IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 9a Fruit List

_Keith

When it comes to fruit, it seems like Zone 9a is a cursed zone. Not enough chill hours for most temperate fruit, but we have that handfull of cold wet winter days that kill tropical fruits like Papaya and Mango. Has anyone ever run across a list or have ideas on some more unique things to try. I have most all of the locally known to survive things, but would love to try some new ones.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Exactly, loquat are awesome! Some others are mandarin, Pouteria lucuma(supposedly), Feijoa, bananas(not reliable producers in 9a), Figs(obviously,the best fruit this zone grows in my opinion but a deciduous tree unfortunately), maybe one of the tropical cherry species as well. Many other species can be grown(for example Jujube) but are mostly deciduous and thus for me,not worth it.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Keith--

I think you must know that what people call Loquat is what you know as "Japanese Plum" in Louisiana. There are many excellent bananas you can cultivate, and I can recommend two very successful and prolific cultivars I get regular fruit from (except of course after 2010 & 2014-style winters) up in the Natchez garden: 'Belle' and 'Dwarf Namwah,' plus, of course, the old standby, 'Orinoco.' You might go over to Stokes and ask them what they've had success with in the river parishes. Also if you go up to Laura Plantation you might be able to get them to give you a pup of that '1781' (I think that's the year/name) cultivar, which is the oldest known banana in Louisiana with known provenance going back to the 1700s. As I remember Stokes also used to sell that one...not sure how the fruit tastes.

Try to find high-quality cultivars of the Pawpaw, which is native to the U.S. and is the only freeze-tolerant annona-family member. they are beautiful tropical-looking trees and look very similar to cacao plants and they like slightly shady forest situations. The only problem is that the squirrels may beat you to the fruit. When I go up to Natchez in spring I see the flowers and the fruit starting and then by late summer they have been taken by the squirrels. So have not yet tasted mine! I got them from Banting's in Bridge City. There is a research group (I think at University of Kentucky?) selecting improved cultivars but they sell out quickly and I think have a two-year waiting list. Otherwise you can just ask around for better-tasting forms, as they are extremely variable in quality, from terrible to delicious, by most accounts.

Pineapple is easy, just plant on a mound in iron-rich soil in full sun. Before a frost/freeze, dump a pile of pine-straw (or some other insulator) on top of the crown and then uncover when it warms. You can definitely do Feijoa (not just fruit but the fleshy flower-petals are deliciously sweet)...and you will need at least two to tango, BTW. You might be able to get Dragon Fruit to survive and fruit for you with a little protection. I'm sure you can do passion fruit and maybe also true guava (hardiest forms) with dieback each year, though you might lose these outright in low 20s or below. Strawberry guava would most likely be easy for you in a protected spot. Those are beautiful small trees.

Also try the hardiest Mexicola-type avocados (Clegg's in BR sometimes has some, probably also at Banting's) that are proven into the upper teens. White sapote will take low 20s when mature so that might be a worthwhile thing to try. Banting's has carried this in the past. I'm sure you have lots of figs, and also no doubt have plenty of citrus already, as virtually all of the citrus will do fine where you are as long as you mound earth above the graft-line going into a freak deep freeze that might come along. Also red mulberry (at least those I've tried here in south Florida) are absolutely delicious fruit. These are also native so if you have the room it would I think be worth planting.

I think you can also get the dwarf papaya (it was available a few years ago at garden centers in the south) to fruit in a season, perhaps even the large forms...but I'm not positive on that one. I've certainly seen big papaya hanging off large dooryard trees in Kenner.

I think that gives you lots of possibilities!

• Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I do have Loquat, which do well until stressed, such as after a big freeze. They come through the freeze just fine, but then fall victim to Fire Blight in late spring.

I tried and failed with PawPaws once, but do need to try them again. Non available locally, but next time I head to the New Orleans area I will take the back way and stop by Bantings. I don't make it there but every 1 to 2 years, but I love the place.

After speaking with Axel, and tasting them, I will try White Sapote.

Grew a huge Dragon Fruit, but never got fruit and then winter of 2010 took it out. In a string of mild winters, maybe.

Tried and failed multiple times with Papaya including Mountain varieties.

I did get two types of bananas to fruit year before last. They always come back, but it takes a mild previous winter to get fruit. I want to expand my varieties. Unfortunately my wife is not a huge fan of bananas.

Keep the ideas coming, please. I want a food forest.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Persimmons grow well here ...Diospyros virgiana (firm fleshed) and Diospyros kaki (soft fleshed)

Jaboticaba is supposed to be hardy to the low 20s

Natal plum is common on TX coast...probably hardy to low 20s

Olives? Muscadine grape? Myrica rubra?

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Keith,

Good suggestions from everyone. Agree with Xenon on the Jaboticaba, and Natal Plum. The one thing to consider if you try Natals is standard forms can be wickedly spiny. " Boxwood beauty" is one of the few cultivars which lacks spines. It also stays short and can be tucked into a warm corner that can be easily protected if need be. Might not fruit as prolifically as thornier types though.

Not sure if it is seen there in Louisiana but Surinam cherry should be hardy enough to trial, and also will produce at a small/ managed size. Mine are all in pots and I get lots of fruit. Black varieties are supposedly sweeter than red but I really can't tell much difference. Only drawback is seed is prolific. Considered somewhat of an invasive here in FL.

Another Eugenia family member worth looking into, Cherry of the Rio Grande.. Large red-black fruits taste great, slower growing and can also live out it's life in a container if need be.. and the bark/ trunk has a lot of visual appeal. Looks alot like Jaboticaba as it sheds but much more colorful. Looks like Camo gear, imo.

-Nathan-

Pick the right dragon fruit plant to grow (self pollination).. It will take about 3 to 4 years for it to set fruits in zone 9. With right fertilizer and care it will set fruit for you other while it just give out green. It does need winter protection. No luck with it then, the next fruit I would think off is pomegranate too. I have 4 young trees of Russian Pomegranate the Parfianka. Just grow what you like to eat. Too many uneaten fruit trees you will have problem with unwanted animals come to your yard.

I live in the San Joaquin valley which is usda zone 9a, 9b and a small amount of 10a.

I think we grow about 80-90 percent the the us fruit and nut crops.

Our winter averages don't really change much from year to year. We have just enough chill for stone fruit and apple and cherries and warm enough for citrus , pomegrande and hardier avocado.

I was gonna list all the fruit grown within 150 miles of my ....commercially ....

But just head to your local supermarkets produce section , there's a good chance the whole produce section was grown here in our zone 9b farms.

Lol

As far as exotics, figs, loquats and kiwis do well.

I have lychee and Longans, macadamia ,starfruit, tr Hovey papaya and babaco.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I had a large Cherimoya, doesn't take temps below 25f very well.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f