IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ceroxylon in Quindio - feast your eyes

J. australis

So my ex-husband is on tour in South America, with an itinerary that sounds like he's stolen my holiday. First Chile, then Colombia, now in Quito...it's like a palm address book. At least I can bombard the poor bugger with photo requests. Otherwise, it'd kill me ;)

Here's the result of 'you're in Quindio? OMG OMG the worlds tallest palm OMG' etc:

post-534-0-51741900-1412034202_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-37281700-1412034218_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-49564200-1412034232_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-47745700-1412034246_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are awesome pics Jo. Thanks for posting.

Those crowns look so small on top of a 200ft trunk but I bet they're huge up close.

I'm going to get back into Ceroxylons now I'm in a cooler area. If I even get two rings on the trunk I'd be ecstatic.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

When you go to the Sullivan Garden in Ventura you obviously check out the Dypsis Decipiens but the Ceroxylon in back of it steals the show IMHO. The trunk is impossible to replicate. I wish I could grow them here and if I still lived in Camarillo I would have ordered from RPS and put them all over my trailer park (the landscaping there is horrid). I wish I could pay someone to raise the recent seeds offered on RPS to five gallon size and plant them out in five years. If anyone is interested I'd offer two vacations out here in my villas in Costa Rica for a family of four (spaced a few years apart to ensure serious folks) for the effort (I'd pay for the seeds as well). Just sayin. PM if interested.

I wish I'd taken them for obvious reasons. But plenty of vicarious enjoyment to be had, anyway. I think though that by the time he's fully documented the Parajubaea genus for me, I will turn green and implode with envy.

I get photos like this from him most days- jeeezummy!:post-534-0-71676400-1412036532_thumb.jpg

And Tyrone, I'm growing Ceroxylon in Melbourne- only 198 feet to go!

Amazing Jo! In the top five Quindiuenses pictures. I started to love palms when i was there in 1992.

Gaston Torres Vera

Cordoba, Argentina

Thanks jo

I have recently got some C quindiuese seeds ~ !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks for the pics Jo, any chance in posting pics of some of those Ceroxylons in your garden.

I have 2 Amazonicum growing in my garden that seem to be going pretty good.

I second that Jo. Let's have a look at your Melbourne ones. Great photos by the way and .... don't implode. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

OK chaps, I've had a couple of these guys for a few years, still in pots. Alpinum or Amazonicum - you decide! Funny thing us, they seem to like being really underpotted ( 'thimble style') and sitting in water.

Here's the best one. If you can tell me what's behind it, you can have my other one. Pick up only ;)

post-534-0-77995500-1412121369_thumb.jpgpost-534-0-65757100-1412121406_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos, sweet!

Fell in love with Quito on a visit there a few years back, marvelous place. Well worth the time it takes to get there plus the Amazon and the Galapagos are just a hop away in opposite directions.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

OK chaps, I've had a couple of these guys for a few years, still in pots. Alpinum or Amazonicum - you decide! Funny thing us, they seem to like being really underpotted ( 'thimble style') and sitting in water.

Here's the best one. If you can tell me what's behind it, you can have my other one. Pick up only ;)

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

They look real happy. What ever you're doing to them keep doing it. I don't know which one they are though sorry. The one behind them is it a L decora.

It spends winters sitting half submerged in cold water. Clearly, as happy as a clam. But suitably shady planting spots that don't cop a mid- summer blast of the 45 degree death ray previously known as 'sunshine' are in short supply.

That Livistona is not decora. Hint: mmmmm shiny. Hint B: it's just Gorges. :P. Come on, all you taxonomic gunslingers...

I'm almost certain the photo of the Jeeps was taken in Salento, Colombia. not Ecuador. this is the jump off for visiting the Valle del Cocora where the photos in post #1 were taken.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I didn't mean for my post to sound rude. I just figured Quindío (department in Colombia) was mistaken for Quito (city in Ecuador).

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Livistona sp Carnarvon is it. I don't know what that one is called now. Whatever it is, it's nice and healthy.

My interest in Livistona is increasing now that I live at 35S. If I can grow a few of them in deep shade maybe they'll take on that Licualaesque look to them.

Livistona are fabulous; I am quite overcome by their bewitching beauty. It's funny that the most widely grown species is the only true rainforest palm. I'm into growing all the tough buggers that have adapted to being burnt, boiled and blasted.

And yep that's the Carnarvon palm, Livistona nitida. You can have the other Ceroxylon anytime you're in Melbourne :)

Thanks Jo. But I think you should grow that Ceroxylon. :)

I've got some L jenkinsiana growing which seed came from Bhutan. They're meant to take wet cold conditions and mine are OK. I've also got a few Livistona that I grew from seed collected at a Cairns shopping centre carpark. They were tall things with small seeds. They're doing fine down here. They may be drudeii but I'm not sure. I must have looked like an idiot walking around the carpark foraging for seed that hadn't been squashed by a car on the bitumen. Only palm people would understand.

When you go to the Sullivan Garden in Ventura you obviously check out the Dypsis Decipiens but the Ceroxylon in back of it steals the show IMHO. The trunk is impossible to replicate. I wish I could grow them here and if I still lived in Camarillo I would have ordered from RPS and put them all over my trailer park (the landscaping there is horrid). I wish I could pay someone to raise the recent seeds offered on RPS to five gallon size and plant them out in five years. If anyone is interested I'd offer two vacations out here in my villas in Costa Rica for a family of four (spaced a few years apart to ensure serious folks) for the effort (I'd pay for the seeds as well). Just sayin. PM if interested.

I have planted a dozen of those seeds recently. Looking at those photos, I become even more eager to make them germinate and keep them alive - even though I'm aware that I cannot keep and raise them to such a height here in Germany (a greenhouse that tall still has to be built first). So, if I succeeded and and they are still alive in five years (although I doubt they will have 5 gallon size then), we have a deal :-)

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

• 10 months later...

Would it be a livistona chinenses, with a trachycarpus to the left which has been moved to 6 oclock, and a big rhopy to the left left?? Lol ill pick up that ceroxylon on the wknd lol