• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Unlikely source for new Tropicals destined for Puerto Rico

Cindy Adair

The Raleigh NC Farmer's market often has surprisingly nice tropical plants. It's about 4 hours from my house but with the proximity of two nice botanical gardens and an orchid nursery, always worth the trip.

So here are my recent purchases, all destined for Puerto Rico but now temporarily into kitchen en route to my greenhouse.

All the orchids will be attached to trees and I hope to get the AE AE variegated banana colonizing there among the other Musas.

Anybody else have any new Tropicals to show?

post-4111-0-25499900-1411080255_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-66128300-1411080281_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-69358900-1411080303_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-85450100-1411080317_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Nice finds Cindy, The Variegated Banana looks awesome. Growing a Taro cultivar with similar color patterns. Have also found some cool stuff via Farmer's markets in the past.

As for new additions.. added a 3gal Bulnesia arborea, and what turned out to be Guaiacum sanctum, instead of a specimen of G. officinale id originally ordered.. to the collection. After finding a nursery that had some for sale, Guaiacum o. should arrive via UPS any day now. All three of these have been high on this years acquisition list.

Look forward to seeing all the newbies turned loose on your property on the island.

-Nathan-