IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the view from my chair, #indoorcanopy

MattyB

My C. klotschiana is tall enough now that I've moved it out into the middle of the room and it is now canopy over my lounge chair.

post-126-0-87263300-1413776230_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-89752900-1413776328_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Love this kind of thing, MattyB.

I just took what might be the final photo of my oldest palm, a Ravenea rivularis I've had for nearly 8 years. It's just too big to move up and down stairs and too tall for the basement growing area anyway. So I'm going to either relocated it to my office building atrium or donate to the Lauritzen Gardens here in town. (I'm keeping the flamingo)

Needless to say, I am thoroughly enjoying my time reading on the chase lounge as the view is very comforting to this palm nut.

CAM02766_zpsvgx3jaon.jpg

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Nice! Is the cat real?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yes, that's Clorox. She has a unique ability to randomly show up in the background of any photo I take in the house. . .

• Upvote 1

Yes, that's Clorox. She has a unique ability to randomly show up in the background of any photo I take in the house. . .

I face a similiar problem with a dog of mine :laugh2:

post-6141-0-63887800-1413827317_thumb.jp

Ken, sometimes it stares at me. . . I think it moves when I'm not looking. Sometimes to another pot!

Funkthulhu

Have you been to the newly opened conservatory at Lauretzen Gardens? Went there 10/18/14. Doesn't seem as big inside as it does outside. Nice but very basic array of palms other than the many Lipstick palms. Still, were lucky here in Omaha that there is always money donation for the gardens and zoo we have here.

Let me know if you take your palm to them. Many of my exotics will indeed grow too big for my house and winter storage so will be looking to them as a place to donate my palms for others to enjoy.

Be aware that all not all potential donors will want your donations. Check with them first; if they say no, maybe do a Craigslist give away.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I actually got a reply asking for pictures. If they say no I have a back up plan to take it to my workplace in Lincoln. However, I was under the impression that, after the opening of the new conservatory, they would be in need of other tropicals to space around the park during the warmer months. (They over winter in the maintenance green-house)

I just took what might be the final photo of my oldest palm, a Ravenea rivularis I've had for nearly 8 years. It's just too big to move up and down stairs and too tall for the basement growing area anyway. So I'm going to either relocated it to my office building atrium or donate to the Lauritzen Gardens here in town. (I'm keeping the flamingo)

Needless to say, I am thoroughly enjoying my time reading on the chase lounge as the view is very comforting to this palm nut.

CAM02766_zpsvgx3jaon.jpg

Man cave

CAM02766_zpsvgx3jaon.jpg

Sooo good

Actually, not to hijack Matt's thread, but this is just the library. I'm sitting on the stairs and there are more books to the left and right of the photo frame.

The ManCave is downstairs...

I actually got a reply asking for pictures. If they say no I have a back up plan to take it to my workplace in Lincoln. However, I was under the impression that, after the opening of the new conservatory, they would be in need of other tropicals to space around the park during the warmer months. (They over winter in the maintenance green-house)

Good.

The facts you mention help a lot.

Hmm. Maybe get active in helping them secure plants? It will be like your own steroidal palm garden, that someone else has to maintain. :winkie:

I mention the negatives above, because sometimes university gardens especially are overwhelmed with donations. When I wanted to donate a Brahea armata to the garden at UC Riverside, they told me they already had about 20 they were trying to find homes for, and they got other offers constantly.

I was very grateful for their candor.

Best of luck and let us all know what happens, hopefully we can all share a gloat! :)

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'll certainly keep all of you posted. I can't imagine there are too many donated palms in Nebraska, but then again the R.rivularis if a pretty common houseplant...

I'll certainly keep all of you posted. I can't imagine there are too many donated palms in Nebraska, but then again the R.rivularis if a pretty common houseplant...

You may be right.

But, you may also be very surprised.

I'm really curious to see how it works out. I'd like to do more palms in public or quasi-public places here.

Love the name.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

What size (pot and height) the rivularis when you purchased it and how large is it now?

Thanks, Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

What size (pot and height) the rivularis when you purchased it and how large is it now?

Thanks, Lee

Came in a 10" pot and was maybe 4 feet all when I got it. That pot there is a 30 gallon (?) and floor to top of spear it's pushing 8 feet. Starting to trunk, too!

Lauritzen Gardens took my Ravenea. Said they would put it in the non-public greenhouse over the winter and then repot it into one of the huge multi-species planters they place round the open air parts of the park during the warmer 6 months of the year.

Glad to know it's not just going to get mulched or something.