IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to know my zone for sure?

Hardypalms

Hi

Is there a way to know for sure if I am in 7a or 7b?

I see some people dreaming about what zone they are in, then they are surprised when palms/tropicals that should do fine die.

I have killed 2 small windmills in my backyard years ago, they had about a foot of trunk each, I guess that's still considered very small and I know windmills become really hardy when older.

Beside that I have 3 large needles, a sabal minor and 2 windmills (4 feet high no trunks yet/grown from seeds) that have been in the ground for 3 winters and have been doing fine without any protection.

I would like to keep going and add a filibusta to the list this spring and why not a Sabal palmetto eventually.

Last week I had 12 trees cut from my back yard to give us more sun, I hope this will make my backyard warmer year round.

Anyway if you want to play around with the numbers I am in Canton-GA-30115

So what is my zone?

Patrick

Hey Patrick. The USDA interactive map listed you as a 7b zone. Did you give the two windmills time to recover? Young windmills experience spear pull sometimes in rougher winters, but a lot of times they push a new one up. A Sabal Brazoria or Birmingham would be an easy palm for you.

Hey Hardypalms, that's a million dollar question. Keep in mind regardless of your USDA zone, micro-climates can be found above or below your rated zone. By cutting some trees and allowing more light/sun can warm the ground a little more, however the canopy of trees can protect from frost and polar air which falls to the ground.

Best to have South facing locations on higher ground, as cold air tends to settle in the nooks and valleys of your property. Micro climates are key for the species you choose. I'm in Z6a Canada, with a Sabal Palmetto with protection only 4 mos of the year, planted in a location which is mostly sun, even in the Spring and Fall.

This site is the most accurate in my books. If there are better sites, I'd love to know. See the link:

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-georgia-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php?ZS=30115

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

Hey Pineapple Dan, Guess you're in the same zone as me, I'm just around the corner in Oakville LOL!! Good to see I'm not the only one around these parts that grows Palms, My friends think I'm Bonkers.

Hey Mike! LOL, this is why we do this! Same, my neighbors and my wife definitely think that I lost it, however, it's paid off. I only know of one guy in Burlington that has a rather large trachy on Appleby south along with another friend of mine around the corner. Looks like he got bit by the bug also.

Please send me some pics of your garden in Oakville.

Cheers,

D

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

Scott: The 2 dead windmills were left in the ground way into the spring. I used to have rodents at the time in my backyard that were digging holes all over the yard, I wonder if they ate the roots. Thanks god they are gone now (The rodents). Thanks also for recommending the 2 Sabal species, I will look into it.

905palms: A Sabal in zone 6, that gives me hope. Good job. Thanks for the link.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had larger windmills look terrible and one die from moles/gophers digging around them as well. I bet it was that more than the cold that killed them.

Let last years Polar Vortex lows determine your zone. I'm still barely clinging to 9a after last years unusual weather. A very cold 9a. 20 F minimum here last year.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Different sources say different things, so I get the confusion...some maps say I'm zone 7A, some say 6B, Arbor Day website says 6B/7A, really just depends. In my area, it really comes down to microclimates. My house is probably solid 6B, while just miles away it is 7A, and downtown Wichita is probably solid 7A due to urban heat effect. Best way to know for sure is to record high and low temperatures at your location over a period of time. Good luck! :)

Edited by jfrye01@live.com

El_Dorado.gif

I agree with Alice on this one. The once in a decade vortex like this past one is a good barometer on your cold hardiness zone.

Look up your zone. Now, look up the plants that are marginal a half zone warmer. Walk around your neighborhood. If you see the plants that grow a half zone warmer, congrats. If you don't see them, they have your zone right.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages