IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mutant crested leaf cycads

Mike Evans

I have been growing a few mutant crested leaf cycads from seed. I know they are kind of rare, but how rare? The first pics are Zamia furfuracea.

post-112-0-29202100-1413118490_thumb.jpg post-112-0-81090400-1413118495_thumb.jpg post-112-0-18710200-1413118501_thumb.jpg

This is a Zamia loddigesii.

post-112-0-47029300-1413118624_thumb.jpg post-112-0-67938400-1413118629_thumb.jpg

This is a Ceratozamia pressa aleman. It has two heads from one caldax.

post-112-0-17925200-1413118766_thumb.jpg post-112-0-60772100-1413118771_thumb.jpg

Anyone else growing mutants? Please post. Any idea on what these are worth?

Back when I started going to CFPS meetings (no typo), it seemed like every serious cycad collector's house we would go to had a Zamia furfuracea with faciated leaflets sitting around somewhere. I was told that 1 in 10,000 seedlings would come out this way. I used to go to big wholesale nurseries that grew furfuraceas and pick out any mutants I could find and they would cost the same as the regular one. Now, I have almost 50 of these, including males and females.(which I have yet to breed successfully)

Price all depends on what someone is willing pay. It goes with these and it goes with variegated cycads as well. I don't know if they sell them but a place down in Sarasota has variegated furf seedlings and they want $500 for them. I know I will do without them for that price. I sell one or two of these mutant furfs each year and one hour size goes for around $200 and $250 when it gets a little bigger. It looks like yours is about 4".

• 3 months later...

Hi Cycadjungle

I looking for some cycad Vareigated and Mutant seedling, can you share me 2? Or can you show me where I can get it. Thank you.

I have about 40 good sized furfuraceas with faciated leaflets, but no seedlings. Some of these are 5 feet across. It appears as if you live in California and people from Florida have to be specially California verified to send any plants to CA, which I am not. Collectors all over the place have one here and one there, so they are out there, but I don't keep up with other people's inventory any more like I used to.

I know of a giant crested C. revoluta growing in someones front yard. The crest is probably 4 foot across. I often wonder what that is worth.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!