IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala Mapu seeds ready to Hharvest

rhapis

I've killed a few of those. Your's is magnificent & makes me want to try again.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

How many seeds are in each fruit?

Just curious.

Never heard of any Licuala that had more than one seed per fruit... Borassus, Pseudophoenix and Attalea yes. Gene, I am not challenging you, just saying it is possible news to me :)

Looks like it's going to be a reasonable harvest this year

OMG...lucky you...I have a hard time here making one survive...not to speak (or dream) of bringing one to fruiting

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

Nice Licuala mapu plants you have and now seeds too! I have several plants in containers and I'd like to try plant one into the ground. Are they touchy about being transplanted from container into the ground? I've read they do not have an extensive root system. How did you amend your soil for planting and what is the lighting (shade, part shade, filtered light, under shade cloth, or?). Since yours seem to be growing so well, I'm all questions about what you've done to be so successful, as I would like to do the same and do so with at least some knowledge of what others are doing to grow this palm so well. Any info greatly appreciated.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Mine have lived their whole lives in pots under 90% shadecloth because I am in the tropics

they would shrivel up if put outside.I did try to plant one in the ground a few years ago in

a shady spot but it couldn't handle the hot breeze and I didn't give it enough water to cope

so I found out after it died.It was fine one day and crisp the next.They don't give you any

warning

Yeah quite a few have told me they grow them in pots. How often and what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I use slow release osmocote and usually throw a handful of dynamic lifter on them

couple of times per year.They are now starting to get trunks and are in 12-14 inch pots

Nice Licuala mapu plants you have and now seeds too! I have several plants in containers and I'd like to try plant one into the ground. Are they touchy about being transplanted from container into the ground? I've read they do not have an extensive root system. How did you amend your soil for planting and what is the lighting (shade, part shade, filtered light, under shade cloth, or?). Since yours seem to be growing so well, I'm all questions about what you've done to be so successful, as I would like to do the same and do so with at least some knowledge of what others are doing to grow this palm so well. Any info greatly appreciated.

Al, I would plant one if I lived in Hawaii--your soil should not be an issue. If you are worried about sensitive roots, plant it in the pot(cut the pot up to let the roots run out when they are ready). As long as your rainfall is not compromised, I think you should be fine.

Thanks for info and suggestions Steve (rhapis) and Andrew. Now to find the best spot to plant one in the ground and prepare a good hole. My soil is very fast draining and I'd add some good mix into it as well.

Nice sunsets!