IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona inermis almost ready to plant out

MattyB

I got this L. inermis, from seed collected by Jack and Lindsey when they went to Australia a while back. It's about ready to plant out. Any suggestions on where to plant it? I'm assuming full blazing sun, but can they take any shade? I thought they were pretty drought tolerant, but can they go bone dry? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post-126-0-51183700-1411250584_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

We have them growing in their thousands here but they're very specific in their requirements, unlike L. humilis whose habitat overlaps inermis but copes with a far greater range of conditions.

Had one go for an OBSCENE price at the auction today.

For a gallon, like $115.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Should do well for you Matty. That is an exclusive palm and rare in home gardens.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We have them growing in their thousands here but they're very specific in their requirements, unlike L. humilis whose habitat overlaps inermis but copes with a far greater range of conditions.

Care to elaborate on those conditions?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I recommend planting it in Palm Desert… bout the only place I have seen these do well in southern California

Well, I have a south facing slope made of rock. It gets very hot. The problem is trying to keep things watered. I have Brahea armata that are struggling because they dry out too fast.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Believe me it does get VERY HOT at Mattys place compared to other areas of San Diego and the rocky slope is the perfect spot !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Does not like to dry out as a seedling, but does indeed like hot (gets up to 120 in Allen Valley's garden in Palm Desert). Likes his soil, too, though can't say I know its make up, but suspect a bit alkaline. Does NOT like it cold, either (will survive 32F, but needs it to warm up immediately after that happens). Seen these grown in protected climates in south Florida, too, so tolerates some humidity. But even there others have difficulty with it. Notoriously difficult palm everywhere, save where it occurs naturally. Your yard might be one of the few less inland climates it might survive. Extremely slow growing, too.

I almost lost it by letting it dry out in the pot. Maybe I'll wait until next summer and plant it out.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Fascinating palm. Keep us posted.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

HI

If you want to see the l.inermis for many years, I recommend 10b-half shade,the first year and while it is small :) .

sm

I have seen very few of these growing here in Queensland gardens. I hope if does well for you Matty :)

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

A good friend and Neighbor has one of these that is male with about ten feet of wood. This is the inermis at Fairchild--treat it right and you may have this, in 20 plus years, Matty.

In case you are wondering which palm to look at, it's the ugly and scrawny little wispy thing in front of all the amazing eye candy! :winkie:

post-5491-0-46089400-1411747934_thumb.jp