• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

If you could grow one palm that can't survive where you live, what it would it be?

jeevesjank

Lepidorrhachis mooreana

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Almost said Coconut, but after thinking about it, ROYAL. Jubaea and Caryota did come to mind.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Lepidorrhachis mooreana

Ha ha, for me it would be a coconut! And Lepidorrhachis mooreana thrives here, I grow two of them, whereas coconuts thrive for you and I have to settle for a parajubaea.

Royal

David, this last crazy winter aside, I am seeing a Royal as a real possibility for you, at least for a good 10-15 year run, maybe longer. I'd put a small one in the ground every year, if I were you and just hope for that long string of warm ones.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Lodoicea Maldivica

Cyrtostachys renda

Too many too list, but as of right now it'd definitely be Copernicia Baileyana.

Areca macrocalyx

Have all the above but the macro calyx in the ground...killed too many VannaWhite & LemurO but I never learn...ill keep trying

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I can think of 5 or 10 different species I wish I could grow, but it's not that I can't grow them--prolly could, just can't find them! There are too many palms I can grow to worry about stuff I can't--that's why travel has appeal, no?

Definitely a Lemurophoenix halleuxii

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Doesn't growing them inside count? Sailorbold, I would think a Windmill palm would be easy where your at??

Trachycarpus won't tolerate his summer dry heat. It's why you won't see them growing well, if at all, in Palm Springs either.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This is easy...Cocos and lipstick palms.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hey, Jim you cheated, to posted two. :) OK, I'll add my second nomination: copernicia hospita.

Well, you will certainly be able to give those a try!

I guess you could grow a lipstick palm in Vero beach if you went balls out in taking care of it. Here is one in Mckee Gardens.

Not my pic though

post-10561-0-22075900-1411147773_thumb.j

That would be the reason.. They are thought of as marginal and the thinking is they need to be sited in a southern exposure 'microclimate'. This will destroy them and retard their growth. The sun is just too much. North and eastern would be best even with summer sun.. they should be shaded at all other times.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Royal

David, this last crazy winter aside, I am seeing a Royal as a real possibility for you, at least for a good 10-15 year run, maybe longer. I'd put a small one in the ground every year, if I were you and just hope for that long string of warm ones.

Keith....the thought has crossed my mind....but after having to dig out the two big HEAVY queens this year, the mechanical removal of large palms issue became front and center.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Maybe Pseudophoenix vinifera.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Royal

Keith....the thought has crossed my mind....but after having to dig out the two big HEAVY queens this year, the mechanical removal of large palms issue became front and center.

Well, there is that. I lost that really nice W. filibusta this year, but instead of taking it out I am cutting it off around the 8 foot level and just gonna have a friend carve me a Tiki in place. Gonna name him Dead F. Duck

Royal

Well, there is that. I lost that really nice W. filibusta this year, but instead of taking it out I am cutting it off around the 8 foot level and just gonna have a friend carve me a Tiki in place. Gonna name him Dead F. Duck

i've thought about doing something similar if it ever comes time for me to remove some plants .... get a tiki carved and then throw a bromeliad ontop. this came to mind because there's a house i pass by everyday that had a few queens planted along a wall and he cut them off with stumps just sitting there visable from the street. i have no clue what this guy's planning on doing with his trunks but they haven't been touched in a year.