IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

unusual leaf on Ceratozamia latifolia x hildae

redbeard917

This photo shows the new leaf on this seedling of the purported cross between Ceratozamia latifolia and hildae. The older leaf is in the right. I think the new leaf is smaller because it has been dry and I have been too busy to even water. Seems to be a tough plant to put up with that and flush, too. I'm not sure if the shape is an aberration or the hildae character showing.

post-841-0-40504800-1414850818_thumb.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Nice plant! I love growing the ceratozamias in North Florida!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

This is a hybrid between Ceratoamia hildaeXCeratozania Mexicana. Just thought maybe you might like to see it.

post-90-0-68888200-1414918644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Krishna, yes they are easy to grow, so far anyway, and the most tropical-looking thing in the garden.

Al, what a great plant. I just bought this seedling off ebay, sight unseen, never having heard of a hybrid in this genus. It looks like the bowtie character is pretty dominant in the leaflets, but the overall form favors the mexicana. Thanks for sharing that. Very unique cycad. Makes my mutant leaflet seem odder though, if I should be expecting normal bowties.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Krishna, yes they are easy to grow, so far anyway, and the most tropical-looking thing in the garden.

Al, what a great plant. I just bought this seedling off ebay, sight unseen, never having heard of a hybrid in this genus. It looks like the bowtie character is pretty dominant in the leaflets, but the overall form favors the mexicana. Thanks for sharing that. Very unique cycad. Makes my mutant leaflet seem odder though, if I should be expecting normal bowties.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 2 months later...

It still looks a little small to be expecting the bowtie leaf. My pure hildae didn't have them until they were larger than what your plant looks to be. I recently bought robusta x miqueliana seeds to try out!

-Krishna

It still looks a little small to be expecting the bowtie leaf. My pure hildae didn't have them until they were larger than what your plant looks to be. I recently bought robusta x miqueliana seeds to try out!

Hmmmm, I recently received a couple of these myself :blush2: Krishna - what is your method of germinating these? Does the baggie method work on cycad seeds? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I usually go by Tom Broome's article (http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/horticulture/seeds.htm) when it comes to germinating cycad seeds.

Im using perlite with some slight water in it for now in a baggie but will be doing the pot method starting in March, has always worked for me before!

-Krishna

The baggie method is a lot better if you are not used to proper seed storage. I don't know if any of you tested these seeds, but these will have at least a 3 month wait period. Keeping them slightly moist in the mean time can be a chore. Putting them in the Miracle Grow Sphagnum Peat without adding any moisture to the medium is perfect to store and germinate these seeds, especially because these hybrid seeds are not 100% viable.

I didn't cut any open because I had so few of them but was informed by the seller they aren't mature yet. I'll switch them over to peat from perlite. Thanks for the advice!

-Krishna

I don't blame you, when you only get a few seeds you pretty much have to guess how far along the seeds are. Most Ceratozamia seeds made in Florida are going to sprout around May, so being it is so early in the year, even guessing will tell you they need to be held for a few months. Luckily I got over 200 of them by the breeder, and was already going to plant many of them but also sell some, so I had enough to test a few and I got the breeder to cut 8 seeds and photograph the cut open seeds before I bought them. One thing that made me think about these was that miqueliana was the pollen donor. Miqueliana usually takes 10 months to sprout, so it is possible that the seedlings that tend towards the miqueliana side, might have slower embryo development. Another good reason to baggie these things.

Good to know, thanks!

-Krishna

• 9 months later...

Update. I'm not neglecting my seedlings as much these days, and this plant is looking healthier. It will have a prime spot under my live oak someday.

IMG_20151114_111302959.jpg

IMG_20151114_111321031_HDR.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 2 years later...

Ceratozamia's are great here in Coastal North Florida!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I have several Ceratozamia latifolia (and I think also a C. robusta mixed in) as well as one Ceratozamia hildae at my other garden in Natchez, Mississippi. When I was up there in early May to get the yard cleaned up for spring I was astonished to see that all of them looked perfect. I'm assuming all of them defoliated in the freeze, but the C. hildae only had a single rather small new leaf, whereas the C. latifolia (and as noted possibly C. robusta) all looked beautiful with several leaves in the crown. No stunting at all in the post-winter flush. People on this forum in eastern Texas and the Mississippi River Valley know that this year--and 2010's long cold spell notwithstanding--was really a nightmare, with the coldest lows for the region in over 20 years. Despite a 9a average in Natchez, the low at our place was 13.5F, five degrees colder than in 2010. C. latifolia is truly one of the best bang-for-the-buck tropicals for areas of the Gulf South/Southeast subject to occasional real cold blasts. I'd love to see it more widely propagated in the trade as an alternative cycad in zone 9a/9b humid subtropical areas, where Cycas revoluta is the one and only usual suspect in landscapes...perhaps even in the 8a/b areas, has anyone tried some of these Ceratozamia up in the I-20 corridor from Dallas to Jackson?

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

@mnorell Yes we have a few dozen coning Hildae, latifolia and Kuesteriana in the ground and they do just fine with afternoon shade in the DFW metroplex.

That's great to know, Joseph...didn't you get down to around 10F this last winter? I wonder if you mulch these above the crown in a cold winter or if they can just take that kind of cold and refoliate without a problem? Just the idea seems kind of crazy. To me, C. latifolia looks so lush and tropical, it's hard for me to believe they can withstand a slight frost let alone something approaching single digits. All I can say is that they are one easy, easy cycad in the humid Gulf south, they just seem to love it there.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 5 years later...
On 11/14/2015 at 11:19 AM, redbeard917 said:

No bow ties yet. I guess that early leaf was just malformed.

IMG_20151114_111311273.jpg

How did your Cz chamberlainii x hildae turn out?

I grew out a few of these and a couple had a few splits but not consistent. I held on to one plant. 

IMG_3156.jpeg

• Like 1

Paul Gallop