IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

B X J vs. J X B? and other hybrid combos?

DoomsDave

Scot from SC's thread on hybrid hardiness piqued my curiosity.

He bought a J X B, but thought it might be a B X J instead.

I have a B and J something, and I'd like to ID it. What's the key differences to the observer?

I recall other threads dealing with Syagrus X Jube and vice versa and one was ugly and one was gorgeous.

Will post a pic of my monster, and monster to be when I escape from the Dark Tower.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am interested in the responses that you get! So far to a layman like myself, the color and form seems to be the easiest things to spot. I was told mine was a F2 J X B, and maybe it is, but I am thinking it somehow is a B X J. I am starting to think mine has more Butia blood in it.

I recall that there is a predictable variation depending on which is the pollen parent. The plants take different forms.

Gary Levine described his jube Syagrus hybrids based on that; one was pretty the other was ugly, both were monsters and fast growing.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That sounds right to me. I think either way, a J X B or a B X J, will be a beautiful palm that is much larger than a standard Butia. I am probably going to order a J X B from Patric, as I have heard nothing but praise for him. He is definitely doing some marvelous hybrids. I think hybrids are going to open up the feather palm selection for folks in zone 8 like me. Right now, the only feather palms that grow safely here are Butias and the hybrid that I have.

My JxB had a spear pull in 2010 while my mules were unfazed. I was beginning to wonder about its true cold hardiness, but this past winter which was just as bad it sailed through, so I am feeling more optimistic.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have both plants, I believe. My BxJ has much more re-curved and V-shaped fronds; the JxB less re-curved and flatter. I guess, as you'd expect given the discussion on the other thread about mitochondrial DNA and all that jazz. :)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Well, I don't know exactly what they are, but someone will tell me.

Here's the first, Mr. Big (Ms. Big?)

About 5 feet tall overall

post-208-0-83550700-1414547907_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Close up of leaflets (pinnae)

post-208-0-33904900-1414548098_thumb.jpg

another shot

post-208-0-47930600-1414548564_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

The base

About 10" (25 cm) across, more or less

post-208-0-40093000-1414548875_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's the other, a lot smaller, sold as Bute Jube cross, but don't know which is the pollen parent.

About 3 feet (1 m) tall and as wide.

post-208-0-67468600-1414549150_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Close up of leaflets

post-208-0-87933300-1414549395_thumb.jpg

Just love this shot

gorgeous crown

post-208-0-51379400-1414549532_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

doink

Here is B x J in Augusta, GA This picture is several years old. The palm is actually bigger now.

BxJwithseed2007.jpg

And a different B x J in Augusta, GA. Both of these came from Dr. Merrill Wilcox.

DSCN1858.jpg

• Upvote 6

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

And here is supposed to be a Butia x Syagrus from Dr. Wilcox. It doesn't quite look right to me.....not enough Syagrus.

DSCN1537.jpg

• Upvote 3

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

And the seed from a massive Butia in Augusta. The trunk is easily twice the diameter of any others that I have seen around town and the seed arrangement is decidedly different from other Butias.

DSCN0953.jpg

• Upvote 3

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Thanks for the photos! Great plants!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Here is B x J in Augusta, GA This picture is several years old. The palm is actually bigger now.

BxJwithseed2007.jpg

And a different B x J in Augusta, GA. Both of these came from Dr. Merrill Wilcox.

:drool::drool::drool:

Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for posting Joseph

Edited by Josh76

Awesome photos. Looks as if you need loads of room in order to sufficiently encompass a B x J's size. Do B x PJ's have equally large "wingspan" like the above specimens?

LeVert, you have provided another good reason to get on down to Augusta . . .

B x J's are massive trees with hugh trunks. They take up a lot of space for a long time, since they don't grow tall very quickly. I have gingers growing under one of mine, but in the winter you can really see how big the trunk is when the gingers are down.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

large is well, LARGE

scream

Augusta hoo hoo hoo

BxJwithseed2007.jpg

:drool::drool::drool:

Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for posting Joseph

Josh, that palm is down right silvery blue and gorgeous!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Josh, that palm is down right silvery blue and gorgeous!!

Word! :greenthumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/28/2014, 7:19:16, DoomsDave said:

Here's the other, a lot smaller, sold as Bute Jube cross, but don't know which is the pollen parent.

About 3 feet (1 m) tall and as wide.

post-208-0-67468600-1414549150_thumb.jpg

DoomsDave, I wonder how this jubaea hybrid palm turn out to be now? Any current pictures and update. 

@xvang01 here it is!

About 8 feet (2.6 M) tall and wide. Note the chair to the right, for normal-sized people.

43DE05D5-A90F-4795-A889-3E6FFA5AB1D7.thu

• Upvote 3

Here’s a prettier picture 

59D659DA-8298-47C3-BDB6-E99F567652FD.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

@JubaeaMan138 came and got my other Bute-Jube hybrid last fall, and maybe he'll update us on how it's doing?

Jubaea hybrid is doing good. I am thinking it is doing good I think the move was successful but only time will tell. It's a big plant when I got to daves and seen it I thought there is no way we can move this . But we got it with the help of a hoist that mounts to the receiver on my truck . It only lost 2 of the fronds they browned up so I cut them . But I think the browning was just from us damaging the fronds during move . It is still holding 3 original fronds and they are still holding there color and it seems to be pushing new still. I will try to grab some pictures this afternoon 

• Upvote 1

My JxB suffered 100% foliage loss at 17, which is odd as both parents are hardier.  My Butia was totally unaffected by the same temps.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

16 hours ago, _Keith said:

My JxB suffered 100% foliage loss at 17, which is odd as both parents are hardier.  My Butia was totally unaffected by the same temps.

Ice.

I have had mixed results with these.  Juveniles seem to have bud rot and/or die with my cold, wet winters.  This one took and is one of my favorites so far,  Planted June 2012 from a 2G tree pot.  Compare to Butia x Parajubaea cocoides planted at the same time from a 1G tree pot (foreground).  It looks nicer when not backlit, but the first picture portrays the size better.

Copy of DSCN3535.jpg

Copy of DSCN3551.jpg

• Upvote 3

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A