IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few palms around my neighborhood on the Negro River

amazondk

I went for a walk up the shore of the Negro River from my place in Paricatuba yesterday. The level of the Negro River is now dropping quickly as it gets toward the end of the Amazonian summer. The dry season is in full force with daily temperatures hitting 40 C and little rain. This year the river rose to nearly record levels and has dropped slower than usual due to precipitation patterns around the Amazon Basin. The access road to Paricatuba (10 kms) is now being paved so getting there will be a lot better from now on. And, I hope to spend more time working on my garden there. It has been sort of neglected lately. But, all in all things have grown.

This is a Bismarkia that has done real well. I guess it is in a favorable spot on the land.

DSC_0152_zpse733fb1c.jpg

The Eugenia precatoria group has also started to shoot up well.

DSC_0153_zpsdaf845eb.jpg

The Astrocaryum aculeatum always does well. I think this is prime habitat for the tree. They grow great on very poor soil with strong equatorial sunshine.

DSC_0154_zps4ddb2c59.jpg

The beach and the Mauritia grove is always a sight to appreciate.

DSC_0161_zps2e3b92d3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Canoes in waiting for their owners.

DSC_0162_zps29163f84.jpg

The river front of the Negro River has an ecosystem called the Igapoo, flooded forest. It is a rich ecosystem with many species of plants.

A common philodendron of flooded areas in Amazonia.

DSC_0164_zps2f33d1dc.jpg

The stream that flows by my place is home to a large grove of Maurtia flexuosa.

One of the most common palms along the river is the Leopoldina pulchra. It lives in the sandy soils that are flooded for at least 6 months of the year in many places This is a young one holding on in the sand.

DSC_0158_zps320f159a.jpg

The river side forest is home to palms of the high ground forest such as the Attalea maripa in this picture.

DSC_0170_zps4a53b32b.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

A small Leopoldina pulchra. This is a common river front palm along the Negro River. It is one of my favorites.

DSC_0168_zps0a1be06c.jpg

Mature L. pulchra

DSC_0173_zps031163ed.jpg

DSC_0175_zps573d4422.jpg

The next beach up the river has a house belonging to the Colonel, as he is called locally. He never seems to be home.

DSC_0177_zps1eb933e3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The beach in front of the Colonel's place.

DSC_0178_zpsee04f775.jpg

A lone Mauritia on the beach, not their normal habitat.

DSC_0179_zps3e0b5b42.jpg

Euterpe precatoria

DSC_0180_zps329e3521.jpg

Astrocaryum aculeatum

DSC_0182_zps136508d5.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Sandstone outcroppings are common along the river.

DSC_0185_zps863b3446.jpg

Many seed germinate this time of the year as the river receeds.

DSC_0187_zpsd5cc5c24.jpg

Attalea maripa

DSC_0188_zps62d7d90a.jpg

DSC_0186_zps21fa9c39.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

More L. pulchra

DSC_0189_zps57b76092.jpg

DSC_0190_zps1e321d53.jpg

DSC_0191_zps4f9f2a7b.jpg

DSC_0219_zpsfecd8fce.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

L pulchra - a beautiful tree in all sizes.

DSC_0202_zps66533bed.jpg

DSC_0204_zps3e9c12b8.jpg

DSC_0203_zps923ee53c.jpg

DSC_0200_zps687475e4.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Igapo flooded forest and the black waters of the Rio Negro.

DSC_0209_zps223d0de7.jpg

DSC_0208_zps55f2065a.jpg

DSC_0206_zps15bdb8fd.jpg

DSC_0207_zpsf8d4ae44.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Another canoe waiting for it's owner.

DSC_0196_zps28160953.jpg

Someone made a private riverside pool fed by a forest stream.

DSC_0195_zps12c2ea5d.jpg

DSC_0192_zpse84d7798.jpg

The taruma - a common tree in the igapo

DSC_0205_zps48942a03.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Thanks for the photos! :) You have such an incredibly unique place there - definitely a one-of-a-kind! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oi Brasil.

I hope you will be posting many more photos from Paradise.

would you be so kind as to give some info about your life there?

Don, I imagine that those little seedling Leopoldinia spend about half their immature life under the water? Could these be grown underwater, indefinitely? I would bet the roots can never be allowed to dry out = DEATH for this palm, no?

Aloha Don, so nice to see you posting again. So, the new bridge must be finished and the time from Manaus to Paricatuba must take much less time. You sound good, things are going well I hope.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Don,

Thanks for the photos! :) You have such an incredibly unique place there - definitely a one-of-a-kind! :)

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo,

The Negro River is for sure a unique place. And, our little spot is quite unique in itself. Now that the access road is being paved it will make it a lot easier to spend more time there. I have a lot of work to do.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I imagine that those little seedling Leopoldinia spend about half their immature life under the water? Could these be grown underwater, indefinitely? I would bet the roots can never be allowed to dry out = DEATH for this palm, no?

I am not really sure how dry the roots get. I guess the main question is how deep do they get how fast. The ecosystem they grow in is very extreme. During much of the year they are submerged and the rest they get baked in the sun. Although as you can see most are in at least partial shade. Since the sand where they grow drains easily it also dries out easily. I will make it a point to dig down a bit around a young seedling to see just how dry the soil gets. I do not think the w indefinitely under water. The areas where I took the pictures are under water from 4 to 6 months a year mostly. Although in some years that could be a little more.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Oi Brasil.

I hope you will be posting many more photos from Paradise.

would you be so kind as to give some info about your life there?

Thanks. I am glad you like the pictures. It has been a while since I have posted much. As to my life here I am currently developing the sales of LED lighting. Not a lot to do with palms. Unless you install lights to illuminate them at night.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Aloha Don, so nice to see you posting again. So, the new bridge must be finished and the time from Manaus to Paricatuba must take much less time. You sound good, things are going well I hope.

Tim

Hi Tim, Yes the bridge yes the bridge has been done now for two years. That has helped a lot. The ferry boat service was a real pain. Now I can get from my house to Paricatuba in a little over an hour if the traffic in the city is light. Manaus has terrible traffic and that can be a delay. It seems like the 10 km access road will be paved finally. At least they have started to lay down asphalt and the road is graded nice and smooth. That will make a big difference. And, also let me come and go without the car turning into a mess. There are a lot of beautiful places in the world. And, in my book the Negro River is at the top part of the list.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here is some information about the Negro River

http://www.feow.org/ecoregions/details/rio_negro

This article cites the human occupation in the Manaus region. There are a lot of artifacts found and the population was much larger than previously thought. I am sure that Paricatuba has been inhabited for a long time. There are artifacts found in the area going back 5 to 6 thousand years. In fact the more ancient pottery is more sophisticated than the newer pieces found.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/10/amazon-brazil-stone-age-etchings

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The area is a great mystery anyway you think about it.Rio solimoes got its name from the ancient aggressive tribe living on its banks,the Amazon of course got its name from the Amazons the existence of which Francisco de Orellana documented in the region etc.

I remember seeing a German documentary on the Rio negro twenty years ago where the explorers suddenly stumbled upon walls about ten feet tall,maybe a foot thick,astonished and perplexed they continued their exploration of the ecosystem.The archaeology of the Amazon is in its infancy.

On another note I wonder how it feels to wake up at night,step outside the entrance door and breath Amazonian air ,underneath the Magellanic clouds.

The area is a great mystery anyway you think about it.Rio solimoes got its name from the ancient aggressive tribe living on its banks,the Amazon of course got its name from the Amazons the existence of which Francisco de Orellana documented in the region etc.

I remember seeing a German documentary on the Rio negro twenty years ago where the explorers suddenly stumbled upon walls about ten feet tall,maybe a foot thick,astonished and perplexed they continued their exploration of the ecosystem.The archaeology of the Amazon is in its infancy.

On another note I wonder how it feels to wake up at night,step outside the entrance door and breath Amazonian air ,underneath the Magellanic clouds.

Thanks for the comments. There are estimates that the Amazon region had up to 10 million inhabitants at the time of European contact. And, these people had modified large areas of the region. There are estimates that up to 15 percent of the Amazon forest was deforested at this time. Today the total is about 18 percent. The form was different though as it was in smaller tracks not larger areas such as ranches and farms. Here in Manaus there must have been large populations. The combination of the varzea flooded forest, the fish rich Solimoes / Amazon river and the Negro river with it's sandy beaches and near absence of biting insects made for a natural place for human population to flourish. There is no accident that Manaus today has around 2 million inhabitants. There must have been a lot of contact between this part of South America and the Andean region. It is common in Manaus to find funeral urns of precolombian times when excavating for construction.

There is nothing like sitting by the Negro River on an isolated beach under the full moon.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Very nice! Please post more when you have the opportunity.

Thanks Tom.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

At this point I reached the end of the morning's trail.

DSC_0222_zpsd39de5eb.jpg

Here is a video of a part of the hike back. I walked through the area that a short time ago was under water.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Pl0dZP1Vkfc&feature=vm

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This video shows an area within the flooded forest and some L. pulchra palms. The lighter colored leaves on the vegetation marks where the water was at high point this year.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=sDt_xVQBFt4

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Unfortunately I can't watch these videos and I hope I am the only one who cannot.

I tried from my windows phone,my only device with internet connection at the moment and couldn't.

I think it asks for your login information.

Unfortunately I can't watch these videos and I hope I am the only one who cannot.

I tried from my windows phone,my only device with internet connection at the moment and couldn't.

I think it asks for your login information.

That is too bad. I published them as public, so you should have access. I am seeing about uploading to another service and will let you know.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

George,

You can try this link on my one drive to see if it works.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C410B73ADBA9F6CF%213020

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Jo,

I am glad you enjoyed. Amazonia is a world of it's own in many ways. There are other large tropical forests in the world. But, non compare to Amazonia.

Rafael,

È um prazer imenso compartilhar um pouco do ponto do mundo onde vivo. A TAP tem voos direto de Manaus a Lisboa agora. Eu gostaria muito de conhecer Portugal. Quem sabe vou conseguir um dia.

Um grande abraço, dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great stuff!!! Thank you for sharing. The Amazon is so primally attractive. I have always had a fascination with the region. At one time or another, I 've kept many species of fish from the rivers there. Maybe I should restock my empty tank with some Amazonian fish again.

I wonder why Leopoldinia isn't in horticulture? It seems that it wouldn't be any more challenging than several other amazonian palms such as Mauritia, Mauritiella, Phytelephas, etc.

It seems like a beautiful, petite palm.

Great stuff!!! Thank you for sharing. The Amazon is so primally attractive. I have always had a fascination with the region. At one time or another, I 've kept many species of fish from the rivers there. Maybe I should restock my empty tank with some Amazonian fish again.

My pleasure. As to the fish most of them come from an area up river from Manaus in the vicinity of the town of Barcelos. They have a festival every year in honor of the tropical fish exports.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I wonder why Leopoldinia isn't in horticulture? It seems that it wouldn't be any more challenging than several other amazonian palms such as Mauritia, Mauritiella, Phytelephas, etc.

It seems like a beautiful, petite palm.

I agree that it is a beautiful palm. I think that it would grow well in landscapes as long as the climate is right and enough moisture. There are a bunch of them planted on the grounds of a hotel in Manaus on dry land and they do fine.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Wow, Don, that is one hell of a 'hood!

More?

How about Manaus, and the parks there? Bet there's palms galore!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, Nice to have your comments. Regarding palms around town there are a lot. There are scattered forest fragments around town with Mauritias and other natives. And, there are parks with exotics planted. But, the city could do a lot more. Manaus actually has what I believe is the largest tropical forest reserve in the world within the city limits. That is the reserva Ducke which has an area of 10,000 hecatres. The reserve is home to jaguars, harpy eagles and all of the typical animals of the region. Not to mention a good selection of the native vegetation. Years ago I posted a video from the reserve that Dean did for me.

Thanks Darold, glad you enjoyed.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the forested part of my place. It is bordered on the slope side of the land by the Mauritia grove and stream that can be seen from first pictures of the thread in slides one and two.

One of the native trees I like a lot is the Astrocaryum acaule.

DSC_0605_zps5100e5d4.jpg

DSC_0602_zpsefb59d65.jpg

DSC_0601_zps0c373dc6.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The slope of the land is old secondary forest and has many of the typical species from the Terra Firme ecosystem.

DSC_0610_zps35f4936b.jpg

DSC_0609_zps476fe1eb.jpg

Escada de Jaboti - Turtle ladder vine.

DSC_0611_zps738d99dc.jpg

DSC_0599_zpsb538ba68.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg