IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you protect your palms in the winter?

Hardypalms

Hi

It's getting that time of the year and I have to get a strategy in place to protect my palms. I know about putting a bucket or garbage can upside down over small palms. I know about C-9 lights wrapped around trunks and fronds.

Now what about tarps or blankets to cover or wrap the palms, which kind to use? I read a post about someone using "Frost blankets", they look nice but pricey at $30 each, I need a bunch. Plastic I believe is a no no as the palms can't touch the plastic.

So what to use that is not too expensive.

Thanks

Patrick

I'm starting to think about my strategy as well. I have a bunch of incandescent C7 strings which I am planning on using for my more sensitive Archontophoenix. A cunninghamiana are pretty safe here but I have some A maxima, purpurea, etc. I was thinking about a burlap wrap, lights, and then another burlap wrap. I am a little worried about that being a fire hazard however. Any advice?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Careful about covering lights with a burlap wrap. There is both the burning hazard on the tree as well as the fire hazard. Heat can build up quickly when lights are covered. Jim in Los Altos can tell you of an Archontophoenix trunk that was badly burned to death with lights and plastic wrap.

If the palm is small, the plastic garbage can or styrofoam cones are good. Once large, C-9 lights wrapped are good, place most of them near the heart and growing spear.

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I am a member of other palm boards; here is a link to a response that a fellow from your area (Atlanta) posted a bit ago. I hope that it is okay to post a link here: http://exoten.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/hardy.cgi?function=2&index=B0F72806E48D24B8

Alex knows his stuff, and he grows some beautiful in and out of zone palms and tropical plants.

I just use the fancy industrial frost blankets on my seedlings (if anything at all). They look to be nothing more than thin, compressed synthetic fiber. I imagine a regular blanket would suffice for much less money. There are several AG companies in South GA that I bought it from. It is hit and miss in quality..

Edited by bbrantley

Thanks for the answers. I m going to buy probably a roll of frost blanket and cut as needed, I have 4 areas to protect. I have my C9 ready to go too.

Patrick

If you have electricity outside, try covering your palm with a frost blanket, but under the blanket put a concrete block and put a utility light with a 40W bulb in one of the holes. It should provide enough warmth (fire free) to protect a palm against the cold. If the palm is particularly sensitive or the night very cold, up the wattage on the bulb and put some sealed buckets of water under the blanket. The water will moderate the temperature from outside the blanket as well as prevent any 'hot spots' under the covering. I've also used the tomato water tents for small palms. Fill the tent with water and then cover the whole thing with a blanket. Make sure that the blanket stays dry.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Jlevert

That's very interesting, I have never heard of such techniques before. I will look into it.

Thanks

Patrick

Which palms are you growing and how large are they? Remember than palms don't need any light during times of extreme cold. The most important component of survival is keeping the bud warm and dry.

• Upvote 1

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants