IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalystylis after a long hot summer

MattyB

Here's my Rhopalostylis sapida 'Chatham Island' after the long hot summer. It spent at least a year under shade cloth, growing roots, getting established, and in early Spring I removed the shade cloth. It looked fine until the end of summer. I guess it wasn't ready for 3/4 of a day in full sun with temps in the 90's and on a few occasions exceeding 100. I've been draping a sheet over it to help cut the sun exposure down to help it live through summer. Hopefully it'll live and next summer we can try again with a more developed canopy and more established Rhopie.

post-126-0-77704100-1412175350_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yeah, same here.

Unless you're right at the beach, you'll probably always have KFR problems with sapida in the summer. My two big ones are under Archontophoenix canopy and they still burn a bit.

Baueri are much better.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mine used to look like this (maybe lightly less scorched) exposed only to the east side and overhead, to get an idea...

mine's about the same size (solid 15gal) planted a year ago in full winter and summer sun and went through the summer/fall heatwave last year up to now and is looking much better. the newest frond looked good all year until this past heatwave where it saw high 90's and now they have about 1-2" of burnt tips so all in all it doesn't look too bad. i have room for one thin palm in the little area where the Chatham Island will grow away from and i'm wondering if i should put something there to help give it some light canopy. would have to be something quick growing since i'd have to go small to minimize the root disturbance and the soil is pretty bad anything more than a 8" deep

i've had alot of luck with just throwing my palms out in full sun, some don't look the best but it seems as if they kick the burn real quick. a couple of the smaller palms are still chugging along trying to adjust but most are handling full all day sun without much of an issue

Yeah, same here.

Unless you're right at the beach, you'll probably always have KFR problems with sapida in the summer. My two big ones are under Archontophoenix canopy and they still burn a bit.

Baueri are much better.

Enlighten me Davey m'lad. Does that have something to do with the Colonel's chicken?

Yeah, same here.

Baueri are much better.

Enlighten me Davey m'lad. Does that have something to do with the Colonel's chicken?

Kentucky Fried Rhopie, great with a side sweet taters . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I saw some good ones in balboa park last weekend. Mattyb, how !any miles are you from the water? My guess would be 10

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Yep, I'm about 10 miles inland. I purposefully planted it in partial sun because I like the look of a sun grown Rhopie. The canopy will fill in more with time, so I think it'll be perfect eventually.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

My baueri got similarly fried as well. Probably gets 1/2 day sun. About the size of a small 15 gallon plant.

don't have any experience with regular baueri but i have a 5gal sized cheesemanii that gets around 7 hours of direct summer and fall sun and looks perfect with super green fronds and no signs of burn. makes me wish i could swap it with the Chatham Island that gets full all day sun

Edited by KennyRE317

Yeah, same here.

Baueri are much better.

I read it as Kentucky Fried Rat. Maybe in some parts of the world........ 4 drumsticks per chicken, what a novel idea.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yeah, same here.

Baueri are much better.

I read it as Kentucky Fried Rat. Maybe in some parts of the world........ 4 drumsticks per chicken, what a novel idea.

don't mention rat, just got rid of the one in that's been in the garage the last few days and it may be the same one that's been tearing through my potted plants. it's destroyed trays of Chamaedorea oblongata, C.radicalis, and C.tepejilote

My R. baueri looks far worse than yours there. It had 5 or so leaves in spring with mild to moderate burn and now it is down to 1 miniature leaf. The palm was close to 5 feet tall and now is about 2 feet tall with all the die back. The unusual heat wave we had in May killed off the exposed part of the heel on the palm and many of its roots and everything went downhill from there. Hopefully our palms will grow out of their damage and look good.

here's mine.

Chatham Island - all day full sun 9am-7pm in the summer,

9DPKa8q.jpg

Cheesemanii - gets probably about 6-7hours, the newest 2 fronds before the one opening have no burns. this one will start getting more shade since the 2 Howea forsteriana are really starting to move and i planted a good sized Chambeyronia in the vacinity that will start blocking alot of light.

YnyfeeV.jpg

Yep, I'm about 10 miles inland. I purposefully planted it in partial sun because I like the look of a sun grown Rhopie. The canopy will fill in more with time, so I think it'll be perfect eventually.

I'm 4 miles inland. I'm just beginning on my palm journey, only bought our house 6 months ago. I'm learning a little canopy goes a long way towards the health of some palms...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I'm 4 miles inland. I'm just beginning on my palm journey, only bought our house 6 months ago. I'm learning a little canopy goes a long way towards the health of some palms...

canopy is nice because you can plant your palms immediately. all my plants looked like crap at the beginning of the year because of sun burn but now everything has green'd up and my only problem is i can't plant anything that can''''t handle full sun. i don't think i'll be planting much come next growing season since i'm probably about 2 years from any type of canopy or sun blocking and wrapping my plants in shade cloth isn't an option

My baueri got similarly fried as well. Probably gets 1/2 day sun. About the size of a small 15 gallon plant.

don't have any experience with regular baueri but i have a 5gal sized cheesemanii that gets around 7 hours of direct summer and fall sun and looks perfect with super green fronds and no signs of burn. makes me wish i could swap it with the Chatham Island that gets full all day sun

I have a "cheesemanii" as well. I'm surprised that it got burnt, as I thought R. baueri was more sun tolerant. It got plenty of water. I like the "Chatham Island version the best, but I wanted something smaller.

Matty i think it will get there it just takes time .

My largest Chatham Island Rhopy is in full sun and the last two frond are finally burn free after 3 Summers in full sun .

post-1252-0-44800400-1412238195_thumb.jp

This one like Kenny's was grown from seed off Pogobobs palm in San Clemente back in 2008 .

Bob told me that he has quite a few growing in full sun in Vista .

The smaller one that i have planted out is still under 50 % shade cloth

post-1252-0-82026500-1412239211_thumb.jp

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I have a "cheesemanii" as well. I'm surprised that it got burnt, as I thought R. baueri was more sun tolerant. It got plenty of water. I like the "Chatham Island version the best, but I wanted something smaller.

I've been neglecting it otherwise. It probably could use come nutrients, but the burn happened during the heat wave. It will look better as my Sabal canopy continues to grow. (the top pic is my hedescepe, which has been covered with shade cloth (70%) most of the time).

post-7959-0-82732800-1412274417_thumb.jp

post-7959-0-42211900-1412274462_thumb.jp

Edited by Sabal Steve