IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

gardenshots in Holland

wimmie

This morning, I took some pics of my palms in the garden. Mind you, today is november first and we should see temperatures rise into the twenties C.! I cannot remember happening this ever before (I am 64 years old). Next week temperatures should drop to the more normal figure of 12 C.

The first pic shows some Chamaeropses, the normal humilis and cerifera and a Phoenix dactylifera, the second Phoenix canariensis, Livistona australis, Jubea chilensis, Brahea armata and Chamaerops humilis, the third Trachycarpus princeps and fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, Brahea edulis and Livistona decora, the fourth some Dicksonia's antarctica and the last pic Chamaerops humilis vulcano, Yucca rostrata and some Citrusplants, a Buddha's Hand and a variegated calamondin.

Regards,

Wim.

post-5270-0-70368800-1414837840_thumb.jp

post-5270-0-29021700-1414837860_thumb.jp

post-5270-0-39510000-1414837878_thumb.jp

post-5270-0-99873300-1414837894_thumb.jp

post-5270-0-51694200-1414837910_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Looks lovely. Do you need to do anything to protect your palms from the cold or do they just tough it out through winter?

Pip, in the background of the pic with my Dicksonia's is my frostfree orangery. When frosts are predicted, the palms will be brought inside until the end of March.

Well, I think I am just modest in my hobby, but I know guys who have to hire square meters in a commercial greenhouse because of the size of their palms! In that case, the costs of storage and transportation won't be that modest.

Wim, looks like a sub-tropical garden and noticing all the chairs, you must spend a lot of time in your yard.

I used to live in Albuquerque and my tropicals were outside half the year and inside the other half. My dining room

was my greenhouse, but hey, who needs a dining room anyway.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

WOW love the tree ferns and palms, are you going to put the trachy in the ground. They should be hardy for you yes. Love all the citrus something I’ve never grown before, good job!

WOW love the tree ferns and palms, are you going to put the trachy in the ground. They should be hardy for you yes. Love all the citrus something I’ve never grown before, good job!

No, Roger; this Trachy stays in its container. I have two smaller ones in the ground, but in the past I lost several bigger Trachies, also variegated ones. :sick:

Looking good Wim!

It is unsual but not really suprising to see the warm days in November. In the last few recent years we have seen more temperatures close to 20 degrees in November. I think it is even more amazing that 2014 is very likely to break the record warmest year since started recording. Note that till now the year 2006 had that record, and the year 2007 had the same year average.

Southwest

A nice collection of healthy looking palms, Wim. The Vulcano is a beauty. It is great to see posts from Holland.

A nice collection of healthy looking palms, Wim. The Vulcano is a beauty. It is great to see posts from Holland.

Yes Peter, the vulcano is doing very well; I got it in a tennisbal size!

Groet,

Wim.

This morning, I took some pics of my palms in the garden. Mind you, today is november first and we should see temperatures rise into the twenties C.! I cannot remember happening this ever before (I am 64 years old). Next week temperatures should drop to the more normal figure of 12 C.

The first pic shows some Chamaeropses, the normal humilis and cerifera and a Phoenix dactylifera, the second Phoenix canariensis, Livistona australis, Jubea chilensis, Brahea armata and Chamaerops humilis, the third Trachycarpus princeps and fortunei, Chamaerops humilis, Brahea edulis and Livistona decora, the fourth some Dicksonia's antarctica and the last pic Chamaerops humilis vulcano, Yucca rostrata and some Citrusplants, a Buddha's Hand and a variegated calamondin.

Regards,

Wim.

Impressive looking garden! :wub2:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B