IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burretokentia veillardii With brown tomentosed trunk

LJG

I picked up this Burretokentia veillardii from Rancho Soledad a few years back as they brought in a few that looked a little different others I have grown. It seems nowadays a lot of the younger Burretokentia veillardii in gardens are like this type verses the green trunked one. Now that mine is trunking you can see that it keeps the brown tomentum on the trunk and that it is really fury. I thought it might out grow this but it seems to be a stable characteristic of this plant as you can see in the photos. The last photo shows the more typical Burretokentia veillardii trunk.

post-649-0-24936300-1412535090_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-63784200-1412535104_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-29292500-1412535121_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-20123500-1412535147_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That's a cool look; I've never one like that before. Growing good too; nice wide growth rings compared to your other.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

That thing's hairier than me!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Len, this is a very nice palm that we here in south Florida rarely see. Glad to hear they do so well and I plan on planting a nice size one out in the near future. Thanks.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len, my B.vielliardii had the same type of tomentose trunk...unfortunately it succumbed to drought a few years ago.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Bret, this plant is in more shade than the other - which is in full sun. So it does have wider growth rings.

Rory, my other one is flowering right now as I have two of these type of Veillardii's. If I get seed I will send you some if you want. I think this might be one of the new species that PONC and that I have read elsewhere about possibly coming out. The flower is half the size of my more commonly scene Veillardii as well. Posted below if the photo of the other one in flower.

Paul, I got this just about to trunk so it was a good sized plant to start. I have found that they are tough to start and slow to get going but once locked in, they are one of the fastest NewCals. In fact mine grow twice as fast as my Hapala's. Mardy Darian has a side by side Veillardii and Hapala put in at the same seedling size. His Veillardii is now twice as tall to 15 feet of clear trunk.

Jeff, I thought you had one planted? Was it a Hapala?

Daryl, that sucks. These are really thirsty palms and burn easy in sun so I could imagine this one not doing well in drought. Next year SoCal will be under mandatory restrictions and I hope I can keep these guys watered enough.

post-649-0-15796900-1412566914_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, this was my furry vieillardii... http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34524-is-it-game-over-for-this-burretiokentia/?hl=%2Bvielliardii+%2Bdrought

Needless to say, it didn't make it...died a slow death over the following 6 months...but same trunk as yours, yes?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

For sure Daryl. Looking at yours and seeing it stays brown like that even large really makes me glad I got a few these. I love brown or black colored trunks on palms. Sorry about yours. If mine seeds I will be happy to send some.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The expert Aussie Rat pack fellas came through and corrected me on mine and said it was a B. hapala. It's good to see that some of them are finally learning their palms. Lol.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the offer Len, if you get some seed to set I'd love to try some. I've heard mixed things about the standard vieillardii and dumasii around here, but hapala and koghiensis have done great for me in the ground. I'm going to put a grandiflora in the ground here and see how it does pretty soon too. If it does turn out to be a new species it would be interesting to see if it does better in the ground then vieillardii has done for some people here.

Rory,

I've had the same results with B. hapala and H. koghiensis in the ground too. This next spring I will be planting a large B. vielilardii and maybe something else. Crossed fingers..... :)

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have a B. viellardiI that's been in the ground about 6 years from a 3 gallon. I'll check tomorrow, it should have a couple rings of trunk by now. It's slower than it's B. hapala neighbor, but powering along quite well.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Aloha Len, hey your post made me take a good look at mine. It also has the tomentum on the trunk. The old leaf sheaths were hiding the trunk, just touched them and they fell off.

It's about 4 1/2 years old from a 2 gal.

post-1300-0-18980000-1412706908_thumb.jp post-1300-0-55617300-1412706911_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow that's nicely grown Tim.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

:) Len, till this day , I thought 2 "very slow" Bkentia's down in the dark, dry, deep red soil garden, where hapala's, till I took a "closer look".

Thanks for this thread Len, to make me 'have a look", they have been there for a long time but because of above and fierce root competition they are struggln but alive, glad I have a couple in pots that I "will " plant in a great location and "look after".

Pete :)

post-5709-0-18988600-1412728974_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-71120900-1412729049_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-10590200-1412729113_thumb.jp

Pete, it looks like that one is flowering age. So you should be able to confirm soon enough.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Pete, it looks like that one is flowering age. So you should be able to confirm soon enough.

Len, Hapala's trunk is "clean as a whistle' so it really has to be V eh.

post-5709-0-02181200-1412729707_thumb.jp

My Hapala is green too, but I have seen Hapala with some momentum as well. These *can* be so hard to tell the difference out of flower.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

My Hapala is green too, but I have seen Hapala with some momentum as well. These *can* be so hard to tell the difference out of flower.

They where bought as V years ago, but like you say its so hard to tell the diff, so Ive just gone along with H , "till this thread" :)

Well, hey, you now have the green kind too. The green one gets that fat crownshaft. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Well, hey, you now have the green kind too. The green one gets that fat crownshaft. :)

Still talkn Veillardii Len ? :) or my skinny Hapala post 21. ?

No the seed I sent that you germinated. That is from a fat crownshafted one. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

No the seed I sent that you germinated. That is from a fat crownshafted one. :)

Oh cool, thanks Len, pls excuse the cabadae pic on "your thread" but hope this makes Ron post some pics.

Ron, ( neoflora) to stop Palmtalk from being boring post some pics matey, the last pic I saw from you was a Cabadae like ours but yours was better looking, "please post pics " to keep us entertained, thanks Ron, :)

Pete

post-5709-0-14791800-1412835905_thumb.jp

Looks good Len - i remember seeing that one

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 1 year later...

Need updated photos. Did it flower yet?

Yes moose it did. I am still in Madagascar but will get photos when back in a few days.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin