IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

S. Romanzoffiana Santa Catarina

GarrettP1

Garrett....after our last winter you should think about mules instead. My three mules didn't even flinch....queens are dead, dead, dead.post-97-0-91808500-1411863650_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David,

My mules did great too. But, the Santa Catarina variety appears quite interesting for our climate here in the panhandle.

We won't know unless we try.

Garrett

I got one from Penny's Palms but it appears they are no longer available. Right now it still looks like an ordinary queen seedling but here is to hoping!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 weeks later...

:36_14_15[1]:

Greetings & happy gardening everyone.

Herewith is my Sta.Catarina queen

I ordered from Pennys Palms.

It came with a birth certificate

dated Sept. 2011.

post-7539-0-04178400-1413075229_thumb.jp

post-7539-0-20775400-1413075249_thumb.jp

Edited by SanDimas

In addendum...

I originally planted in a gallon pot when

I received the bare root seedling.

I cut the bottom of the pot when I planted inground

as shown to avoid any root disturbance.

Its a steady grower in mostly shady location.

Cheers

I was able to get some from "Tala" at this email address: talapalms (at) gmail.com Sorry, imagine the @ symbol in the middle. I can't spell it fully out or else he will start receiving robo-spam.

"Tala" won't answer right away, and you will probably have to pick them up from him in Central Florida (I am frequently in that region, so it wasn't a problem for me).

He may not have them any more, but he used to have seedlings. Unfortunately, the guy who mows my lawn did not realize that they were palm trees and killed several of them in places where I did not expect him to mow. As a result, most of my Santa Catarina seedlings did not make it. I did have one that was starting to grow beyond seedling size, but it was planted in a silly place in my yard, so I ended up giving it away to PalmTreeMan who occasionally posts here. He was interested in owning one. If he sees this post, maybe PalmTreeMan will give an update on its growth up in Georgia.

The Santa Catarina Queen Palm is supposed to be quite different from a regular queen palm. I saw Tala's S.C. Queen in person and it has a much fuller crown. Apparently, its cold-hardiness cannot be matched. It is not a regular queen palm. I don't know why the Santa Catarina Queen palm isn't in regular cultivation. The "big box stores" should be selling it instead of regular syagrus romanzoffiana.

Good luck in your search for seedlings.

PC aka Sandy

Thank you for the advice....

what I really meant was Syagrus hybrid with Parajubea or B. yatay.

I already have the mule.

Cheers.

Ritchy

Sorry, I meant to say that I have Patric's phone number, but I can't post it on the web like this. He should still be available at coolhybrids (at) wildblue.net because he corresponded with me from that email address about nine months ago several times. I do recall that there were significant delays in his responses, but he always replied.

At the time, I was planning to buy a butia odorata "mutt" x. parajubaea sunka hybrid from him. It seemed to me that he only had a few left at that point several months ago.

Good luck. PM me if you need his phone number.

• 1 month later...

Theres a European palm dealer that sells the hybrid

Butia eriospatha x Syagrus rom. v. sta catarina already.

Ive never ordered live plants other than seeds from Europe.

I don't know if they come with certifications to pass US customs.

Has anyone ordered from this dealer before?

Ritchy

Ritchy, who is the dealer in Europe? Whenever I have tried to order plants from Europe, the answer I received was basically "no shipping to the US."

Good luck.

does anyone have a mature S. Romanzoffiana Santa Catarina in the ground?? any pictures??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi Josh-O. There should be some photos posted by "Tala" in an old thread on PalmTalk. If you can't find it, Tala's Syagrus Romanzoffiana var. Santa Catarina is pictured here:

http://bizmark.8m.com/photo.html

The only problem is that I think the photo is from 2002, although I could be wrong. Moreover, the palm is significantly obscured by the roof of Tala's house in the phot linked above. When I was at the house of "Tala" about 3 years ago, his Santa Catarina queen palm was much bigger than in the photo, if I recall correctly. It was a nice queen palm with a thick trunk and very full-looking foliage. It didn't have that whispy look that some queen palms have.

"Tala" says that there are other Santa Catarina queen palms planted around Orlando, but I wouldn't know where they are.

Look -- Tala only charges $5.00 for his Santa Catarina queen palm seedlings (below):

http://bizmark.8m.com/custom4.html

(price list)

I know this web site.....so he still sells palms? For some reason didn't think he was still in business. ...wish he would date stamp his sales page.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Well, I don't think his palm selling is really a "business" per se, especially since he is practically giving stuff away. It's the kind of operation that probably never really closes. I got the impression that he was just spreading the love of his rare palms. He was a really friendly guy and very accommodating. (By the way, I see that his email and cell number appear right on his website) He wasn't growing Santa Catarina queen palms "on purpose". They appeared to be accidental offspring, as far as I could tell.

As of about 3 years ago, he was still responding to emails and phone calls. I can't tell you the state of things today, however, and I have no idea if he would be willing to ship anything. I simply dropped by his place to pick the stuff up.

Good luck.