IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden Late Summer into Fall.

Palm crazy

Hello I live in z8a/z5 sunset in Olympia Wa and here are some pics of my garden this time of year and watch how the garden changes in the next few weeks. Will try and post new photo every week till the rainy season starts. Hope you all enjoy them and feel free to ask any question or not. Thanks and lets enjoy the journey together.

Dyspsis baronii

DSC00062_zps6547f73f.jpg

Fatsia japonica camouflage

DSC00059_zps8eb5e982.jpg

DSC00057_zpsdb4fe3da.jpg

Hardy Schefflera delavayi

DSC00046_zps1d0a24f4.jpg

Fatsia japonica spider’s web and mahonia.

DSC00043_zpsbee34fa1.jpg

Bird of Paradise, these indoor out plant needs 4-6 hours of full sun before they will bloom. Will remember that next year.

DSC00032_zps4044cd39.jpg

DSC00027_zps3369d460.jpg

Fatsia japonica variegated.

DSC00015_zps36027998.jpg

Thank you, :)

That's a very poetic and exotic garden, very interesting species.

which Hedychium is this?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Yes a wonderful garden indeed!

Fuchsias, oh, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, one, two . . . thousand one, thousand two . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

so beautiful , inspirational and peaceful, thank you for sharing!

Hey thanks Mike, In this cool summer climate its all about using the right plants to give that illusion that it someplace warmer.

Yes a wonderful garden indeed!

Fuchsias, oh, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways, one, two . . . thousand one, thousand two . . . .

Dave I’m just getting started. Since you noticed the fuchsia maybe you’ll enjoy a few more, come next weeks. I think the low last night was 40F… to early for those cool temps. Very Warm and Sunny this weekend… Cheers!

Awesome and great job. Thank you for sharing! I love seeing progress pics and what other people are doing to transform their yards into paradise.

Which variety of Echeveria is that? I really like it.

I like the pond feature and all your plant choices. There would be no possible way for that to be accomplished here in NM.. very nice!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Awesome and great job. Thank you for sharing! I love seeing progress pics and what other people are doing to transform their yards into paradise.

Which variety of Echeveria is that? I really like it.

I like the pond feature and all your plant choices. There would be no possible way for that to be accomplished here in NM.. very nice!

Thanks SailorBold nice to see what other gardeners are growing. I am envious of your winter sunshine and early warm ups.

I live inside the city and the water feature helps block the city noise. Also attracts lots of birds and wildlife.

Echeveria is Echeveria rosea Tag actually says hardy to z8, not my z8 thats for sure…LOL! Produces lots of blooms all summer long.

I tried a pond.. actually still have it- and all of the pumps.. sterilizers etc.. I broke it down cleaned everything up and decided that it needs to be put on the north side of the house under a patio cover... which I haven't done yet. I thought about adding an ionizer tho I am calculating the risk of its use. The algae blooms were impossible. Too mucky here in full sun.

I dig that Echeveria rosea... The color is fantastic. I must have one.

Your tree fern is neat- and the Fuchsias too. They are strange plants in these parts lol.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

RE: Sailorbold.....I have 3 ponds..and one stream in my yard that I built. UV light as part of your filtration is the way to go. UV doesn't help with string algae (I simply buy a inexpensive chemical from my local Menards and add to the water) UV light is perfect for suspended algae.

I am curious about how that Brahea will fare in Western Washington also. How long have you had it and have you had any success with those here long-term? I have a local grower in Tacoma who sells them about the same size as yours and thought about getting one this past summer. Will probably wait till next year, but am also running out of room for palms at my place.

Our family owns a place on the Sound (Hammersley Inlet in Shelton) and am thinking about planting some stuff out there as well. I've notice some relatively mature Wa. Filibusta and Med. Fan Palms out there in people's yards, so I think it's slightly warmer in winter than where I live in Puyallup. That cycad hybrid looks great too. Where did you procure that?

Thanks guys for the nice comments and question.

The brahea armata was planted this year, came from Lowes. Only a 5 gallon but has a nice fat trunk for its size.

The last one I grew only lived 8 years but was three times bigger. 15F is it limit here in wet winter areas. The big one died after a big dry cold spell, with three nights at 12F (five days below freezing) was just to much for it. But lived through several 15F winters (as long as it was covered with blanket.)

This new one is growing in-between two tall trachy's so it should be more dryer in winter. Grow rate is slow only three leaves a year. Mine only gets about 5 hours of full sun.

Willials there are some nice micro climates in Olympia and Shelton if you live on the water and especially if the garden is south facing really gets lots of sun and heat.

I turned down going to the Ocean today just to nice out, so I may take more photos today.

Thanks for looking Sashaeffer, Willials.

Edited by Palm crazy

A few pics from this gorgeous day and some much need heat, low 80’s. Warmer tomorrow. Yes!

Fuchsia 'Walz Bella’

DSC00085_zps1d657c79.jpg

Fuchsia ’San Leandro’

DSC00081_zps12f8445f.jpg

Fuchsia ’Scarlet Ribbons’

DSC00061_zps3bce949c.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps

DSC00051_zps776044f0.jpg

DSC00040_zpsccbf6039.jpg

DSC00035_zpsbd537b11.jpg

Dicksonia antarctica

DSC00030_zps5e5c913a.jpg

The leaves are 8’ long, trunk is extra wide, and they don’t come that way from Cali, no to get one like this you have to go to Tasmania and cut one down, reroot and enjoy.

DSC00027_zpsc14ea239.jpg

Cherry red in a sea of green, these cordyline cherry sensation will look really cool next year.

DSC00021_zps8639ce00.jpg

Butia x Jubaea F2, and some chamaedorea radicalis trunking growing among those cherry sensation….oh my!

DSC00023_zps516ffb53.jpg

Cordyline red star is one of the hardiest out there and have grown back very nicely after a low of 16F kill them back last winter. The green leafy plants are volunteer foxgloves.

DSC00012_zpsf9647966.jpg

Volunteer fern show up three years ago. I like it.

DSC00006_zpsd0242b7e.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to see how your Butyagrus is thriving in the next few years....

Southwest

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to see how your Butyagrus is thriving in the next few years....

Hey thanks Robbin, the X Butyagrus has actually been in the ground for 5 years, this will be it first winter without plastic cover over it.

Looks like summer is almost over here, that is the heat is almost over…two more nice days and then back to normal temps and maybe a little rain, we need some.

90F/32C normal this time of year is only 75F. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0318

Will post some more pictures this afternoon.

Small trachycarpus princeps

DSC00057_zps2d53a3e8.jpg

Fuchsia specious is a very intereting fuchsia. It is a fall bloomer and grows back every year to 5’x5’. Blooms from the bottom up, but a little tender. 30F will kill it back to the ground but yet its the first one to grow back. Big exotic leaves too.

DSC00054_zps379b4a2e.jpg

This BxJF2 has been in the ground since it was a strap leaf. Was protected in winter with pop up greenhouse. Now it on its own.

DSC00005_zps6321ff22.jpg

Can’t except not to see some fuchsia in the PNW.

DSC00044_zps3718a6e1.jpg

Backyard.

DSC00030_zpsa5fe26bb.jpg

Back patio area.

DSC00040_zps601cec0d.jpg

If your wonder about the colorful post…its an art project I am working on…got to put my artist talents some where.

DSC00036_zps81d888a7.jpg

I got the idea of stripes from looking at this crazy geometric rug on line.. I just used the same color palette to get the color pattern. But,

Its also to give the climbing Fuchsia some support. And when it dies back again we’ll have this great looking painted post to look at.

DSC00130_zpsd3587fad.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Volunteer Kangaroo apple. Blooming in deep shade.

DSC00058_zpse07f0ea4.jpg

DSC00015_zps9a20d46b.jpg

DSC00019_zps4c46b6e2.jpg

Trachelospermum asiaticum ‘Ogon Nishiki’ Do I need to say more… DSC00020_zpsc08e6636.jpg

Thats all for now.

DSC00048_zps18b85faf.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis in a blue container. Very easy grower.

DSC00035_zps8e63d0ee.jpg

DSC00029_zpse1b306a9.jpg

Very sunny weekend again so will post more pics this evening.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you for posting. I really enjoy seeing updates of your garden. I've always been a big fan of your place.

Thanks Hammer, glad you’re enjoying them. Going for the wet look up here. This may be our last 80F degree weekend or even for the year. But still lots of sunshine.

This green trunk butia had some spear pull this spring and will need another year to recover.

DSC00035_zps6b74049e.jpg

Another Schefflera.

DSC00039_zps4828ebb2.jpg

Hot one today. Warmer tomorrow. Before cooling down.

DSC00050_zpsb2cd680e.jpg

DSC00003_zpsa714f59d.jpg