IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chameadorea Costaricana x Woodsoniana

Pedro 65

Last year for some light entertainment I got the male pollen of a Chameadora Costaricana and pollinated a Cham woodsoniana , I redusted the pollen over each day for a few days.

Cross pollination was successful but the seeds where very small and only 1/50 germinated as pic1746 shows the 1n only still in its compot.

I sent the same nmbr of seeds to 3 other Ptalkers , Ive only heard back from Mr Geiger and his germination rate was the same.

Anyway, Im now doing a reverse with male pollen of Woodsoniana to a female Costaricana and because of very low germination rates all seed is "accounted for" sorry.

Pic 1761 is the male inflo Cwoods on the stems of Ccosta after dusting.

Woodsonia is the largest of the Chams and imo Costaricana is 1 of the best looking clumping Cham so future growth will be interesting.. hope so anyway.

Pete :)

post-5709-0-66820200-1412211358_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-34788800-1412211570_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-68130500-1412211696_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-62760400-1412211737_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Pete we are friends. Please, just call me Mr. :)

It is true. Only two germinated out of all that seed. Both are proving to be slow growers as seedlings. Thanks again!

Good luck on your reverse.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Pete we are friends. Please, just call me Mr. :)

It is true. Only two germinated out of all that seed. Both are proving to be slow growers as seedlings. Thanks again!

Good luck on your reverse.

Ok Mr, will keep you updated on the reverse :)

Do keep us apprized.

This could be a truly cool palm. (Or, maybe monumentally ugly.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Pete, cool you are trying this--love this genus and I admit to doing such with my 25 plus species. If my remember correctly, the dominant trait in Chamaedorea is solitary, meaning clumping traits are hard to come by when one of the parents is only a single form(woodsoniana).

I'm also interested in Chameodorea crosses. I hope to cross my woodsonia's in the future as well. How many years before they start flowering?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Here is where my woodsonia's are growth wisepost-97-0-44841300-1412343830_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 year later...

Will take some pics 2morrow of the X, its a Single Costaricana lookn good,the leaves/frond imo will be "larger" than the clumping Costa..  and the reverse , well near "all" the seeds germinated, hows yrs looking Len ?

Pete :) 

• Upvote 1

024.thumb.JPG.ae990860ab4d027806ce9dfff3Last frond/leaf is 1100mm/ 110cm long and nice and wide, heres some pics to tell true :)  Pete

008.thumb.JPG.13446143fee58c550f6ac18199

• Upvote 2

Hey Pete. The cross of this I have one and it is ready for planting. The reverse I have like 15 and need to be potter up. Thanks again.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

10 hours ago, LJG said:

Hey Pete. The cross of this I have one and it is ready for planting. The reverse I have like 15 and need to be potter up. Thanks again.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lookn'n good Len :greenthumb: and as our pics show it looks very much looks like the trunk will be Woodsoniana and Leaves/Fronds are Costa but larger, should grow into a good looking Chamy I think, better looking than Woody anyway. btw when I gave my frond length it incl the petiole, see if the next new leaf is larger on the both of ours, should be I reckon. Your revervse is larger than mine as mine are "squished"  in a compot and need potting up "badly".  I think I'll X  Tepejilote and Costa next for a trial run. Thanks for the pics.   Pete :)