IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

mandatory water restrictions hit San Diego

Pete in Paradise Hills

Those are less stringent than we've had up here since earlier in the year. I've cut water use this year considerably through installation of drip systems, and achieved better growth than when I was using a lot more water.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

"Councilman David Alvarez said the water-saving measures are not expected to impact residents' quality of life."

They don't know this group!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

"Councilman David Alvarez said the water-saving measures are not expected to impact residents' quality of life."

They don't know this group!

obviously no palm enthusiasts on City Council...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I believe they limited watering lawns to 3 times per week, and 7 mins per station. Unless they restrict the # of units we use, it wont matter. I assume there is still watering restrictions/bans between 10 - 6.

So stupid! Everyone should always be doing these things mandated by Level 2 Restrictions. Come on people, relax. People honestly don't think about not letting their hose run down the street while they're washing their car, or letting the sprinklers run for 45 minutes while it runs down the street 100 yards into the strorm drain, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure most of us already do all of this stuff.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Allof San Diego's water sources are also suffering drought, potentially a fourth year in a row if we don't get rains this winter. Time to acknowledge we ALL need to make an effort to conserve water. If we don't get rains this winter, water rationing will get more restrictive, and people who don't comply may find their meters cut-off. Look at how badly impacted smallest unincorporated towns in the San Joaquin Valley are suffering with no well water available, and no municipal delivery system, or the vast farm acreage not being planted because of no water deliveries available. It's painful to read about southern California avocado ranches being bulldozed or cut back to stumps due to no water. Hopefully the Metropolitan Water District will continue to encourage lawn removals via rebates as other dry towns such as Las Vegas have, it can make a huge difference. You've also got that new Carlsbad Desal Plant coming on-line soon, plus continuing efforts to treat reclaimed water and bank for re-use by recharging the water table. The reality is, we just don't have the water to waste, and the general public will have to adapt. There are still a lot more areas to conserve water; mandatory pool covers, no lawns permitted on narrow parkway strips or for commercial landscaping, continued programs to encourage fixing leaks, replacing less efficient toilets, etc. Per-residence unit water quotas may be in all our futures as soon as next summer without good rains this winter.

Allof San Diego's water sources are also suffering drought, potentially a fourth year in a row if we don't get rains this winter. Time to acknowledge we ALL need to make an effort to conserve water. If we don't get rains this winter, water rationing will get more restrictive, and people who don't comply may find their meters cut-off. Look at how badly impacted smallest unincorporated towns in the San Joaquin Valley are suffering with no well water available, and no municipal delivery system, or the vast farm acreage not being planted because of no water deliveries available. It's painful to read about southern California avocado ranches being bulldozed or cut back to stumps due to no water. Hopefully the Metropolitan Water District will continue to encourage lawn removals via rebates as other dry towns such as Las Vegas have, it can make a huge difference. You've also got that new Carlsbad Desal Plant coming on-line soon, plus continuing efforts to treat reclaimed water and bank for re-use by recharging the water table. The reality is, we just don't have the water to waste, and the general public will have to adapt. There are still a lot more areas to conserve water; mandatory pool covers, no lawns permitted on narrow parkway strips or for commercial landscaping, continued programs to encourage fixing leaks, replacing less efficient toilets, etc. Per-residence unit water quotas may be in all our futures as soon as next summer without good rains this winter.

Good points, but San Diego's new downtown water park is unaffected. That thing cost a ton of money to build and now maintain, shooting out water all day long...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

The price increases in my district of Ramona Municipal Water District has caused me to make my own mandatory restrictions. I have removed 30% of my palms now and will be removing another 20%. Other than my very favorite palms, the era of palm collecting is over for me.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

The people that they need to cut back are the giant agro businesses that use too much water already.

Im talking about the crazy Mega Almond growers in my area that pay pennies for acre feet of water just a get a mega crop... the trees should be trained to produce without much summer water like in Europe.

At least in these lean water years..

Also, the inner cities need water meters.

It seems mandatory metering starts in the middle class areas and no plans on putting them into crappy areas until forced to do so by the courts.

So they have all the green lawns and flooded street gutters, while the middle class is forced to cut back in my town.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

The people that they need to cut back are the giant agro businesses that use too much water already.

Im talking about the crazy Mega Almond growers in my area that pay pennies for acre feet of water just a get a mega crop... the trees should be trained to produce without much summer water like in Europe.

It seems mandatory metering starts in the middle class areas and no plans on putting them into crappy areas until forced to do so by the courts.

So they have all the green lawns and flooded street gutters, while the middle class is forced to cut back in my town.

Yep, so true. The water these restrictions will save is so small compared to what can be required in other areas. Just like Matt said, this is all common sense stuff, but so is requiring high water use crop producers to start moving to more water conscious choices. Since CA likes subsidies, I am sure they could help fund the transition. Look at the water use sample in the chart below. Puts things into perspective.

post-649-0-88447300-1413908579_thumb.jpg

Freshwater use in California (Source: [3]). Note: MF - Multifamily, SF - Single Family.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So stupid! Everyone should always be doing these things mandated by Level 2 Restrictions. Come on people, relax. People honestly don't think about not letting their hose run down the street while they're washing their car, or letting the sprinklers run for 45 minutes while it runs down the street 100 yards into the strorm drain, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure most of us already do all of this stuff.

agreed! ... one of my neighbors, who tends to waste ALOT of water on his landscape, told me last week about water restrictions that just hit our area and i asked him what kind of restrictions were put on us. the restrictions were pretty much watering only 3 times a week, grass only 15min per time and making sure there's a hose head on when you're washing your car.

My Diamondia margarete lawn replacement is almost complete. During establishment it's been getting about the same amount of water as turf. I'm looking forward to turning off the irrigation on it this Winter, and then seeing how little it will require next summer. One thing I didn't take into account was the effect of dog urine. Unfortunately the two large girl dogs can kill large patches with one piss, so we'll see how that goes. :hmm:

post-126-0-67004600-1413911024_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yep, so true. The water these restrictions will save is so small compared to what can be required in other areas. Just like Matt said, this is all common sense stuff, but so is requiring high water use crop producers to start moving to more water conscious choices. Since CA likes subsidies, I am sure they could help fund the transition. Look at the water use sample in the chart below. Puts things into perspective.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Freshwater use in California (Source: [3]). Note: MF - Multifamily, SF - Single Family.

Agriculture uses such a huge amount of water, particularly where large amounts of fertilizers and pesticides are also used.

I'll bet the blue part of Len's chart will look like Pac Man with his mouth nearly shut in a wet year.

That said, ag is a money maker for California. Or, was. I've driven by many unwatered and dead or dying orange and avocado groves in northern San Diego county lately.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Good points, but San Diego's new downtown water park is unaffected. That thing cost a ton of money to build and now maintain, shooting out water all day long...

That's because our city just does what it wants, often times through unilateral city council action. They have their own priorities.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Agriculture uses such a huge amount of water, particularly where large amounts of fertilizers and pesticides are also used.

I'll bet the blue part of Len's chart will look like Pac Man with his mouth nearly shut in a wet year.

That said, ag is a money maker for California. Or, was. I've driven by many unwatered and dead or dying orange and avocado groves in northern San Diego county lately.

When you look at the numbers Dave you can see this mandatory change is basically effecting only 6% of the water use pie. Yet makes a the headlines. I also guarantee when we cut back watwr districts will raise rates they have every other mandatory restrictions. It is a money maker for them. Once the rates go up, they don't go back down.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

My Diamondia margarete lawn replacement is almost complete. During establishment it's been getting about the same amount of water as turf. I'm looking forward to turning off the irrigation on it this Winter, and then seeing how little it will require next summer. One thing I didn't take into account was the effect of dog urine. Unfortunately the two large girl dogs can kill large patches with one piss, so we'll see how that goes. :hmm:

i was going to do sod in the back corner of my yard but will be using D.margaretae as well with stepping stones/pavers. how far apart did you space individual plants and how long did it take to spread?

Edited by KennyRE317

I was going to ask the same questions, plus can you walk on it much? what kind of durability does it display for human or animal traffic (beyond the urine problem)?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I have received my over-fill of rain this year too, BUT that doesn't mean we ALL can't conserve water. Just because we have plenty now doesn't mean that what is going on in parts of California can't happen here. I remember all not too long ago that we were under severe water restrictions and the rivers were WAY below normal levels. I can also remember pictures of docks in the paper that had water nowhere near them. It doesn't hurt if EVERYONE does their part. This is a fickle planet we live on.

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

Screw 'em! Quit building homes until this over, then we'll see. Unless you're using Hunter PGP's 7 minutes is plenty. Besides, the only useful places for turf are baseball fields and public parks, and they normally use reclaimed. Lawns have gone the way of phone booths, pet rocks, and Milli Vanilli.

Typical behavior of large bureaucracies (aka government). When times are good, let the good times roll. Whatever you do, don't plan or worry about the lean years that are guaranteed to follow.

As soon as this drought ends (if it does), thoughts of preparing for the next one will drop back to the bottom of the to do list.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Screw 'em! Quit building homes until this over, then we'll see. Unless you're using Hunter PGP's 7 minutes is plenty. Besides, the only useful places for turf are baseball fields and public parks, and they normally use reclaimed. Lawns have gone the way of phone booths, pet rocks, and Milli Vanilli.

Unfortunately, SD is becoming the next LA. The population density is quickly increasing due to more multi unit/multi family structures. I fear that one day SD and LA will be one giant, contiguoius mass (even more so than now). Even North County has grown substantially since I moved here. That said, with the climate we have, the quality of life is pretty good. I can't think of anywhere in the continental US that can hold a candle to our weather.

• Upvote 1

I hadn't heard of that Diamondonia groundcover. Do people use super dwarf mondo grass out there? I don't know about its drought tolerance, but it is at least slower growing than lawn grass, so it might not need as much water. I believe Kathryn from this forum has an area of lawn planted with it. I'm trying it now in areas too shady for grass. Seems to do pretty well around stepping stones and such.

mZsQoGNkLSKsNemRUjmwc7A.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Mission valley in san diego used to be farm land less than a hundred yrs ago. These farms got there water from the river running through it .Now it is filled with condos and shopping malls and the river just flows out to sea bringing all the toxic run off with it. And yet there still building more water sucking condos. Drought or bad planning you decide

I was going to ask the same questions, plus can you walk on it much? what kind of durability does it display for human or animal traffic (beyond the urine problem)?

there's a few yards around me that have replaced their entire front lawn with Dymondia margaretae but i don't think the front lawns see any type of foot traffic. i've heard that they do pretty well with decent foot traffic

I walk all over the Diamondia, everyday, and it doesn't mind it at all. I planted little clumps from flats and spaced them 12" apart. It's very slow to fill in but that makes it easy to maintain edges once established. The established roots are like carrots, so I'm using plenty of water, and watering deep during this initial phase.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

My experience with Dymondia is that it does just fine with once a week watering here in the SF Bay Area, and I typically plant plugs from mud flats at 6"oc, which fills in completely within 8~12 months. More water gets it filled in faster. It easily takes light foot traffic without problems, but is best with flagstone if you have a constant pathway you need to accommodate.

Dwarf Mondo Grass is also a good walk-on, lower water-use-than-turf alternative for shadier situations, and I have used it as a lawn alternative here in the SF Bay Area also. It does probably need more regular water than Dymondia. Both are easy to grow/establish here, as it never gets all that hot in summer, and both could probably survive just fine with once every 3rd week irrigation if push came to shove. Carex tumilicola/Berkeley Sedge is another lawn substitute I use in landscape designs, but it does require occasional mowing in summer, the others don't!

The price increases in my district of Ramona Municipal Water District has caused me to make my own mandatory restrictions. I have removed 30% of my palms now and will be removing another 20%. Other than my very favorite palms, the era of palm collecting is over for me.

That's sad to hear Gary. My daughter lives near Gympie here in Queensland she had to buy water last week for personal and drinking use, her tanks were drying up, she has no town water, everything is dry as a desert up her way but oh so very fortunately she is allowed to pump into her neighbours large dam for garden water usage.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I walk all over the Diamondia, everyday, and it doesn't mind it at all. I planted little clumps from flats and spaced them 12" apart. It's very slow to fill in but that makes it easy to maintain edges once established. The established roots are like carrots, so I'm using plenty of water, and watering deep during this initial phase.

Matt, this summer my Dymondia needed a nice soaking once a week to combat the intense heat we had. It is pretty tough stuff and any damage it endures it recovers quickly.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

My San Diego garden is well within the water restrictions. I will remove my 500 square feet of grass when the golf courses do the same.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Grass is a pain in the [rear]. I have too many palms anyway; even the weed grasses don't want to grow much. Wood chips and brick pathways. Give away the lawn mower, the Turf Builder, the Super Green.

Listen to the rustle of the palms. :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Matt, this summer my Dymondia needed a nice soaking once a week to combat the intense heat we had. It is pretty tough stuff and any damage it endures it recovers quickly.

That's good to know Gary. Eventually I'd like to be at watering it a deep soaking only once a month during summer. Not sure if that'll happen, but I'll be keeping a fine compost applied on top to try and enrich the soil. I'll probably add some flagstones eventually.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"