IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Victoria Amazonica 2014

Gbarce

I have always been in awe at the sight of this plant. I have grown these a couple of times before.

Really cool to be growing these again.

a couple of leaves just starting to open

post-1017-0-10746800-1413079051_thumb.jp

post-1017-0-74447000-1413079057_thumb.jp

this one is well on it's way

post-1017-0-26704400-1413079073_thumb.jp

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene, it would be "very cool" to be able to grow V amazonica, thanks for sharing.

Pete :)

Pedro - why don't you?

This is awesome!!! Could you give us some background? Did you start them from seed? What is the root mass like? A huge tangle of tubers as with Nelumbo, or?

I love growing Nelumbo from seed and they are super easy - I tried THESE from seed, but was unsuccessful. Any pointers?

These are a bit more challenging than Nelumbo. The only option to propagate Victorias is through seeds since they don't produce offsets. They have no rhizomes and the root mass is very delicate and fibrous.

It looks like a tough plant but upon closer inspection they are actually pretty fragile-- the "substance" of the entire plant is very comparable to an Iceberg Lettuce I would say ( a Romaine Lettuce has more weight and substance).

The seeds of Victoria seem to have an inherent delaying mechanism-- some will germinate immediately but most will germinate after a year or even more. This might have been an adaption to their natural habitat which dries up periodically. I had to wait over a year before these seeds germinated.

I also don't think these plants are very long lived. The longest I kept one alive was 2.5 to 3 years. I think most hobbyists start from seeds every year -- but that might be because they don't survive winter temperatures.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Gene, mine seem to propagate by seed on their own. I am always finding germinated seedlings floating around the pond.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Yeah, even if you are successful only once at producing a fertile pod, the seeds will germinate sporadically for years which is good because that's the only way to "maintain" this plant in your pond after the parent plant inevitably dies off.

My mistake was I added Koi to my pond and they ate up all the newly sprouting seedling ( and all vegetation in the pond for that matter) . When my parent plants died off, there were no new seedlings to replace them.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I, too, have read that they must remain "wet" to maintain viability - which in retrospect doesn't make sense since they undergo drought - so how does that work? Hmmmmm

I had no idea the plant itself was pretty fragile, and short-lived. Had no idea they took that long to germinate from seed - I probably gave up way too early - I was spoiled by Nelumbo seeds, which often germinate in a few days!

Yes, Koi will decimate vegetation very quickly! I actually have a large pink Osphronemus gourami (probably a delicacy for you) - who will eat anything, literally - including all plant matter. About once a year, I will give her a whole head of lettuce for fun, which lasts a day.

I think I have seen these lilies at the national water lily gardens in DC. (Or something darn near identical to it.)

From what I read about their habitat "drying up" I assume that the soil would still be wet or at the very least moist.

The seeds seem to germinate in batches. Some do germinate immediately, some after a few months , some a few years etc...

I suspect that the seeds sold on line are the "rejects" -- the ones that don't germinate immediately. That's why more often than not, the waiting time for them to germinate is really long. Once you produce your own seeds, you can observe the pattern of seed germination -- some are pretty quick.

Yeah I think that fish is called a Fairy Gourami over here -- I do have one with my koi. As far as I know it's a delicacy in Thailand but over here it's a pretty pricey aquarium fish so i don't think anyone would dine on it because it would be too expensive.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

That's too cool that we have the same fish!!! How big is yours?

Mine is I think about 16 inches - and a little shy of 2 years old. Quite a "doggy" pet. Her name is Starbuck :)

They look similar, specially at this stage in their growth but Euryale ferox has thorns on the top of their leaves.

Also, Euryale flowers are blue. This one already has a flower bud forming and I can see that the petals will be white.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I figured I'd share Starbuck here! Here she is in a playful mood. She is so personable. (She is currently 16 inches - you can't really tell without a size reference in the photo.) A ping pong ball could fit into her mouth, for instance.

post-5700-0-91157900-1413666265_thumb.jp

Edited by santoury

If kept in an aquarium, they are just like a puppy - Do you try to feed yours by the edge / by hand? Maybe you can bring yours around!

How big / old is yours?

Gene,

These are truly impressive and beautiful plants. Must be pretty special to be able to grow them! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Which species is the flat leaves and which have that rim on them?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Which species is the flat leaves and which have that rim on them?

V.amazonica has the largest diameter leaves but a small rim.V.cruziana has a deep rim with more red color and then there is a hybrid between these called Longwood which combines both.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c