IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x syagrus cold tolerance

tank

Finally threw down the cash for one of these a couple months ago and was hoping to plant it out in the most prominent spot in my yard as a centerpiece next spring. The large yucca that is planted there has finally succumbed to weevils and I decided to give this hybrid a try in its spot. This spot is also very exposed and will get the brunt of any cold we get.

I can generally expect mid 20sF to upper teens every year in my yard.

Any info on cold tolerance information for this hybrid is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Check out this link from this very site: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36214-jubaea-x-syagrus-2013/

I definitely would like to get one of these too. I Only have a Jubaea X Butia hybrid right now. Let me know how it does for you.

Thanks,

I did a search but missed this post.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Mine has been fine in Ocala. Only problem was spear pull the first few winters, I think because the crown got wet before the freezes.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Mine has been fine in Ocala. Only problem was spear pull the first few winters, I think because the crown got wet before the freezes.

Krishna,

Thanks for the info. Would love to see a photo of your hybrid when you get the opportunity.

As we discussed when you stopped by this spring/summer, ALL of my coccosoid hybrids seem to lose their spears the first few winters they are planted out and they all quickly rebound.

The plant I received from Patric is much smaller than the other hybrids that I have received from him so I'm having to take extra precautions to keep it from getting destroyed by deer, squirrels, etc. Hopefully it will put on some size this winter in the greenhouse.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason, where did you get your hybrid? Do they sell to the public?

Patric Schafer in northern California

coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

Tank, I also have one of these and am very stoked to have it. With such parents, I don't think where you are, will be much of an issue. I think we are all hoping for a palm that looks like Gary's? At least that's why I pulled the trigger on one...

I bought 3 J X Q for Patric last year as small 4" bands.(they were very small) They got shifted into 5 Gal pots right from the start. Not only are they cold hardy they are speedy little guys. in 1 year they rooted into 5 gals and are now 12-14" tall. 1-2-3 blast off!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Good to hear about your hybrids from Patric. Just received a leggy Yatay x Queen from him so anxious to see it's growth.

that's awesome Scott!! keep us posted on its progress!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I would have loved to have bought a JxQ but he didn't have any small(affordable) ones, just a larger one for $225

Post new pics of yours when you can.

I've been growing a jxq in a citrus pot for over a year and am very impressed with the speed of growth. Its always green and healthy despite getting minimal attention. It cruised through last years ice storm and week long temps below freezing into the mid 20s. No damage at all.

I've been growing a jxq in a citrus pot for over a year and am very impressed with the speed of growth. Its always green and healthy despite getting minimal attention. It cruised through last years ice storm and week long temps below freezing into the mid 20s. No damage at all.

Hmmm, sounds like I must have. Michael, get transferred up north somewhere, lol

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ha, not anymore my friend. I travel to San fran once a month now and thats about it. I only have 1 palm left from my Houston days. It made it through Oregon, defoliated and through relocation still going strong. Problem is I have no idea what it is. I know it is a hybrid of some sort, could be an older jxq or possibly a yatay mule. One thing I do know is it has syagrus in it.

Ha, not anymore my friend. I travel to San fran once a month now and thats about it. I only have 1 palm left from my Houston days. It made it through Oregon, defoliated and through relocation still going strong. Problem is I have no idea what it is. I know it is a hybrid of some sort, could be an older jxq or possibly a yatay mule. One thing I do know is it has syagrus in it.

Next time you make it down to Tigerland, plan for a stop to see your old Mules. That yatay Mule is a show-stopper

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I'm growing one of these in Dallas. When small it had spear pull from a low temp of 23*. It's gained hardiness w/size. The leaves are 8' long now w/ approx 2' of trunk. It survived last winter's low of 16* and 72 hours below freezing- but I did have it wrapped with blankets.

I'm growing one of these in Dallas. When small it had spear pull from a low temp of 23*. It's gained hardiness w/size. The leaves are 8' long now w/ approx 2' of trunk. It survived last winter's low of 16* and 72 hours below freezing- but I did have it wrapped with blankets.

Are you referring to a Jubaea x Syagrus? Did you by any chance get it from Patric?

If you can, pictures please! I'm in 8A as well and if its growing your way, then that gives me a little more confidence.

• 10 months later...

So I got one of these hybrids from Patric in 2011, I planted it out in the spring of 2013.  It has grown like a weed.  I did protect it the first winter 2013 but not last year 2014 where the low at my house was 21oF. The tip of the tallest frond is now probably 10 feet tall.  It has no over head protection at all and gets sun from 8AM-7PM in the summer.  It appears it grows more between November and April, than during the dead of summer.  There is a pic of mine in the link provided by Scott from SC at the start of this thread, its at the top of the 4th page.  It has grown since then, the trunk has gained several inches in girth. I speculate this hybrid is hardy into the mid teens, similar to that of a mule. I also have the following hybrids from Patric; JxB, BJxJ, BcxPJC and BcxPJSunka.  The JxB has grown very slowly but starting to pick up speed, the BJxJ has sadly languished in a pot and will go in the ground in the spring and hopefully take off.  The BcxPJC and BcxPJSunka, were strap leafs and are in 3 gallon pots, I plan to let these get some size before planting out, the BcxPJC has started to send out its first pinnate frond. I also got a pure Jubaea chilensis to try, it was planted out this spring and has done OK so far and sent out 1-2 fronds.  And we had a wet spring here in north central Florida so the constant moisture doesn't seem to be a issue as yet.  I will try to get pictures to post here soon.  I would love to see updates of other peoples hybrids, thanks

Craig

The updates are great but..... I'm dying to see some pics. If he's got them I'm gonna splurge for 2 J x Q this spring. I'm curious as to the girth of the trunk. Gary Levine reports his is about 24 inches. Is that what everyone else is seeing as an expectation for trunk size.

The updates are great but..... I'm dying to see some pics. If he's got them I'm gonna splurge for 2 J x Q this spring. I'm curious as to the girth of the trunk. Gary Levine reports his is about 24 inches. Is that what everyone else is seeing as an expectation for trunk size.

I second your motion. All these hybrids getting talker about without a single photo.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I just asked Patric for an up dated list of palms, he has strap leaf JxS for $150 and then JxS in 4" by 10" tree pots for $250, so they are quite the investment, and in zones colder than 9a probably they would need to be grown to a larger size before planting out.  He did not say how many off each size he had.  So that's the update with JxS.

I am going to take some pics of my hybrids over the weekend and post, although other than the JxS most are small, thanks

Craig

Edited by 8B palms

No reason to buy anything bigger than a strap-leafer IMO.  

Last May when my daughter was born:

10356365_10152038469152234_3015995397146

This May when my daughter was 1:

11217674_10152769499137234_4444952892031

This month:

12108963_10153058499412234_6212512241132

Edited by Ben in Norcal
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Very nice!

This palm grown very fast. I didn't try yet.

Other question. About your plant label. Do you make it by yourself?

Sincerely.

I have got one not much behind yours and i would love to plant it out, but I am worried

that it might not be hardier to frost than butiagrus. Which isn't enough for my place.

Who's got one that came through lower temperature than - 5° C (23° fahrenheit) unscathed?

Marcel

Very nice!

This palm grown very fast. I didn't try yet.

Other question. About your plant label. Do you make it by yourself?

Sincerely.

A chap named Gary Wood makes them for me.  He used to be an avid palm collector, but now lives in Idaho.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

No reason to buy anything bigger than a strap-leafer IMO.  

Last May when my daughter was born:

10356365_10152038469152234_3015995397146

This May when my daughter was 1:

11217674_10152769499137234_4444952892031

This month:

12108963_10153058499412234_6212512241132

I've bought both sizes from Patric(k) Shafer. I'd say the larger size is roughly one year older. Both sizes grow at an incredible rate. You get your moneys worth either way. BTW Ben do you have Gary Wood's web site or email address for buying these custom labels?

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 75, Lo 48

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Well I finally got some pictures of my Jubaea x Syagrus, its about 14 inches in diameter and has a circumference of about 42 inches, in the picture I placed a 6 foot metal fence post for scale

IMG_9344.JPG

IMG_9348.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So I also got some pics of other hybrids I got from patric which I have growing in my yard.  The 1st pic is my Jubaea x Butia, its been in the ground almost 2 years, it is slow, putting out maybe 2-3 fronds per year. So the sun came out so I took another pic of my Jubaea x Syagrus.  The 3rd pic is Butia odorata x parajubaea cocoides and the 4th pic is Butia odorata x Parajubaea sunkah, both of these palms were small strap leafs when I got them a year ago, the Bo x Pc is trying to send out its first true pinnate frond, quite impressed with the growth from this hybrid. I plan to let these both of these get more size to them before planting in the ground, maybe spring of 2017. The 5th pic is my (Butia odorata x Jubaea chilensis) x Jubaea chilensis, it has been in the pot for about 2 years, you would not have even known it was there until I pulled all the weeds out earlier today, amazing it is still alive. I plan to plant this out in the spring next year. The last pic is a pure Jubaea chilensis, I got it see how it would hold up.  I know they prefer cool and less humid weather and typically don't do well in the south east, especially Florida  This was planted out in March of this year.  Here in north Florida we had a very wet spring, so far this Jc is holding its own, it has put out 2 fronds this year, I'll keep people posted on the progress of these palms.

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by 8B palms
pictures in the correct secuence
  • Upvote 2

Wow!! Awesome pics of your hybrids. The JXS is huge for Florida standards! It seems to be showing more of the Syagrus traits than the ones in California do. I wonder what it'll look like as a mature palm. It looks like it's growing pretty fast though, so I doubt you'll have to wait long to find out!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

8B palms- I love the pics, definitely keep us updated. All of us in the Southeast are still gathering information on how these hybrids do and threads like this are great. Your JxS has to be one of the bigger, if not biggest in the Southeast- unless anyone knows differently. I'm sure it will do fine in Gainesville even without protection going forward. I have one as well and I'm waiting on it to get some more size on it and see how it takes our winters here in central South Carolina. Mine of course is still in a pot and is growing steadily. I'm sure once I place it in ground it will take off like yours. Thanks for the pics and good luck this winter.

So I believe there is a larger one than mine in Ocala, about 30 miles south of me, but its hard to say who has them and where. So below is the current availability from Patric and the prices, shipping is extra.  His packaging is excellent, and everything I have gotten has done well, I recommend purchasing from him.

BXJ $ 25
BJXJ $ 45
BJ X Q $35
JXB $45
J X Q $ 150 4x10” @ $ 250
BXQ $ 35
B. PARAGUAYENSIS X QUEEN $ 35
YATAY X Q $35
YATAY X J 45
B X PJ COCOIDES $ 125 , 4X10” @ $ 200
B. paraguayensisX pj cocoides @ $100
Trachycarpus wag @ $15
Jubaea, all sorts of sizes
Micro ( 3X10) $25

So I also got some pics of other hybrids I got from patric which I have growing in my yard.  The 1st pic is my Jubaea x Butia, its been in the ground almost 2 years, it is slow, putting out maybe 2-3 fronds per year. So the sun came out so I took another pic of my Jubaea x Syagrus.  The 3rd pic is Butia odorata x parajubaea cocoides and the 4th pic is Butia odorata x Parajubaea sunkah, both of these palms were small strap leafs when I got them a year ago, the Bo x Pc is trying to send out its first true pinnate frond, quite impressed with the growth from this hybrid. I plan to let these both of these get more size to them before planting in the ground, maybe spring of 2017. The 5th pic is my (Butia odorata x Jubaea chilensis) x Jubaea chilensis, it has been in the pot for about 2 years, you would not have even known it was there until I pulled all the weeds out earlier today, amazing it is still alive. I plan to plant this out in the spring next year. The last pic is a pure Jubaea chilensis, I got it see how it would hold up.  I know they prefer cool and less humid weather and typically don't do well in the south east, especially Florida  This was planted out in March of this year.  Here in north Florida we had a very wet spring, so far this Jc is holding its own, it has put out 2 fronds this year, I'll keep people posted on the progress of these palms.

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

That Butia (mutt) x Parajubaea sunkha may not look like much now, but wait a few months and it should take off like a rocket. The one I bought last year (Oct.) looked like yours until 3 months ago, then it started to accelerate. It has doubled in size since then. The second one I bought this year (Sep.) looks a little smaller than yours (much like my first one did the first ten months). You can see both palms here (as of Sep). The oldest one has grown 2 more leaves since then. I will try to post more pics this spring.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 67, Lo 53 - some rain

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego