IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Euterpe edulis 'Orange Crownshaft'

KennyRE317

looks like mine's starting to show a little color. i've had this guy for about a year and a half and it's been pretty neglected, minus the once a week watering, since it sits in a corner where it's not really visible so the wife never tells me to move it with the rest of my potted stuff. i was cleaning up the bromeliad corner and noticed it finally gave me a real frond, you can see that there's another spike that's a few inches out as well. after seeing the nice new frond i decided to clean up the old leaf bases for the first time and it's nice to see a little color in there. i was going to repot it with some fresh soil since i still don't think i have the canopy for this guy but now i'm not sure if i should even bother moving it since it seems like it's moving pretty well

CVIpoi0.jpg

TkiFLed.jpg

Edited by KennyRE317

Lookin' good. Do not, do not, do not, ever pull the leaf bases off of a Euterpe. Guaranteed way to get pink rot. They are the most pink rot prone palm I've ever seen.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Mine is getting more orange now that the sun angle is hitting the crownshaft. So based on that observation I'd plant this palm in as much light/sun as it can handle and still look good because that seems to bring out it's color.

post-126-0-20820400-1412201393_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Mine is getting more orange now that the sun angle is hitting the crownshaft. So based on that observation I'd plant this palm in as much light/sun as it can handle and still look good because that seems to bring out it's color.

thanks for the tip of not pulling off leaf bases, how much sun does yours get? i know i have the regular E.edulis and they're still looking pretty good with all day full sun in a 1gal bucket.

yours is looking real good and seems like it's growing tall pretty quick

Edited by KennyRE317

Lookin' good. Do not, do not, do not, ever pull the leaf bases off of a Euterpe. Guaranteed way to get pink rot. They are the most pink rot prone palm I've ever seen.

Matty's totally right on this. Seeing pink rot is rare up here but I had a big trunked out Eurterpe that I was always too anxious to "clean up" and it suddenly died and, sure enough, there was pink rot right at the last two petiole bases that had travelled to the growing point and the top just snapped off. I have a young one that is just about to show its first ring but I will have to wait 'til it falls off by itself.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Mine is in about a half day sun and it loves it. I suspect it could take a lot more sun as long as it's well watered.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Mine is in about a half day sun and it loves it. I suspect it could take a lot more sun as long as it's well watered.

that's good to know, maybe i should start moving it out of the corner and give it a bit more light

Kenny,

We have this triple that gets fairly serious Hawaiian sun about half the day and either dappled shade or overcast the other half of the time. I think they could probably take even more sun since they've never looked burned or like they are sun wilting. They get light water but not as much as they probably should to speed their growth.

I would think yours might adapt to more light quite readily.

Lee

post-3412-0-29771700-1412212809_thumb.jp

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Kenny,

We have this triple that gets fairly serious Hawaiian sun about half the day and either dappled shade or overcast the other half of the time. I think they could probably take even more sun since they've never looked burned or like they are sun wilting. They get light water but not as much as they probably should to speed their growth.

Lee

attachicon.gifEuterpes--orange-crownshaft.jpg

wow , thats very serious colour already :greenthumb:

Pete :)

Kenny,

Lee

Lee,

Those look real nice. Makes me want to plant some.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

My first two here at the yard are not growing to my expectations, but the one at the nursery which gets lots of sun is really performing well. They really like some strong hours of sun!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have two of these planted in dappled light, bit slow probably need more sun by the sounds. I'd love some more. All pics here look great.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mine is getting more orange now that the sunsun angle is hitting the crownshaft. So based on that observation I'd plant this palm in as much light/sun as it can handle and still look good because that seems to bring out it's color.

Matt is that a true Orange Crownshaft or a regular edulis? I was under the impression OC are pretty marginal here. I gotta get me some if not!!

Mine is getting more orange now that the sunsun angle is hitting the crownshaft. So based on that observation I'd plant this palm in as much light/sun as it can handle and still look good because that seems to bring out it's color.

Matt is that a true Orange Crownshaft or a regular edulis? I was under the impression OC are pretty marginal here. I gotta get me some if not!!

i believe the other orange crownshaft Euterpe species are catinga and espiritosantensis and both are significantly less cold hardy. a regular edulis is pretty green so Matty's should be the edulis "orange crownshaft" variety, i recall reading of a few others in socal. LilikoiLee's are absolutely beautiful but hard to tell if it's the E.edulis orange crownshaft or E.catinga since in her climate she can grow both. mine's slowly starting to show some color and has always been kept outdoors. If you find any for sale let me know, i'd love to pick up an extra or 2 for spares

Mine was labled E. Orange Crownshaft, from SLO palms at one of the PSSC meetings

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i believe the other orange crownshaft Euterpe species are catinga and espiritosantensis and both are significantly less cold hardy. a regular edulis is pretty green so Matty's should be the edulis "orange crownshaft" variety, i recall reading of a few others in socal. LilikoiLee's are absolutely beautiful but hard to tell if it's the E.edulis orange crownshaft or E.catinga since in her climate she can grow both. mine's slowly starting to show some color and has always been kept outdoors. If you find any for sale let me know, i'd love to pick up an extra or 2 for spares

Not Catinga for sure. That is an easy one to ID. Also, like you pointed out, it is very cold sensitive. I lost two seedlings in my greenhouse when I hit 40. Espiritosantensis can be grown here. But now that this Orange Crownshaft thing came around, makes Espiritosantensis seem like an ugly duckling.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Not Catinga for sure. That is an easy one to ID. Also, like you pointed out, it is very cold sensitive. I lost two seedlings in my greenhouse when I hit 40. Espiritosantensis can be grown here. But now that this Orange Crownshaft thing came around, makes Espiritosantensis seem like an ugly duckling.

Euterpe Orange c/shaft is absolutely an Edulis var and can withstand very very cool conditions.

Pic below ( from Pacsoa of Espiritosantensis) was taken by Gileno, and has a "must, must have " appeal, this stunning Euterpe also is far more Oleracea than Eduis and would only grow in a Tropical climate, I think pics of Espiritosantenis need reshuffling to let folks know what they have as Espirit "will not" turn into the below pic.

post-5709-0-50359600-1412408251_thumb.jp

Euterpe Orange c/shaft is absolutely an Edulis var and can withstand very very cool conditions.

Pic below ( from Pacsoa of Espiritosantensis) was taken by Gileno, and has a "must, must have " appeal, this stunning Euterpe also is far more Oleracea than Eduis and would only grow in a Tropical climate, I think pics of Espiritosantenis need reshuffling to let folks know what they have as Espirit "will not" turn into the below pic.

Yeah, if that is what Espiritosantenis turned into that would be great. That is why everyone was growing it. Pete, are you saying what you guys got down there wasn't this plant either? I bought a few of these and grew them up and they just looked basically like an Edulis. Figured JD Andersen where I got them just mixed up seed or tags. Anyone growing these in SoCal that I have seen, none look like they will grown into what we see in the Pics.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yeah, if that is what Espiritosantenis turned into that would be great. That is why everyone was growing it. Pete, are you saying what you guys got down there wasn't this plant either? I bought a few of these and grew them up and they just looked basically like an Edulis. Figured JD Andersen where I got them just mixed up seed or tags. Anyone growing these in SoCal that I have seen, none look like they will grown into what we see in the Pics.
So Len, what's the verdict on the picture? Is there a consensus on what it is?

So if I read this thread right, Euterpe OC is hardy in SoCal and will at least somewhat resemble the picture from PACSOA. Right?

So if I read this thread right, Euterpe OC is hardy in SoCal and will at least somewhat resemble the picture from PACSOA. Right?

That is a habitat photo of the palm being called Euterpe sp. 'espiritosantensis'. Unfortunately the plants being sold as such are not growing into that palm in the photo.

The Euterpe " Orange Crownshaft" palm does seem SoCal hardy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, the Euterpe edulis orange crownshaft here in Oz are the same as shown in Cali, Florida, Hawaii etc and as below pic shows there are obvious differences between the 2 different Euterpe's, esp the wider hanging leaflets and end of leaf/frond having a "cut off" look..

1 man that could give us an "answer" and stop us from wondering is of course Gileno, "Please" chime in Gileno :)

Below large pic was taken by Philippe at Singapore BG of what "very much" looks like the Euterpe sp Gileno photographed and doing so well in Singapore shows it "loves the Tropics"

Jill Menzels, E edulis orange pic was taken by ( Palmtalk name licuala ) 5 yrs ago

Ipost-6735-0-31557100-1378935303.jpg

DSCN3862.JPG - Size: 304.97KB, Downloads: 31Image 6 of 12
download-icon.png

post-5709-0-38750100-1412483917_thumb.jp

Pete, I understand that. No debate there. I am just pointing out the other plam called Euterpe sp. 'espiritosantensis' is not turning into the looker you see in the habitat photos. At least the ones I have seen. The Orange Crownshaft plant on the other hand is a real winner like we see in all these pictures.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, the Euterpe edulis orange crownshaft here in Oz are the same as shown in Cali, Florida, Hawaii etc and as below pic shows there are obvious differences between the 2 different Euterpe's, esp the wider hanging leaflets and end of leaf/frond having a "cut off" look..

1 man that could give us an "answer" and stop us from wondering is of course Gileno, "Please" chime in Gileno :)

Below large pic was taken by Philippe at Singapore BG of what "very much" looks like the Euterpe sp Gileno photographed and doing so well in Singapore shows it "loves the Tropics"

Jill Menzels, E edulis orange pic was taken by ( Palmtalk name licuala ) 5 yrs ago

Ipost-6735-0-31557100-1378935303.jpg

DSCN3862.JPG - Size: 304.97KB, Downloads: 31Image 6 of 12

download-icon.png

Pete,

I am not sure that I can shed any light on things. But, I do have some Euterpes that look a lot like the one in your first photo on the post. These are a type of E. precatoria, or at least I thought they were. I do know that the seeds came from Amazonas state. So, they must be very tropical. The color is not strong, but very noticeable. dk

DSC_0513_zps28889b6f.jpg

DSC_0516_zps01a4ac49.jpg

DSC_0517_zpse3900f36.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Lucky you Don, Euterpe precatoria variegata is a stunning euterpe and certainly "very tropical" in its requirements as is Oleracea, I love both mentioned but too cool here for them :(

Whats your thoughts on the Euterpe sp Gileno photographed below?

post-5709-0-14411000-1412732886_thumb.jp

That is a habitat photo of the palm being called Euterpe sp. 'espiritosantensis'. Unfortunately the plants being sold as such are not growing into that palm in the photo.

The Euterpe " Orange Crownshaft" palm does seem SoCal hardy.

Thank you sir.

• 2 months later...

Question: Do all Euterpe edulis (single trunk) have colored crown shafts? I bought a tall, 2 gallon from Phil and seems happy so far inside but guess I wasn't aware the crown shaft had any color so didn't know if there was other species.

In researching Euterpe edulis it's funny to see some nursery sites say they are fast growing, others say slow growing and height anywhere from 10-30ft when mature...quite the ranges!

How about in the real world from members here? although I know most have theirs planted in the ground is there any members that have kept theirs in pots with words of advice?

Question: Do all Euterpe edulis (single trunk) have colored crown shafts? I bought a tall, 2 gallon from Phil and seems happy so far inside but guess I wasn't aware the crown shaft had any color so didn't know if there was other species.

In researching Euterpe edulis it's funny to see some nursery sites say they are fast growing, others say slow growing and height anywhere from 10-30ft when mature...quite the ranges!

How about in the real world from members here? although I know most have theirs planted in the ground is there any members that have kept theirs in pots with words of advice?

there's a big difference in the crown shaft between regular Euterpe Edulis and the orange crownshaft version, that's why I payed extra for my OC version. If you bought a regular Euterpe Edulis , sorry to say the crownshaft won't look special.

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Thanks for the info. I did some digging to the specific blog that Phil had on his site when I bought mine and it does look like he was selling the ones with color....from his blog in Oct. 6 2014

Euterpe edulis is a fast growing, thin trunked, pinnate palm with a long colorful crown shaft. Crown shaft color varies from green to a mahogany brown. This species is native to Brazil and northern Argentina. It is cold hardy into the mid-twenties F. It prefers to start as a younger plant in strong filtered light and work its way into the sun. On the pictures here, I am showing a nice 5g plant with color already showing on the trunk (crown shaft). Also look at the large nursery specimen. The photo from habitat was taken by Gaston Torres from PACSOA.

Crownshaft colour can be highly variable in edulis. Typically dark green but can red, orange purple etc. Contrary to So. Cal experience the "edulis var espiritosantensis" is a much better performer than the Orange crownshaft here. Maybe it's a humidity thing.

Crownshaft colour can be highly variable in edulis. Typically dark green but can red, orange purple etc. Contrary to So. Cal experience the "edulis var espiritosantensis" is a much better performer than the Orange crownshaft here. Maybe it's a humidity thing.

Or the "edulis var espiritosantensis" you guys got is just Edulis - which happened here a few times :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Or the "edulis var espiritosantensis" you guys got is just Edulis - which happened here a few times :)

Yes, hence the " " . Edulis for sure but not as wimpy as the orange form. But the plants are distinct from what we grow as standard edulis so time will tell if they are an interesting variation. Orange is very tricky indeed for us.

just saw this thread again. well since posting this topic i moved it out of the shade corner where it was always in shade to a spot that gets about 3-4 hours of early day sun and the spear's about 6" or more longer so it's at least growing through this warm winter real well. my other E.edulis show no color except green

Even the "plain Jane" Edulis can have really beautiful crownshaft color. I saw one in Huntington Beach that was a deep green, almost a forest green. It looked great!

Even the "plain Jane" Edulis can have really beautiful crownshaft color. I saw one in Huntington Beach that was a deep green, almost a forest green. It looked great!

i'm pretty much torturing my all E.edulis. they're 1gal plants were in 1/2 day summer sun and full summer sun, i think 3 or 4 in each spot, even now in the winter they're moved in the same amount of sun so they can stay used to it but they're doing okay still and it's been about a year since i've had them. they are large 1gal plants though but i can't comment on the color since they're either slightly burnt or everything's a palish yellow green from so much sun exposure

Edited by KennyRE317

Kenny,

Lee

nicely grown Lee!! very orange and nice!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24