IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drymophleous sp.

Kennybenjamin

Hi all,

One of my more recent palm fascinations has been with the Drymohpleous genus. This is partly because my garden is choka block with palms but I'm always looking to squeeze a few more in and smaller more slender palms are appealing to me. Drymorphleous not only seem to fit into that category but they also have a very interesting leaf structure and I love the look of the crownshaft, particularly on the younger plants!!

Today I planted 2 x D. Hentyii as seen below....

post-6412-0-55156500-1410765632_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-33780300-1410765897_thumb.jp

I also have this sp. which I am not sure of the name. This one has gone through our recent winter (very low min temps for this part of the world) ok.

post-6412-0-31893900-1410766017_thumb.jp

And this D. Oliviformis will be the next one in the ground!!

post-6412-0-11526500-1410766264_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-54491100-1410766328_thumb.jp

I would be keen to hear of any other species anyone might be able to suggest and see some more pics of Drymophleous!! These young crownshaft a remind me very much of watermelon chambeyronia's!!

Wonderful genus and not discussed much. The first time I saw Drymophleous was at a garden tour north of Hilo, it was a small grouping and with their thin trunks and stilt roots were quite unique.

I've got a group of six that I acquired as D. subdisticus and honestly, I think they're another species. Not nearly as robust and tall as described, but really beautiful. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Im with you Ben, I've taken to the Drymohpleous genus, small, compact, great colours and yes the leaves are a nice shape, too late for me to post a pic of my D. Oliviformis, Ill take a few tomorrow, but as most have probably seen in our Flecker thread, here is a D.bifidus

post-7381-0-47356000-1410769731_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-02212900-1410769753_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-54072800-1410769771_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-61397500-1410769794_thumb.jp

Wonderful genus and not discussed much. The first time I saw Drymophleous was at a garden tour north of Hilo, it was a small grouping and with their thin trunks and stilt roots were quite unique.

I've got a group of six that I acquired as D. subdisticus and honestly, I think they're another species. Not nearly as robust and tall as described, but really beautiful. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow.

Tim

Good on you Tim, I very much look forward to seeing some of your drymophleous... I'm sure they are beautiful!!

Kenny, just so you know, D. hentyii is soon to be a Ponapea(was a Ptychosperma).

Tim, sounds like those palms are not subdisticus--this palm has also moved; to Veitchia.

I love all of these palms mentioned, and they grow well for me too. Thanks!

Look at you Andrew, keeping up with your reference material. Somebody's got to it right?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ben,

I guess it's been awhile since I've really taken a good look at these palms. Hmmm, they've gotten bigger and they could be D. subdisticus or Vetchia.

The bases have gotten pretty fat and more adventitious roots than stilt. Beautiful trunks and a vibrant green color leaf.

Getting hard to get a good photo, need to clean out some of the overgrowth around them. These are about 5 years old from one gallons.

There is a bottled water at the base of one of the palms for scale.

Tim

post-0-0-43603300-1410830981_thumb.jpg post-0-0-63593900-1410830984_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-00990200-1410830987_thumb.jpg post-0-0-59953000-1410830990_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-00906500-1410830994_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

tried to get a shot of the cool flecks on the crown shaft of the D.oliviformis I got last week. bit out of focus but you get the idea :)

20140916_171623.jpg

Thanks Tim, nice palms!! Great leaf structure in those and I can see that they are closely aligned to Veitchia. I have never thought to think that drymophleous and Veitchia might be similar but it appears they are.

Andrew, thanks for your input! I was aware that the hentyii was formally Ptychosperma but I was not aware of the possible upcoming change to Ponapea, I will have to look into those as well maybe?

Thanks Paul and Harry for all pics added, more pics and species suggestions very very welcome!!

Harry, they are hard to photograph I know, my pics are no better than yours!

Thanks Tim, nice palms!! Great leaf structure in those and I can see that they are closely aligned to Veitchia. I have never thought to think that drymophleous and Veitchia might be similar but it appears they are.

Andrew, thanks for your input! I was aware that the hentyii was formally Ptychosperma but I was not aware of the possible upcoming change to Ponapea, I will have to look into those as well maybe?

Thanks Paul and Harry for all pics added, more pics and species suggestions very very welcome!!

Harry, they are hard to photograph I know, my pics are no better than yours!

Kenny, hentyii is already in Ponapea, just has not been advertised heavily--check out Pamweb.org

Tim, those may very well be subdisticus. The crown looks to be a bit smaller due to it trying to boost up through the canopy, but when they are fully grown, the crown should be quite large for the trunk and the leaflets tend to overlap as they are pretty wide. They look great!

Here are a couple of shots of the first Drymophloeus I ever got. It is now in full sun and actually doing very well! I am not really concerned with the exact species because Drymophloeus is soon to be an erroneous genus--once taxonomical revisions are complete, I will hunt down the true names. I also have two other species and will get shots of them in time...

post-5491-0-15180500-1410878738_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-41221000-1410878823_thumb.jp

Thanks again Andrew, great looking palm you have there!

When started this thread I had a thought / feeling that someone might post some info along the lines of what your saying, siphon entail kept popping into my head and of coarse it doesn't exists anymore either. I have been known to get the 2 names ( drymophleous and siphokentia ) mixed up in the past........ Now I can say that I get them confused because they are both dubious names?

And this little guy I got for my dad's birthday, a year or so back. It's a sp. Irian Jaya but what is cool is it's variegated! Although with the sun it gets, it tends to eventually burn out. It will eventually be in complete shade--the palms around it will tower over it, before long.

post-5491-0-71180100-1411128821_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-16201800-1411128986_thumb.jp

Please keep us posted Andrew...sometimes I miss the names of updated species.

Here's a D. beguinii (litigiosus). A graceful delicate palm and in my garden, it's in pretty much full shade. The pictures above are wonderful.

Peter

post-2997-0-62676800-1411141097_thumb.jp

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Please keep us posted Andrew...sometimes I miss the names of updated species.

Here's a D. beguinii (litigiosus). A graceful delicate palm and in my garden, it's in pretty much full shade. The pictures above are wonderful.

Peter

Looks like the same species as in post #15

Yes, it looks like it.

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude