IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

" Exotic Life " Robbin visit's Tasmania

Tassie_Troy1971

Last weekend we had the pleasure of hosting one of palmtalks cold hardy growers from Holland Robbin Den Herder

I have always admired Robbins growing success and nice garden in Holland .

Robbin enjoyed having a look around my yard at various palms that i have planted out in the last 7 yrs

Posing with my Parajubaea torallyi

IMG_6448.jpg

I gave Robbin the job of planting my parajubaea sunkha x Syagrus romanzoffiana AKA Tim Hopper palm seedling scandal palm :mrlooney:

IMG_6416.jpg

IMG_6415.jpg

IMG_6417.jpg

Planted !

Robbin with Hedyscepe

IMG_6368.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

After this we drove for one hr and arrived in the Mt Field wilderness

IMG_6413.jpg

Robbin was excited to see Dicksonia antarctica tree fern in habitat

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

The Waterfalls throughout the national park are amazing

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6379.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Robbin said to me do you have big ones ?? I said excuse me mate :floor: ! Big Trees - Ah Yes i think we can find a few that are over 300 ft tall

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

Robbin liked the Richea pandanifolia a giant cordyline plant

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

We explored an alpine area

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

Then it was back to civilization for a BBQ and Beers !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

The very next morning we headed down to Sol Coopers garden "Nomolos " on palmtalk SoL gave us the grand tour of his interesting palm and plant collection .

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

Parajubaea cocoides

IMG_6429.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Sol's Hedyscepe

IMG_6428.jpg

Torallyi

IMG_6425.jpg

Jubaea

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Moving on we stopped at my old palm garden in Kingston for a photo

IMG_6435.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Ok then we went to Hobart Botanical gardens

Blue Jubaea

IMG_6443.jpg

Exotic life amongst the palms

IMG_6441.jpg

Rhopalostylis from Pogobobs seeds

IMG_6444.jpg

Howea

IMG_6439.jpg

Robbin loved the Cyathea medullaris treefern

IMG_6442.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Then we went to my friends place in Sandy Bay that has started growing palms Micheal Foster.

IMG_6436.jpg

Talk about an action packed two day of sight seeing and PRA ! :asleep:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Nice visit Robbin...and congrats Troy for the great collection. The Jubaea in the Bot Gardens looks amazing too.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Whoo-ee!

Loved the pictures!

Saving my pennies for a trip to Tassie . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Always a great day to be had when Troy takes you around Hobart.

My last trip to Tassie inspired me to plant my first tree fern, Cyathea Medularris.

Micheal Fosters place is slowly becoming a permanent feature on the Hobart PRA scene.

Thanks Dave and you might find this hard to understand but Robbin didn't want to visit MONA ( Museum of old and new art )

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Good view from a great period in Tasmania. Once more again, thanks for the short but intensive tasmania tour!

I am definitely want to come back once to explore a bit more of Tasmania. Next time I will give the MONA museum a visit too, so somewhere I have a good excuse to return right? :)

Give me a sign when you ever be in The Netherlands, happy to take you around as well.

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

In the first picture (Parajubaea), those little blue grasses look like something that's popular in the western US, a little bunchgrass, Festuca idahoensis.

The national park looks amazing. The waterfalls are very different to the ones in coastal Oregon, which are in volcanic terrain, with sturdier lava flows making for the falls. You can walk under some of them and spot the casts left by trees roasted by the lava. Might be something a bit similar in the Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee, lots of sandstone, but entirely different-looking forests.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

This is my first post.

I am really just a disciple of Troy who introduced me to palms a year ago. Thanks to generous help from him , and also from Jonathan , our bland front and back yards here in Hobart are turning into a palmy paradise. You all know how it goes - initially my wife had doubts about my mental health but lately I have seen subtle signs that she really approves of our new environment.

I am impressed with the global network which you have established . It is my good fortune to live in the same area as Troy , a "palm icon" , as PeterG described him ,and that he is very generous with his time and his advice.

Soon I will make a thread so that our progress can be followed . Troy has high hopes for us !

post-8112-0-62891500-1412299223_thumb.jp

post-8112-0-98015400-1412299384_thumb.jp

WOW what a treat to see all those Tasmanian Gardens. Garden’s looking good Troy and mfoster. :greenthumb: The forest looks really cool and moist and green, nice.

Welcome to PalmTalk Micheal! Glad to see you have made your first post.

Have you planted that Hedyscepe yet?

Yes Peter its in and basking in the warmth of spring in Hobart .Actually temperatures are mainly still coolish with occasional bursts into the twenties and last week 28 C. but I guess that probably quite OK for the little hedyscepe.

Ah good to see you posting Micheal ~ !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Great to see Palm people mixing. Well done Troy and Robbin, nice to see you on board Michael.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice photos Troy, those tree ferns and the water fall look fantastic!! I look forward to getting the royal Tassie Troy tour one day!

I'm sure Robbin felt a bit more at home there than in QLD?

Welcome to PT Micheal, great avatar too!!

Some great pictures, for sure. In addition to the palms, I love the Richea pandanifolia ("a giant cordyline plant"). I'll look that up, but doubt that I could find it in Japan. That would be a great accent to any garden! Thanks for the tour.

Cheers,
JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Great pictures! It's always a pleasure to see those cooler climate palms. The tree ferns and waterfalls are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Thanks for sharing. I got to see palms, plants and scenes different from what we have here. Troy, how about a stop in Hawaii on your next trip heading east to N. America? Glad to show you some Big Island gardens.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thanks for sharing. I got to see palms, plants and scenes different from what we have here. Troy, how about a stop in Hawaii on your next trip heading east to N. America? Glad to show you some Big Island gardens.

Sounds great AL !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Nothing better than seeing PalmTalkers on international PRAs together! Wonderful photo coverage, thanks for sharing!

And welcome to MFoster, glad to see you join in the discussions.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Nice photos Troy, those tree ferns and the water fall look fantastic!! I look forward to getting the royal Tassie Troy tour one day!

I'm sure Robbin felt a bit more at home there than in QLD?

Welcome to PT Micheal, great avatar too!!

Yep. Tasmania feels a lot more like home but then with way more mountains. I think our climates are quite similar to eachother with a big difference that Troy stay much warmer in winter why he can grow a Kentia outside for example. Looks like that mine summers, and then specially the nights are a bit warmer then in Tassie.

Tassie is a really nice place to visit, but if I had to choose, I prefer your Brisbane climate. :)

Southwest

how much sun does your Hedyscepe get? mine's growing pretty well in an area that's mostly shade year round but sometimes i wonder if it would prefer more sun and yours looks like it's planted right out with no canopy

Great PRA story. This is after all what it is all about.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kenny My Hedyscepe is in all day sun - They will burn a bit for the first 2 yrs then adjust !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Kenny My Hedyscepe is in all day sun - They will burn a bit for the first 2 yrs then adjust !

should have given mine more sun, makes me consider digging it out and putting it in another spot but it's so happy that i'm going to leave it as is. i do need to pull it over a bit more away from my Archontophoenix alex since it's pretty close but i planted it angled so it's at least easy to stake

• 1 month later...
Finally had some time to sort out some of my pictures as the last few weeks have been strange and busy. Needed almost 2 weeks to acclimatize again and had 2 funerals in the last 10 days. Looking at the pictures I took made me smiling again, so I though would be nice to share some with you from my Tasmania visit.
You can reach Tasmania by boat from Melbourne but because I went back to Sydney I took a plane from there.
2014-09-25091344_zpsf8be7879.jpg
My hostel was located in the innercity of Hobart and did some walking in the first days to explore this city.
2014-09-25061209_zps59beec21.jpg
2014-09-26024156_zpsf7c76e92.jpg
Old Hobart Gas Company
2014-09-26034614_zps144de711.jpg
Tassie Bridge
2014-09-26041446_zpsc457f451.jpg

Southwest

I came in early spring so lots of bushes and trees were flowering. This was sort of weird because I had seen them flowering a few months earlier back home. My second spring in one year.
2014-09-26025837_zps0b82c9ca.jpg
2014-09-26030628_zps88daaf8a.jpg
2014-09-26112210_zps972f3e59.jpg
2014-09-26112341_zps6e242e2e.jpg
2014-09-26031540_zps94487abf.jpg
2014-09-26112012_zpsbc7783fa.jpg

Southwest

Then I had the pleasure to meet Troy which showed me as he said earlier some nice stuff around. I was really pleased to see Dicksonia growing in natural habitat. Specially the drive up the mountain with walls of Dicksonia were amazing.
2014-09-27025816_zpsa0bf68e7.jpg
2014-09-27025851_zps308c59c6.jpg
2014-09-27030154_zpsc0f05487.jpg
2014-09-27033348_zps1ab68643.jpg
Of course this waterfall which has been the best during my whole 5 months australia adventure.
2014-09-27030313_zpseb429902.jpg
Some very tall trees as well....
2014-09-27033435_zpsf304a38a.jpg

Southwest

Tasmania is very hilly which give you this amazing view driving up the mountain.
2014-09-27041908_zps65cd8fad.jpg
Up the mountain...
2014-09-27044748_zps34e9a65d.jpg
2014-09-27044923_zps1305aff3.jpg
2014-09-27045639_zpsa0b87fb4.jpg
My tourguide and host Troy itself
2014-09-27033016_zpsbaadeef8.jpg
Some shots of his nice garden with some palms that I would love to grow. Based on the BOM website (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/annual/tas/summary.shtml) my year average should be warmer then Tasmania or at least Hobart. There is one big difference, the winters over there are not that frosty as here why Troy can grow some palms which I can't. The frostfree winter of 2013/2014 I had was more a Tasmania winter.
Butyagrus
2014-09-28012118_zps8b00998b.jpg

Southwest