IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Avacado

edric

Germinated in 2005, froze off to the ground two winters in a row, this year is the first year it flowered, it had hundreds of tiny avacados on it a few mm across, and just as I expected a week or so they all fell off, today watering I looked up and what did I see, an avacado, I wonder if I'll have a bunch next year, if the winter is mild enough, Ed

post-3109-0-16969700-1414779357_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-29195000-1414779368_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-14283100-1414779379_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-10900800-1414779394_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-56302900-1414779405_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I appreciate it's a seedling, but what cultivar was the parent? I'm amazed you've had them frozen in a 9b climate. Common types like 'hass' 'reed' etc are an easy grow around here at 39S latitude, including many 9b microclimates. I wonder why they should be so cold sensitive there? Good luck anyway!

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

I appreciate it's a seedling, but what cultivar was the parent? I'm amazed you've had them frozen in a 9b climate. Common types like 'hass' 'reed' etc are an easy grow around here at 39S latitude, including many 9b microclimates. I wonder why they should be so cold sensitive there? Good luck anyway!

Thanks Ben, in Dec. 2010 we had our coldest winter in history 4.88 degrees C., and the year before almost as cold, so that may be why, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

It is dry heat that knocks Avocado's around in my location cold is not usually an issue. They are grown commercially in my area on gentle slopes facing away from the sun. I've never tried growing them from seed as I'm to impatient to wait for them to mature.

Its nice to see someone else growing avocados from seed with success. I have a tree that is about 5 years old and 15 feet tall off of what I think was 'Reed'. I'm hoping it will bloom and set some fruit soon. I even tried girdling a few branches to see if that helps out. My tree has been mostly defoliated once and usually sufferers mild cold or heat damage each year on some leaves.