IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

All my Cham tuercks: preparing for winter

PalmatierMeg

This species has the reputation for being tricky to grow but I've accumulated 6 of them and kept them alive and healthy. Five of them came from Dale Holton, the sixth and smallest from Jeff Marcus. They are in pots and will stay potted. My alkaline sandy soil would kill them. What's my secret? They struggled until a couple years ago when I moved them to a plastic shelf unit kept in deep shade under my variegated Adonidia. For some reason that combination of shade, irrigation and rain suited them well and they thrived. The downside for me is that I have to seek them out rather than have them on display.

Anyway, I brought them onto my back lanai for preparation for winter. I fertilized them with Nutricote, drenched their pots with Merit (Cham tuercks are spider mite magnets), sprayed them with Southern Ag Palm Nutritional spray. Today we bought Southern Ag granular Essential Minor Elements to apply. Finally, I sprayed them with a fungicide containing mancozeb to combat cold weather fungus. After all this I will return them to their shady spot for much of the winter - only bringing them indoors if temps fall below 40F. BTW, these are the lowland Mexican variety of Cham tuerck, not the Guatemalan cloud forest variety.

I've also discovered that Chamaedorea tenella also responds favorably to the same shady treatment. I'd lost 4 of my 8 original palms but the survivors have come back after I moved them to the same shady spot in the back yard. I'm encouraged enough that I bought 2 more seedlings from Jeff Marcus.

I took these photos today. My largest Cham tuerck is about 2' tall and is flowering. Unfortunately, the pollinator for this species doesn't exist in FL.

Chamaedorea tuerckheimii x 6

post-1349-0-67274100-1414797888_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-49320900-1414797915_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-30709400-1414797937_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-29574100-1414797961_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-37521200-1414797996_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-98681000-1414798020_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-79031600-1414798047_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-69395800-1414798079_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-82205100-1414798117_thumb.jp

post-1349-0-35206000-1414798206_thumb.jp

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi Meg! Those are as beautiful as any I've seen even in the tropics!

Keep doing what you are doing!

Flowering too! I am jealous.

Cindy Adair

Those are beautiful Meg. I also got 3 of mine from Dale & they look like they are probably from the same batch. Mine are in the ground & fortunately doing quite well, but haven't flowered yet. Check on the Merit though. I don't think it's a mitacide.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Nice rare palms and looking good. Since you do not have the pollinator to pollinate the flowers could you possibly try do some hand pollinating? Might be worth a try as these are very rare or next to impossible to find anymore.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Cindy & Ken, thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Randy. I'll keep that tip in mind.

Al, I don't know if hand pollination works for this species. Maybe someone can tell us. I've never hand-pollinated anything (I'm visually impaired). And only one plant flowered.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Wow, they do look great! I wasn't expecting such a nice looking group. I need to try some.

Say hello to Tim for me.

The 'other' Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow! Lays ain't got nothin' on you! As you know, I have a boy and girl and both are doing well--the male is currently flowering. I maintain you plant them--they are not that hard to grow IMO.

Nice specimens, Meg!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens