IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mature Cycas guizhouensis & panzhihuaensis pics?

NorCalWill

Hi,

I have both growing very closely together. They are quite different, the guizhuensis has large leaves with wider leaflets resembling somewhat in this aspect the rumphiana. The panzhihuaensis on the other side has smaller and narrower bluish leaves with also narrow leaflets resembling rather a revoluta. Of course this is prior to trunk forming, because at the latter stage the panzhihuaensis has an obvious aerial trunk in contrast to guizhouensis. My plants cone already, so they are considered mature, but with not apparent trunk yet. I post some handy pictures focusing on the cones (both male), some other members hopefully will bring up pictures enclosing the whole plant.

#1 On the left cone of guizhouensis on the right cone of panzhihuaensis

post-6141-0-42494500-1414739014_thumb.jp

#2 Cone of guizhouensis

post-6141-0-87522600-1414739261_thumb.jp

#3 Cone of panzhihuaensis

post-6141-0-08787700-1414739382_thumb.jp

Thanks for sharing.

Not too many pics on the web for these.

I have both of these cycads, but both are very small at this point.

Geoff, this is an amazing link, thank you!

I could spend days looking at everything.

Interesting note about the name change for C. panzhihuaensis...

• 6 months later...

My panzhihuaensis cones for a second time (BTW anyone interested in pollen?) and now I observed that it formed some tiny fake leaves prior to the development of the cone. I have never noticed anything similar on guizhouensis. Is this a constant distinguishing feature of panzhihuaensis (and probably also other Cycas spss) and is it connected with male or also female cones?

post-6141-0-34316900-1433236629_thumb.jppost-6141-0-91704900-1433236646_thumb.jp

usually the femal e cones but the C panzhuensis male cones are pretty distinctive