IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Office Palms!

Funkthulhu

Saw MattyB's post about indoor canopies the other day and thought we could expand.

Show us where you work! What do you have in your office?

Personally, I use my office space to protect some of my stuff from the salad-bar cat at home.

CAM02777_zpsfhrcd4ep.jpg

Left to Right - D. Lutescens, Christmas palm, Ch. costaricana, Ch. glaucafolia

CAM02779_zpseon7koxj.jpg

Some broms, a croton, and a mangrove

CAM02780_zpsxc6ir1s1.jpg

Sea Grape, Phil, and Ch. elegans

BONUS:

CAM02781_zps3coas3dp.jpg

I honestly don't know what happened to this Phil, but the newer leaves are over 10 inches long and 8 across.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Awesome! Some palminess in cubebland! Love it. I had a Phil. once that did the same thing. Got monster leaves. I don't think it was a light intensity thing. I just figured it was happy.

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's some serious palminess in Brenaska!

Cats will nibble palms for the same reason they like grass, I think. Hack up the hairballs.

I think that Phil is a Pothos, and when they get happy they get steroidal. (Maybe Philodendron is a synonym?)

Saw some in Florida that engulfed large trees. There was one in a taco joint in La Habra that grew about 60 feet long and wound around the interior of the place before they took it out. You can still see where the hold-fasts are holding fast to the walls, 15 feet above the floor.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow, you really decked out that office! Nice work.

Here's my one and only palm in my office. Chamaedorea linearis.

post-126-0-99106000-1414079860_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's a philodendron/pothos growing up my cabbage palms. They stay small leaved on the ground but once they attach themselves to a tree they fatten up and get huge leaves that get splits and holes in them, you know, the good kind.

Here's the only indoor palm that I have, can anyone figure out what it is. It also serves as a Christmas tree.

post-9514-0-88123100-1414080258_thumb.jp

post-9514-0-12933600-1414080075_thumb.jp

Edited by Palmdude
  • Upvote 1

Fun topic! Here's my office coconut I bought from HD last spring. It's been very steady and pretty easy. I also have a coconut I brought back from the Big Island germinating on the window sill. I'm still waiting on that one...

That's all for now, but you can bet this westward-facing view will be filling up with seedlings (namely a few dozen Pembanas) in the coming cool weeks!

edit: Not sure why the picture is sideways. It's correct on my phone and desktop.

post-9980-0-30284100-1414081278_thumb.jp

Edited by scionfriar
  • Upvote 1

Candy corn season!

As soon as Halloween is over, the winter nut bowl comes out. Sometimes, if I'm feeling especially generous, I put out a couple pounds of pistachios.

Palmdude, your palm appears fake.

I've seen that same one at the 99 Cent store a few times, usually as a mini-sago with a fuzzy caudex and those same leaves.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Did you know that surplus candy corn is sold to 3rd world countries to be used to pave roads.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/31/bill-mann-candy-corn/3324863/

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

My "office" is my car, so recruited the wife to send me a pic of what I gave her to have at work. Even though it's a dry environment the palms really seem to love the warmth and bright light.

Chameadorea Radicalus I grew from seed.

"Bella" palm ( I really dislike these)

Mexican Fan palm I grew from seed

Dwarf Betel Nut Palm

post-9928-0-83592300-1414089138_thumb.jp

Fantastic displays everyone! :) Inspired by realarch's "challenge" in the "morning coffee" thread I also have "office palms" in mind - but in a very different context. New thread coming up momentarily... :mrlooney: And I might add that I have a total of zero palms (or plants for that matter) indoors.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Token office palm in the lobby. (Stupid camera phone)

post-216-0-27062800-1414101026_thumb.jpg

Small office means small plants. I am so ashamed not to have a palm in here. :blush2: These plants tolerate a lot of abuse.

post-216-0-01166100-1414101194_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Lol Dave!

That's good to know and explains why it has literally stood still with zero growth and fairly dusty leaves for the last few years!

Thanks for the ID :)

Edited by Palmdude

• 9 months later...

What a difference 10 months makes!

20150804_105154_zpsiornis3j.jpg

20150804_105219_zpsh4cz9avf.jpg20150804_105237_zpsnvb3khz9.jpg20150804_105306_zpsb93t2end.jpg