IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Next generation dypsis? I'm excited!!

Kennybenjamin

I'm sure many of you have seen photos I have posted of this palm before, it's one of my favourite specimens in my garden! It cops full on sun which can be hot and dry here, it gets minimal water, it grows like a rocket and it always looks perfect!

This was planted 4.5 years ago and was about 3 ft tall when I planted it. I got lucky when I bought it as I thought it was a "standard" ambositrae.... Is there such a thing? Anyway in the pics below you can also see another ambositrae 1m or so away from the big guy and it is an absolute slug!!

I have seen pics of other palms the same or similar to mine here on pt but I have never seen another the same in oz ( I don't think? ).

post-6412-0-94333200-1412980289_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-44521700-1412980396_thumb.jp

Of coarse I had absolutely no idea but I have been saying to my wife recently that I hoped it would flower soon and I had been noticing some bulging in the lower crownshaft and was hoping a nice surprise would appear under the old leaf sheath when it fell.

post-6412-0-91672500-1412980707_thumb.jp

Well old sheath came away a day or 2 ago and showed this... Not what I was hoping for but it was the first sign of any flower production.

post-6412-0-92282600-1412980840_thumb.jp

Here it is again from a bit further away......

post-6412-0-41106200-1412980985_thumb.jp

Then..... I looked up the stem and bit more and found this....

post-6412-0-74638300-1412981091_thumb.jp

So I looked at the other twin stem ( I assume this palm split when it very young ) and found this...

post-6412-0-02849700-1412981157_thumb.jp

Super exciting!!!! I know the first flowers could be duds but I have gotta say these pods already look very strong?? And even a dud flower has got to be better than nothing? It could have been another 15 years before any flower action??

If you look closely you will see the pods on both stems here..

post-6412-0-07632300-1412981213_thumb.jp

Now that there is some action on my double stemmed dypsis I am hoping my similar but slightly different single stemmed one can't be far off either?

You can see both in the pic below..... Very similar palms in terms of growth, speed etc etc but the colours and size are slightly different, I call them cousins.

The future could be bright for breeding on these 2 babies??

post-6412-0-00870300-1412981395_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Nice find Ben! and that is a stunning looking palm! Hope it fruits for you first up. Some of my Dypsis fruited on their first inflorescence so don't be surprised...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

i believe i'm growing the same plant that i got seeds from Quaman. he and a few others said that they got them as D.ambositrae but it was definitely not the true form and was suckering, a rocket, and takes full sun from 1gal size

Nice find Ben! and that is a stunning looking palm! Hope it fruits for you first up. Some of my Dypsis fruited on their first inflorescence so don't be surprised...

Daryl

How's your sp. 215 going Daryl, we could make a super hybrid out of these 2 palms I reckon!!

Daryl

How's your sp. 215 going Daryl, we could make a super hybrid out of these 2 palms I reckon!!

Ben, I think the speed of growth and quick to flower is a "good sign" your Dypsis is already a hybrid.

Pete :)

I knew that was a possibility Pete but I am hoping that isn't the case otherwise my chances of getting viable fruit will be substantially diminished??

Daryl

Haha yeah, that would be nice...My 215 is growing like crazy, but still has not set any viable seed...one day I hope! I have a D.lanceolata next to it that fruits, so maybe I can get a hybrid of the two ...how would that look?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I knew that was a possibility Pete but I am hoping that isn't the case otherwise my chances of getting viable fruit will be substantially diminished??

can only sit and wait patiently eh :)

Maybe it's just the pics, or the fact that I'm looking at them on my phone, but the flower spikes look brown and dead to me mate.

What colour should I expect them to be? upon close inspection I would call them a dark purple and they are pushing out at a good speed!

Good to hear mate.

Do you remember the carlsmithii out the front of my place? Still a long way off trunking, yet it had started pushing its first flower spike since you were last up.

Was green and healthy and looking great, but in the last week it has turned brown and evidently aborted it would seem.

From what I could see from the pics, your spikes looked brown also, but if they are purple that sounds far more promising.

And if you do end up with an abundance of seed, I wouldn't object to a few

Congrats! Hard to say 100% as your growing conditions are different than ours here, but it looks like the same palm we had going around as Ambositrae as well. Well, one of them anyway :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

looking great Ben that double Dypis was a standout out palm in your garden !

wishing you plenty of seeds

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I asked Mr Beattie to take a look at my palm and he had a fair bit to say about it...

" I have one here...suckering and 2m tall after 6yrs in ground. In fact one of my favourites! I got it from Alfred Razafindratsira as Dypsis heteromorpha...one of many small collections allegedly from this species I have from him. With the 'not quite yet' certainty that Daryl's D.h in Brisbane and Mike Dahme's D.h in Puerto Rico (latter now fruiting) looking more and more likely as the real deal then questions are asked about other med/largish palm species growing in the main D. ambositrae zone and also NW of Antananarivo. Both areas unexplored by palm botanists. I, (we: Guy R, Pierrot R, Pete B, Jeff S et al.) ..have seen roadside palms for sale in the ambos zone that are clearly not that species. 3 days walk away the source we were told. Have also seen Alfred's photos of palms the size of ambos but clearly not that species from NW Tana...3 hrs drive and 2 days hike only!!

The palm I have which is probably same as Ben's..allegedly came from NW Tana and have no reason at all to think it is a hybrid. If it is then it is the first natural hybrid from that country. Anyone who has ever done the hard yards in Mad will know that this is quite simply a ridiculous proposition. There are no millionaire palm breeders in Mad. Just Nong Nooch. However it is better to err on the side of caution...let everything grow for a few more yrs! But there is more ...I have 2 other palms from the high country and many in N.Q, Brisbane, Sydney etc will have same .....small, suckering, initially very fine leafed and susceptible to rust...then fixed in ground and looking like the mini end of the D. onilahensis spectrum.

Other for later!"

I am keen for more info on this palm...Have you anything you can add Mr Searle?

• Upvote 2

Well done. Possibly a first in cultivation? I keep looking at mine for signs but so far only a false start.

if it's the same plant as we have here in the states that was originally labeled as "D. ambositrae" then we have some that set seed already, i have a few that sprouted from one of the trees

Well done. Possibly a first in cultivation? I keep looking at mine for signs but so far only a false start.

if it's the same plant as we have here in the states that was originally labeled as "D. ambositrae" then we have some that set seed already, i have a few that sprouted from one of the trees

Where? Are you sure you are not confusing the fakey Ambo that is now Dypsis plumosa?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Where? Are you sure you are not confusing the fakey Ambo that is now Dypsis plumosa?

i just went trying to find some post from quaman since i know he's posted about his "ambositrae" a few times. He sent me a pack of probably 20 seeds and i only had 4 sprout with 3 still alive right now. the 3 i have right now are doing real well though

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37213-suckering-dypsis-of-some-sort/?hl=%2Bfast+%2Bambositrae

looks like kennybenjamin posted his in there too, and insane speed compared to his photos in that thread.

i just went trying to find some post from quaman since i know he's posted about his "ambositrae" a few times. He sent me a pack of probably 20 seeds and i only had 4 sprout with 3 still alive right now. the 3 i have right now are doing real well though

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37213-suckering-dypsis-of-some-sort/?hl=%2Bfast+%2Bambositrae

looks like kennybenjamin posted his in there too, and insane speed compared to his photos in that thread.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that palm is not an Ambositrae. It is a D. onilahensis/baronii type (not sure which one as I am am not sure anyone checked the inside of the seed). A very nice form of it so you are lucky to get seed. I believe it came in falsely labeled Ambo from Phil. Hence the confusion.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that palm is not an Ambositrae. It is a D. onilahensis/baronii type (not sure which one as I am am not sure anyone checked the inside of the seed). A very nice form of it so you are lucky to get seed. I believe it came in falsely labeled Ambo from Phil. Hence the confusion.

yea, who knows what it really is with those baronii types, hopefully it grows just as quick. i got a 15gal ambositrae from Jerry that's slowly going along hopefully it's the "true" form

apart from the "speed" of growth and "quick" to flower it "also" has the "twisted" leaf of a Dypsis hybrid, "plus" they would flower in FNQ way before Sth Qld, my 2 cents :) Pete

You may be correct Pete but in regards to the twisted leaf I also have a nice ampasindavae in a 400mm pot that also has a twisted leaf and i have seen many "pure" dypsis that show this trait. This might sound stupid but I have noticed that many of my dypsis produce twisted leaves during the cooler months then when it warms up the new leaves are perfect again???? I'm looking very closely at the palm in question right now and can clearly see the winter ( twisted ) leaves and the spring ( nicely recurved ) leaves.

Just looked at your link Kenny and I am now sure mine is different from those in that thread, I think you will find there are a few different palms posted in that thread? Confusing stuff with these palms!!

Again I welcome input from anyone.... Particularly Mr Searle, Len, Dean, Mr Levine or any other Dypsis people on their thoughts on this palm!! I am sure there is another pt person from the USA that regularly posts their single stem palm as ambositrae ( sorry i can't remember who right now ) and I am sure their palm is the same as mine?Thanks for your thoughts Pete, I am not discounting your theory.

Again I welcome input from anyone.... Particularly Mr Searle, Len, Dean, Mr Levine or any other Dypsis people on their thoughts on this palm!! I am sure there is another pt person from the USA that regularly posts their single stem palm as ambositrae ( sorry i can't remember who right now ) and I am sure their palm is the same as mine?Thanks for your thoughts Pete, I am not discounting your theory.
No worries Ben, above is a few responses from Len , be interesting to hear from others but I feel same as Len + Hybrid, it screams Baronii/Baronii Hybrid

Cheers Pete.... I might be confused ( easily done in threads on this type of palm ) but I thought Len was commenting on the palms in Kenny's link and not mine??? Can you confirm which palm your were talking about please Len??

I believe mine is more onilahensis than baronii? But yes I certainly see some baronii in it!

Cheers Pete.... I might be confused ( easily done in threads on this type of palm ) but I thought Len was commenting on the palms in Kenny's link and not mine??? Can you confirm which palm your were talking about please Len??

I believe mine is more onilahensis than baronii? But yes I certainly see some baronii in it!

Yeah sorry, I was referring to Kenny's palm, not yours. Yours is of course something else. Here are the palms I have like Ambo. The large one is really starting to look like the photo in POM of Ambositrae. So who knows. The one in the middle was sold as "Kindreo" (not the Baronii Kindreo that went around SoCal) and it is a little different but might just be seed off a different Ambo in wild. It grows a little slower and has fuzz on the newest spears. The skinny one on the right, looks like your palm as a single huh?

post-649-0-21075100-1413400346_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-81539300-1413400350_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-57825500-1413400353_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Rich, no reins outside what you see in most Dypsis. They are what I would call loosly tristichous.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

What do you guys mean by reins? Are you talking about the very long leaflets closest to the trunk on every leaf ( are they called basal leaflets? ). My palm certainly has these!! My best guess is that they are about 4 ft long ( over a metre )

Yes, that's right. I have heard it said that this can be diagnostic of onilahensis vs baronii. Bet you have brown ramenta too but only sparse.