IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My garden Trsteno( Dubrovnik )

Cikas

So I'am a plant lover almost whole my life. Maybe because here where I live we have oldest Arboretum in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trsteno_Arboretum

That was my favorite place to go during my childhood. And I always wanted to have something like that in my garden.

My love for the plants is that huge that I'am studying biology in college. So I will be professional biologist in the near future ( if everything goes well ).

I have several gardens and a lot of lands. But most of it is intended for olives, citrus species and various fruit trees.

But my garden above my new house is garden I will use for exotic plants, wich main purpose is just to look nice.

So more of my garden that I will observed in this topic. First, it is not a huge garden, but it is very protected.

This garden is still ( very early ) work in progress, there is many things that still needs to be made here. It is very new. Only fraction of the plants is planted. It is situated between the ruins of several hundred years old stone house. Near these ruins there is another several hundred years old stone house which is largely preserved.

My goal is to restore that old stone house, but keep that authentic old mediterranean look. And to create a lush garden on the site of the ruins of that other stone house ( located near that other largely preserved one ).

The old thick stone walls of that ruined house are preserved. So they will act as walls of my new garden. So my garden is protected by a thick stone walls.

My goal is to preserve that ''mediterranean stone ruins'' look of the garden ( so everything that is new is built with stone in the style of the ruins to make it look old, like it was there for hundreds of years ) and mix that with ''tropical(ish) paradise'' look.

My biggest obstacle is that many plants that I want, can not be bought here. Or are not available or are terribly expensive.

So most of my plants are ordered from Germany, Spain, England and Italy ( they are 3 time cheaper there, even with postage cost included ).

So I will start. :)

Edited by Cikas

First my climate.

Not complitly accurate, but more accurate than any chartz I could find.

Screen_Shot002.png

All official actual temperatures for every day in the year for last 10 years can be find here.

http://www.tutiempo.net/clima/DUBROVNIK_GORICA/01-2014/144720.htm

Also at this link you can see actual temperatures right now.

http://vrijeme.hr/Dubrovnik.html

I will start with Howea. I have this palm for 8-9 years. It was in the pot for years outside. But position was shady with some afternoon sun.

It is planted in ground two months ago.

Just after planting.

rsz_p7150037.jpg

rsz_p7150038.jpg

rsz_p7150039.jpg

rsz_p7150007.jpg

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

I am excited to hear and see more. You have a special opportunity to create a very unique garden.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks guys.

Around August 28.

It started to open a new leaf. That was a record for her ( in pot there was a times when she opened only one leaf in the whole year ), because she already opened one leaf before that in late June.

She never was that fast. So it seems that she likes to be planted in ground.

rsz_p8270061.jpg

rsz_p8270062.jpg

It is planted in full hot all day mediterranean sun. So it shows some leaf burning. The new leaf is undamaged. Most of the damage occurred in the first two weeks.

rsz_p9160115.jpg

Coming along! I'd be moving that concrete cactus planter unless it is bolted down. The critters around here would have that on top of the Howea in no time.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Looking great!!! :) You will see that Howea forsteriana in the ground can grow 5 leafs a year easily, if not more. I haven't counted the number of leafs per year lately on them,they have big crowns and are not as easy to keep trunk as when younger :)

A suggestion for the concrete planters would be to plant them with big growing,solitary bromeliads,they wold look awesome and match the tropical look of everything else. For example, Alcantarea imperialis would be a great choice as would Wittrockia gigantea, Neoregelia joannis, N. concentrica and many more. But my choice for most impressive and suited to full sun and frost, would be the Alcantarea.

Looking forward to seeing more plants and photos from your garden,it already looks good! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Looking great!!! :) You will see that Howea forsteriana in the ground can grow 5 leafs a year easily, if not more. I haven't counted the number of leafs per year lately on them,they have big crowns and are not as easy to keep trunk as when younger :)

A suggestion for the concrete planters would be to plant them with big growing,solitary bromeliads,they wold look awesome and match the tropical look of everything else. For example, Alcantarea imperialis would be a great choice as would Wittrockia gigantea, Neoregelia joannis, N. concentrica and many more. But my choice for most impressive and suited to full sun and frost, would be the Alcantarea.

Looking forward to seeing more plants and photos from your garden,it already looks good! :)

I like bromeliads. My plan was to add them as understory plants in garden at some point. I'am scared right now that sun will be to much for them. Because I do not have any canopy yet.

I have bromeliads around Bismarckia. They are growing great, but they show sun burning. I hope that Bismarckia will give them some shade in the future.

Not all bromeliads are sun(or frost) hardy but many are sun hardy with proper acclimation. A. imperialis and N. concentrica won't ever burn if acclimated to sun. Nor should Wittrockia and N. joannis.

Which species do you have around your Bismarckia? From what i can make out,they probably are a Bilbergia sp. and should acclimate to your sun and stop burning. But if its full,all day sun,they may look somewhat stressed.

Not all bromeliads are sun(or frost) hardy but many are sun hardy with proper acclimation. A. imperialis and N. concentrica won't ever burn if acclimated to sun. Nor should Wittrockia and N. joannis.

Which species do you have around your Bismarckia? From what i can make out,they probably are a Bilbergia sp. and should acclimate to your sun and stop burning. But if its full,all day sun,they may look somewhat stressed.

It is Bilbergia, but I do not know exact species. Maybe nutans.

I have some of them in shade and they are darker green. These in full sun are more yellow. But they still grow great. I just hope that they will stop burning.

rsz_p7240048.jpg

rsz_p7240049.jpg

Jurica,

Great looking plants and I love the stonewall as a dramatic backdrop! :) And as Kostas already mentioned, there are a number of bromeliads that should do very well in sun, even in your location. I'm sure a number of members who are in similar climates can help you out! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks bgl. I will look more into sun hardy bromeliads. :greenthumb:

And now my Bismarckia. It came at my home on April 23. from Spain. And it looked like this.

jgry.jpg

w807.jpg

tukt.jpg

thvh.jpg

3lm4.jpg

I am wondering if that Bismarkia has been grown in shade so far? The petioles look very elongated. Will it be in a sunny spot going forward?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I am wondering if that Bismarkia has been grown in shade so far? The petioles look very elongated. Will it be in a sunny spot going forward?

It is in full all day sun right now. In Spain I think it was greenhouse grown in some shady condition. It looked like it was.

It was planted in ground on May 13.

Just after planting in ground. :)

98r2.jpg

8pxv.jpg

jton.jpg

52i1c.jpg

The Bilbergia could be nutans or X windii. The open flowers show that better and the final size.

Nice work with the Bismarckia! It will make a stunning palm to sit under!(taking care there is no ready to fall leaf on that side) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bismarkia May 25.

e1oq.jpg

First spear is growing since palm is planted in ground June 4.

P6030640.jpg

P6030641.jpg

Spear is opening June 29.

P6260649.jpg

August 26.

Yet another spear is opening.

rsz_p8260062.jpg

August 27.

That was fast.....

rsz_p8270066.jpg

September 2.

Another new leaf is opened.

rsz_p9020084.jpg

rsz_1p9020084.jpg

rsz_p9020084_2.jpg

Edited by Cikas

September 17.

Bismarckia is now more silver ( red coloration is disappeared ).

Also it is noticeable more ticker in trunk/stem.

rsz_p9160111.jpg

rsz_p9160114.jpg

rsz_p9160124.jpg

September 18.

New spear.

rsz_p9180140.jpg

rsz_p9180141.jpg

rsz_p9180143.jpg

September 23.

leaf opening...

rsz_p9230140.jpg

rsz_p9230143.jpg

September 25.

rsz_p9250145.jpg

October 1.

rsz_pa010140.jpg

rsz_pa010141.jpg

rsz_pa010142.jpg

Edited by Cikas

Yes, you will soon quit counting the number of spears....in the ground they are FAST! The color is looking better and better as well.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

When that gets some size, it's going to be a real stunner. All the stone in the garden -- wow, looks fabulous. I wish you every success with your new palms.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

July 23.

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana..

I ordered 2 Archontophoenix cunninghamiana from Spain. But after I received plants, immediately noticed that one of the palm trees is not cunninghamiana but in fact alexandrae.

I contacted seller. But he was very rude. He tried to convince me that both palms are cunninghamiana.

Even though I sent him a photos and pointed out the obvious differences that distinguish species....

Both palms

rsz_p7230040.jpg

One is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana..

rsz_p7230048.jpg

But other is alexandrae ( silver underneath the leaf )

rsz_p7230046.jpg

Yes, you will soon quit counting the number of spears....in the ground they are FAST! The color is looking better and better as well.

When that gets some size, it's going to be a real stunner. All the stone in the garden -- wow, looks fabulous. I wish you every success with your new palms.

Thanks. I hope that will continue to grow well. :greenthumb:

Garden is still in early stage. I still have to place the tiles, outdoor lighting ect.. And plant alot of palms, of course. :D

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is planted in the ground the same day.

rsz_p7240040.jpg

rsz_p7240041.jpg

rsz_p7240042.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae is also planted in ground. Seller did not want to replace the plant ( or give me a refund for that matter ). So I stuck with this palm.

rsz_p7240043.jpg

rsz_p7240044.jpg

rsz_p7240045.jpg

Believe me, you will love the A. alexandrae and hate the cunninghamiana. In Peloponese, cunninghamiana are the dead ones while alexandrae thrives. Can't take the heat,sun and wind while alexandrae loves it.

I am not certain your cunninghamiana is cunninghamiana either. Do you see any ramenta on the underside? Post some clear close ups of the very newest leaf's underside.

Believe me, you will love the A. alexandrae and hate the cunninghamiana. In Peloponese, cunninghamiana are the dead ones while alexandrae thrives. Can't take the heat,sun and wind while alexandrae loves it.

I am not certain your cunninghamiana is cunninghamiana either. Do you see any ramenta on the underside? Post some clear close ups of the very newest leaf's underside.

That one has ramenta.

rsz_p9020080.jpg

I actually like the look of cunninghamiana more. Lighter green color of the plant and crownshaft, purple inflorescence ( although mine is still far away from blooming ). Also cunninghamiana is more cold tolerant and that is a plus. :)

I can't see any ramenta in the photo but that doesn't mean it doesn't have of course. Need better focus to be sure. Ramenta are blackish,long,thick hair like formations that hang from the leaflet midribs. Not the scales covering the leaf rachis/crownshaft.

The stone work is spectacular and your plantings look great against that backdrop. Your garden is coming along nicely.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Beautiful palms and landscaping! Hope i can create a similar (indoor of course) garden here in Oslo, Norway one time.

I'm going to share your pictures with Darko & the rest of your countrymen at South Shores Meat Shop -

post-56-0-75740500-1412720487_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-68615000-1412720514_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-45619000-1412720536_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-40062100-1412720556_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-99388400-1412720613_thumb.jpg

maybe he'll even throw in a few extra ćevapčići...

I get by with a little help from my fronds

post-1279-0-19435600-1412725021_thumb.jppost-1279-0-05551100-1412725051_thumb.jp

2 photos of BUTIA capitata/odorata that I took during a trip to your beautiful country, some years ago. The adult one is in Kotor, Montenegro.

Lots of luck and good wishes for your garden in Trsteno!!!!!!

I also visited your arboretum and it is very interesting.

Butia capitata is native to my country, where we have similar climate to yours.

E. Beare

attachicon.gifbutia.JPGattachicon.gifbutia (2).JPG

2 photos of BUTIA capitata/odorata that I took during a trip to your beautiful country, some years ago. The adult one is in Kotor, Montenegro.

Hi Elena,

thanks for sharing these pics. I can confirm that Butia in left pic is frozen in time and space. Same for years, pot limitations. I hope they will set it free once. There are few mature Dactyliferas it that port too.

attachicon.gifbutia.JPGattachicon.gifbutia (2).JPG

There are some nice Butia odorata ( capitata ) near Villa Sheherezade in Dubrovnik. I have two small ones. They are great palms, but still quite rare here in Dubrovnik unfortunately.

The most common palms here are Phoenix canariensis ( they are everywere ), dactylifera, Chamaerops humilis ( we have wild population on Island Lokrum ), Washingtonia robusta, filifera, Trachycarpus fortunei ect..

Villa_Sheherezade.jpg

SAM_3291.jpg

SAM_3295.jpg

Edited by Cikas

I'm going to share your pictures with Darko & the rest of your countrymen at South Shores Meat Shop -

maybe he'll even throw in a few extra ćevapčići...

Are you sure that he is from Croatia?

Ćevapčići are specialty of bosnian cuisine.

Also these photos are from very old serbian movies and serbian, bosnian music cover albums ( from that period 30+ years ago ), not croatian. :)