IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Brahea seeds

Phoenikakias

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I would love to try growing some of those seeds, Which species are they? and do you have an idea of the cost to ship to Canada? I know it sounds ridiculous, But I'll gladly pay the shipping costs,

My address is 1032 sixth Line, Oakville Ontario. L6H -1W5, It would be awesome to have some of those to grow,

Cheers!!

Mike.

I have shipped today all packets with a respectable amount of seeds to those who have declared an interest. Much luck with their germination, though I have a feeling it won't be to difficult, despite that they come from a Brahea!

• Upvote 1

Much luck with their germination, though I have a feeling it won't be to difficult, despite that they come from a Brahea!

Confirmed!

• Upvote 1

Wow!! That's Awesome!! Can't thank you enough!! I'll let you know when thet arrive, and keep you posted on their development !!

Thanks again, Very Much!!

Mike.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your generosity - and as always, let me know when, or if, I can repay the favor! I'll let you know when they arrive and update them as they sprout, etc. Thanks!

Hi again, and Greetings from the soon to be frozen land of Canada, Your seeds arrived today, They look great!! They're already in germination trays, Thank you soooo Much!!I can't wait until they start germinating!! Will keep you posted! Oh.. do you know what species they are?

All the Best!!

Mike.

Edited by White North Mike

Right On !! Good Luck with yours too, we should keep in touch and watch as these progress from both sides of the world, LOL!!

Seeds arrived! forgot I had sent info to you so wondered how I go them. THANK YOU!

Can you tell me what kind of Brahea they came from?

Scott/Omaha NE USA

• 1 month later...

I'm on Mt. Athos, and planning to try some palms from seed this spring, Im starting with Butia eriospatha and odorata, Cycas Revolta, and Jubaea chilensis. Do you think the Brahea can take the climate here, We're landscaping down by the sea as well as up on the bluffs? My Address is Br. Ignatios, St. Paul's Monastery, Agion Oros, 63087, Dafne, Greece.

By the way this is my first post as member of Palmtalk.org and I'm very pleased with the friendly people who respect God's gift of such heavenly, aristocratic trees as the

Palms and Cycads.

• Upvote 2

Seeds arrived! forgot I had sent info to you so wondered how I go them. THANK YOU!

Can you tell me what kind of Brahea they came from?

Scott/Omaha NE USA

Scott, you'll have to tell me how successful you were with germination. I seem to have no luck with anything lately.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I don't have good luck either unless it's a Washingtonia or Bizzy.

Have these seeds in three different germination enclosures all with bottom heat...no germination yet.

Well 2 months now the Brahea's have been in germination trays, I have them at 85 Fahrenheit and nice and humid on moist paper towel in tupperware containers, No sprouts yet, But i expect to see some activity soon, Hope so anyway, They look good though, No mould or fungus, I brushed them when first placing in the trays with a fungicide/Root stimulant, Seems to work very well,

Will update as soon as anything happens, Hope everyone out there in Palm land is well!!

Some success here - I've got several germinations and two sprouts so far. I used commercial potting mix and added some sand, lightly sprayed and bottom heated it at 30 degrees Celsius (85 degrees Fahrenheit). I have read somewhere they like sandy media and not much water, so as for me that really works in practice.

Good luck guys!

post-6915-0-03065000-1419009835_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Awesome!! They look good, Maybe this weekend I'll change to a similar substrate, I'm sure mine won't be too long in coming around!!

Cheers!!

Mike.

Brahea seeds are known not to be the easiest to germinate, but those particular seeds are not among the most difficult Brahea seeds, on the contrary! So keep the faith!

• Upvote 2

No they are not armata! These particular seeds are bigger than the armata ones. Pictures showing seeds from both spss together will make my point quite explicit.

No they are not armata! These particular seeds are bigger than the armata ones. Pictures showing seeds from both spss together will make my point quite explicit.

From left to right Brahea armata and Brahea sp in this topic, in the second picture far right a Brahea edulis

post-6141-0-96684900-1419936787_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-35754600-1419936807_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Any update about germination success having recipients of those seeds? I had left over only three seeds, and two of them germinated quite easily inside a pot in my propagator. Once they sprout growth is fairly fast. Pic taken on 1/12/2015, now both little plants are separated and grow further in my cold frame.

post-6141-0-26784500-1422872720_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

So far None have sprouted,I changed them out from a tray with moistened paper towel, and cover, to a tray with some potting soil mixed with sand as " Newtothat" has had some success using that method, They also have bottom heat and are at 87 degrees F.

Hopefully this will encourage some growth soon, I'm really stoked to see your's sprouting !!

Hmmm, 87 F equals 30 C. Seeds would not mind a bit even higher, say up to 35C, at least I have set up to this threshold the thermostat of my propagator. Say, do you use a cover over the tray? If not you should. I used double cover for those seeds, once the lid of the propagator and additionaly a cup cover over the pot.

• 3 weeks later...

During weed removal around my Brahea, I found some more seemingly fertile seeds. Many have been sent to a member, whom I accidentally missed last time. Some left for another future recipient. I remember one person having sent lately to me a pm asking for such seeds, but he/she has since then deleted original message. So, if he/she is still interested another message must be sent to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what type of seeds these are? They are undoubtedly 20-25% larger than armata and clara seeds.

• Upvote 1

Hey ! Here's a long awaited updated from me!

I just discovered my first sprout today while rummaging through some plants. I found one that has about a 2 or 3 inch spike. Yay! I am sure the others will be close behind.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for germination from all the seeds you sent....our weather is warming up nicely so hopefully not long.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 month later...

First of the Brahea seeds starting to pop! Also some European fans starting to pop. Got each species community planted in seperate black pots

in mostly sunny morning location......weather is upper 80's day with upper 60's at night.

I'm excited!

Could they be Brahea Aculeata seeds?

I think the size should be quite right for it?

• Upvote 1

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

You may have a point here...

First of the Brahea seeds starting to pop! Also some European fans starting to pop. Got each species community planted in seperate black pots

in mostly sunny morning location......weather is upper 80's day with upper 60's at night.

I'm excited!

Which Brahea (small or bigger ones) and Chamaerops (round or oblong ones) seeds started germinating?

Brahea aculeata and C. small skinny trunk with few suckers

You may have a point here...

Is it a game, or you actualy don't know the name of the parents?

• Upvote 1

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

Can ver be sure of the actual identity, when I do not know origin of seeds, especially if those are not collected from wold stands. Even in the wild there are recorded instances of hybridzation among different Brahea spss.

No germination yet for me, but maybe I'm keeping mine to damp? using bottom heat as well.