IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Atlanta where do you buy your hardy palms?

Hardypalms

Hi

I am in the north suburbs (Cherokee, North Fulton, Cobb area) and looking next spring to start planting. Looking for a Washingtonia filibusta to start.

Thanks

Patrick

A drive to North Florida should do the trick :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Look in box stores for Washy that does not look super green but has more of a silvery color. Tough to find as most places sell more robusta. To get a more true Filibusta you need to either start from seed or buy online.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Contact Steve Anderson who lives in Alabama and sells them...and ships. Great quality stuff too.

Edited by sashaeffer

Theres a guy up there near ATL who buys sabals, butias, and trachys here by the semi load. I forget his name but if I find it then I will PM you it. I know he sells filfera/ robustas as well.

Here is his email address, with latest fall price sheet of palms that he has now that he sent me when I asked.

Uses UPS, shipping has always been VERY reasonable and he packages his stuff very well.

NOTE: the species that he sells will change from season to season, and don't hesitate to ask about anything cold hardy that you don't see on the list as he might have it available the next season.

stevea07@earthlink.net

Acoelorraphe wrightii, 1 G, $15.00.
Brahea armata, 1/2 G, $16.00.
Butia catarinensis, 3 1/2" x 5", $5.00.
Butia sp Florianopolis, 2 G, $30.00.
Butia yatay, 2 G, $30.00.
Cycas taitungensis X revoluta, 1 G, $18.00.
Phoenix canariensis, 1 G, $15.00.
Phoenix dactylifera, (several varieties) 1/2 G (Medjool silver select), $16.00; 2 G (Zahidi) , $25.00.
Phoenix loureiroi var. humilis (Kashmir), 1 G, $20.00.
Phoenix theophrasti (Crete), 2 G, $25.00.
Rhapidophyllum hystrix, 3 1/2 x 5, $6.00; 1 G, $16.00; 4 G, $45.00.
Sabal 'birmingham', 2 G, $30.00.
Sabal miamiensis, 1/2 G, $18.00; @ g, $30.00.
Sabal minor (Warren, AR.), 2 gallon, $20.00.
Sabal minor (Cape Hatteras), 7 G, $45.00; 15 gallon $75.00.
Sabal minor 'McCurtain', 2 G, $20.00.
Sabal palmetto, 3 G, $28.00; 7 G, $45.
Trachycarpus 'manipur', 1/2 G, $18.00.
Trachycarpus takil, 1 G, $30.00.
Yucca schottii, 2 G, $24.00.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by sashaeffer

I have 6 palms of various sizes coming today, I'll try and remember to snap a picture to show how they come. With shipping price so affordable...I can buy more palms! One other thing, you can ask like I do to have palms shipped in their grow pots which I prefer.

Steve has great palms and packs them as well as anyone I have ever ordered palms from in the past. In fact, I complimented him on his packing because it was that good. I ordered a takil and palmetto from him earlier this year.

• Upvote 1

Sabal x Brazoriensis (2)

Buta Caarinensis (2)

Sabal Miamiensis

Trachycarpus "Manipur"

post-9928-0-98893300-1412300636_thumb.jp

Edited by sashaeffer

Awesome! They look good. I know you can't wait until Spring to plant them. Steve has great stuff.

Yes he does and I really like the soil he uses as well.

Had a Sun Tube installed in garage today as well to help some of my garage over wintered palms be happier.

post-9928-0-85865200-1412303786_thumb.jp

post-9928-0-54507000-1412303841_thumb.jp

Edited by sashaeffer

I am in the Atlanta area as well and plan on having a truckload of sabal palms brought up from Florida in the spring. Pm me if you are interested.

Sasheffer

I am just curious why you get your palms right before the winter instead of waiting for spring?

Can't wait to have them? LOL

Patrick

I have space to keep them and the items that Steve has for sale changes depending on the time of the year so if you see something that you want...best to grab it.

Plus...and most important, I can't seem to stop buying palms no matter how much I try.

There are far worse hobbies to have. lol

Sashaeffer

How much was shipping for the last batch if I may ask? I contacted him and he said that he will start some Washingtonia filibusta in the spring. I might have to go the seed route. I contacted someone on Ebay that sells filibusta seeds and I messaged them to ask if they were sure that they are filibusta seeds.No answer so far, I can't grow filibusta seeds and finding out in 2 years later that they are robusta. Where do you all get your seeds? From rarepalmseedsdotcom?

I have very little space to buy palms and keep them indoors. I have been there, done that, load up the garage and home then I had a mess on my hands. I might buy a Howea fosteriana to have something indoors.

Thanks

Patrick

I think it was either $18 or $25 from his location to Omaha, NE.

I don't have luck with seeds other than Mexican Fan Palms and Bizzys.

Edited by sashaeffer