Adonida in Spain

14 posts in this topic

Are they many people in Spain growing Adonida ?

In my personal opinion Adonidia is an ugly weed of a palm. I think that Cunninghams are the most tropical looking palms that grow well in the Mediterranean climate.

Cunninghams are nice too as are most kings. I like the Purple king. The Adonida is said to be a mini Royal palm only growing to around 25 feet tall, like the Spindles and Bottle palms.

Which is ideal for residential planting. Would love to try the Orange Crush palm but very hard to grow. Also the Satakentia palms look good.

Sure! I'm sure they're in a lot of places. I only have seen a couple of them, but i'm sure that in private gardens you'll find a lot. Searching tropical gardens maked by architects they put archontophoenix, dypsis, etc... the point is searching by tropical gardens, or persons that show their gardens. But openly I only i've seen a couple. But I think isn't extended coz it's not very attractive compared to syagrus or archontophoenixes, which we have a lot!

Regards

Edited by pRoeZa*

Best place on spanish islands to grow palms is no doubt the Canary Islands. I have seen a coconut palm in Fuerteventura

Majorca and Minorca just too cold in winter

Best place on spanish islands to grow palms is no doubt the Canary Islands. I have seen a coconut palm in Fuerteventura

Sorry buddy I didn't see your post to answer early. Yep, in fact all the islands have coconuts. I recommend you to visit the island of Tenerife or Gran Canaria, specially the south coast. Hundreds of coconuts are in Gran Canaria! :)

The northernmost island (and also the driest, total desertic climate) grows cocos, and they even arrive to fructify and they look quite good; the annual temp. is 22ºC but the rain amount is less than 100mm... I don't know how they even arrive to fructify. Maybe the locals drain them :laugh2:. The place is Caleta Del Sebo, in La Graciosa island.

2012-10-Playa-palmera-598x448.jpg

4k7ei8.jpg

kf1s9s.jpg

9r3lzp.jpg

Majorca and Minorca just too cold in winter

Yep! Both places get about 16/6 on January... quite cold. Ibiza is slightly warmer, about 17/7.

Wow. Fuerteventua is nice too. Has best beaches in the Canary islands but very windy

Can Adonida or king palms do well on a windy warm island like Fuerteventura ? 

I will tell you that I have never had success growing Adonidia here in Southern Ca.  Nor do I know anyone that has one here alive at the moment.  They germinate easily and I had one in the ground for two years in my best spot but it then declined and died.

Hey, does anyone know what kind of palms are the ones along the beach in Barcelona?? Sorry I'm a palm newbie :D

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, diane_33 said:

Hey, does anyone know what kind of palms are the ones along the beach in Barcelona?? Sorry I'm a palm newbie :D

Bienvenida a Palmtalk!

La mayoria son Washingtonia robusta aunque hay algunas Phoenix dactylifera.

Edited by Sanips

19 hours ago, Sanips said:

Bienvenida a Palmtalk!

La mayoria son Washingtonia robusta aunque hay algunas Phoenix dactylifera.