IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germination in Winter

Sabal Steve

B. nobilis - deep pot

Z. antillarum

I plan on using a peat/perlite mix.

I was hoping to either keep them outside in my shed, or to keep them in my house if needed. I don't heat my house, so it will be tied to the ambient temperature.

Any thoughts

i started a few chamaedorea and a couple dypsis species middle of last november and they were all stored outside and grew fine but last year was a real mild winter

I germinate in seed beds in my garage and on top of the hot water heater (in the garage as well) and it works. For the high heat germinators, I use a bottom heat. Good luck!

I'va also had good luck with the "hot water method". Don't set seeds directly on top. I use a small piece of insulation on top as the hot water heater gets kinda too hot.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Several species of cocothrinax, thrinax parviflora, and sabal mauritiiformis. I'm also trying the water heater method on these. Water heater is in the garage. The surface temp has been ranging from low 90's during the day to mid to low 80's at night. I'm anticipating these temps to drop off a little more as we haven't seen our coolest days yet I will continue to try and keep that 90 mark as my day time heating goal. I have had success with some of these species in the past but never tried during winter. Sowed 3 days ago. Any advice or criticism is welcome as I still have alot to learn here

Thanks, Dominic

Keep them with very little moisture, almost dry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 2 weeks later...

I made a little change to my game plan. The water heater was just not consistent enough and not getting the temp where I wanted it. I bought a small heating pad that I can regulate manually and split up all the seeds 50/50 . Put half on heating pad and left half on the water heater. I am stoked that I haven't had any rot on me yet as I am keeping with very little moisture thanks for that tip Matty b. Comments, suggestions welcome

Thanks, dominic

this! .... alot of times i'll sow in coco coir and i'll soak the coir and the squeeze all the moisture out of it so it's just damp.

this! .... alot of times i'll sow in coco coir and i'll soak the coir and the squeeze all the moisture out of it so it's just damp.

thanks kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I had my hands on those seeds over at Chris's house, how did those eckmaniania arrive? Hope their in good shape!

They arrived in good shape. They were tiny, so I'm doing my best to keep them alive. I think one is on it's way to dampening off, but the other two look ok. I think that they'll be fine if they make it through the winter.

• 2 months later...

I made a little change to my game plan. The water heater was just not consistent enough and not getting the temp where I wanted it. I bought a small heating pad that I can regulate manually and split up all the seeds 50/50 . Put half on heating pad and left half on the water heater. I am stoked that I haven't had any rot on me yet as I am keeping with very little moisture thanks for that tip Matty b. Comments, suggestions welcome

Thanks, dominic

still have yet to see any seed germination also none have rotted. been maintaining mid 80 nights and low 90 days. first time trying in the winter months, anyone having success germinating these heat loving species in winter months. my plan was if I could get these to germinate during the cool months then go into summer and get some good growth the first year what do you guys think

dominic

• 2 months later...

2 c.borhidiana seeds germinated the 2 up front in the pic and about 20 or more s.mauritiiformis g erminated which came from a different source that I knew were fresh those are in the background. Did have a few rot on me but the rest are still on the water heater.

Dominic

post-10379-0-89777500-1429712232_thumb.j

I germinate on the water heater in baggies, and cover them with an old tee-shirt to retain heat. Keeps the temperature in the low 90s. Seems to work very well.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com