IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just got popped by a Saddlebags Caterpillar!

Alicehunter2000

Wow....never even heard of them until today....they were chowing down on a Washingtonia leaf and a new dwarf banana plant.....they hurt bad!

Guess I'll be on a mission this weekend to inspect everything.....anybody know what pesticides work best for these little @$#&$@

post-97-0-33612500-1412299098_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Usually there are not so many that you can't dispatch them all with a few snips of your felcos. Maybe just cut off the affected fronds. If you need to go the spray route, use Dipel or Thuricide. Both have Bacillus thuringensis as the killing agent. It basically gives them an upset stomach and they stop eating and starve to death.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I usually get "hit" 3-4 times a year from these! And every time hurts as bad as the rest. :evil:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You can use Spinosad as well. It is active longer than BT.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Concur with all of the above.

Put on your evil shoes and do the Caterpillar Genocide Tango . . . :evil:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

DIPEL = Tastes Great!

SPINOSAD = Less Filling!

Spinosad goes great with pizza.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Acharia stimulea - (Limacodidae) Saddleback Caterpillar Moth

Stings a little, but not for long. I usually get hit on the forearms when I'm carrying in potted plants. They don't eat much, so I leave them alone.

Caterpillar:

A.stimulea.20100828-01.jpg

Adult:

A.stimulea.20140707-01.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

With those little green vests they look like service caterpillars for real tiny folks.

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lol

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 2 months later...