IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis tsaratanensis

Andypalm

YEA...it's extreamly rare to find in cultivation, and extreamly hard to find one to buy! Their found from high elevations too, over 3000'. There are a few people that have a few plants growing, but again, a hard one to find if your looking to buy one.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Andy,

I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone has a photo of this palm, and even more surprised if it is in cultivation. According to POM (published 12 years ago), it's a clustering palm, intermediate in size between D. lutescens and D. baronii, AND at THAT time it hadn't been seen for more than SEVENTY years!!

Around 1996-1998, there was a palm that was sold under the Dypsis tsaratananensis name. I bought a bunch of these, all in 1G pots (i.e. they were small), and planted them. Now, 10 years later it is very obvious that these palms cannot possibly be D. tsaratananensis, for a variety of reasons, and I'll just mention three:

1) these palms are definitely going to be larger than D. baronii

2) they are ALL single-trunked

3) leaflets are all in a very regular fashion (illustration on page 225 in POM shows leaflets in groups of 1-4).

I have been referring to this palm as the "White Dypsis". Here are two of mine.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1173723922_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow, amazing white stems on those!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

those are amazingly cool!slow growers?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Well, I'd certainly put them in the "relatively slow" category! What you see in the picture is ten years worth of growth!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

20 years worth in So Cal....

:(

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi all

This is a great looking palm; although it is rather slow growing it’s worth waiting for!

Bo is on the money this palm was collected by an Australian guy who’s name is Mark Overend around 1996 it maybe even a little earlier than this, and as Bo has mentioned it is not the true species I’m not sure where Mark collected this one from but one would think from the area of this mountain Tsaratananensis.  This is only speculation but it would explain the name Mark gave to this palm.

Recently I was speaking to Bill Beattie and he has found this same palm in a new area, hopefully one day soon Bill might come online and add a little more light to this great looking palm.

Once this palm gets off the ground i.e. starts to make a trunk it is very spectacular I think Jeff Marcus has a few at this stage now and Bill has one not far behind! Well that’s about all I can add here! Hope this helps although this has nothing to do with the true species but might help those who have bought this palm under this name Dypsis Tsaratananensis  :)

Clayton

• Upvote 2

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

We recieved a small, 1 gal. plant under this name back in 1997. It was planted out in April 1998, about 1 ft tall. It has been a very slow grower. It seems to be like the ones in Bo's photos. Whatever they are they are attractive, can't wait until this one gets bigger. Here is ours;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....22

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Clayton,

Thanks a lot for your input and the additional information. As far as the timeline goes, can add this: I bought my first ones on April 28, 1997, from Floribunda. As I said, they were in 1G pots. Based on their size at that time, and their relative slowness, my guess would be that they had been germinated at least a year before, and the seed would have to have been collected some time around late summer of 1995.

And Erik,

yes, that certainly looks like one. One somewhat "annoying" fact with these palms (getting back to their slowness!) is that when they're small, they will open a new frond, but no new spike is in sight. You check a couple of weeks later. STILL no new spike in sight. It can take several months before the new spike is visible. With many palms you have of course two or three new spikes visible at any given time, of various sizes. Once the palm reaches a certain size (probably a few more years for the one in Erik's photo), then it seems to speed up, and there WILL be a new spike visible at any given time.

And here's a photo of the largest one at Floribunda (Jeff Marcus' nursery). I took this photo on Feb. 15, 2007. The only other one of equal size is at the Umauma World Botanical Garden on the Hamakua coast, some 15 miles or so north of Hilo. It's been a couple of years since I saw that one, but at that time it was just beginning to form a trunk.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1173806028_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Here's my "D.Tsaratanensis"... I bought this off a local collector 3 years ago, and since then it has never held more than two leaves at any one time. Information from the internet is very scarce on this one.

If it's not the "real deal", then I don't know enough to know what it really is. I have not seen any others for sale, particularly in this part of Australia.

Bo's comments about waiting a few months for another spear to emerge are certainly valid for this little fellow here :)

Whatever it is, it is S-L-O-W.

post-953-1243065418_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Another shot. Sorry it's slightly out of focus.

Regards

Michael.

post-953-1243065521_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

This one?? And no... it is not mine...

Regards, Ari :)

post-512-1243065674_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This one?? And no... it is not mine...

Regards, Ari :)

post-512-1243065674_thumb.jpg

Ari,

That's it......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I agree Ari found it. But I don't think Michael's is "either" of the "D.Tsaratanensis" out there. Not sure WHAT it is either. :unsure: Also in the name of trying to tie things together, the palm from THIS thread was sold under the "D.Tsaratanensis" name in So Cal for a while also.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=18150

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

They are a pretty palm whatever they are but I want to know what that variegated palm is in Ari's avatar space.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 8 years later...

It's been awhile, just curious are there any 'white stems' that have ever seeded?

Based on Bo's observations that the growth rate slowly accelerates with time. :interesting:

We don't get the opportunity to see high elevation Dypsis in cultivation in Florida. :(

Edited by Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Bit of clarification Moose. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but "White stems" was something else (albofarinosa?).

Dypsis leucomalla was aka sp White and aka Dypsis Tsaratananensis.  Dypsis leucomalla is flowering in cultivation.  But is it really a high elevation palm?     

The other sp that went round at Dypsis Taratananensis (as mentioned by Bill above) is still not named.  Bo had the biggest plants 10 years ago and they are still not trunking in his old garden.  Possibly even slower than leucomalla!   I would bet money that this one if from high elevation based on how it grows for me.

• Upvote 2

Clarification: My curiosity is with the ones that came in late 1990's as Dypsis tsaratananensis that Bo had growing at his first Hawaiian garden. At 10 years in his growing conditions, it is definitely not a fast palm. Some of the real big Dypsis are slow but do accelerate as they get into the later juvenile stage.

Has the 'White Stem' Dypsis examples that Bo planted and seen earlier in this thread ever been identified as a described species? Or does it remain still a mystery?

Did Jeff Marcus get his about the same time?

I don't believe Jeff Searle or Pete Balasky have any survivors here. The are the preeminent Dypsis collectors on this coast, at least whom I know of. 

Sorry, I have more questions then clarification. :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

4 hours ago, Moose said:

Clarification: My curiosity is with the ones that came in late 1990's as Dypsis tsaratananensis that Bo had growing at his first Hawaiian garden. At 10 years in his growing conditions, it is definitely not a fast palm. Some of the real big Dypsis are slow but do accelerate as they get into the later juvenile stage.

Has the 'White Stem' Dypsis examples that Bo planted and seen earlier in this thread ever been identified as a described species? Or does it remain still a mystery?

Did Jeff Marcus get his about the same time?

I don't believe Jeff Searle or Pete Balasky have any survivors here. The are the preeminent Dypsis collectors on this coast, at least whom I know of. 

Sorry, I have more questions then clarification. :(

Jeff has some small one floating around Ron.. I don't think any from the original batch, but some from 3-4 years ago. Came in as Dypsis sp. white or luecomalla. 

the palm in Bo’s last photo in 07 is Dypsis leucomalla, that palm is seeding now and we have a few for sale