• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sad news. Dr. Wilcox.

ErikSJI

I saw that this morning on another palm board. He was a real gentleman, as well as a generous person of great intellect. I'll always remember him hosting a large group at his two properties in/near Gainesville. My condolences to his family and friends.

For those of you that enjoy inter specific or intergeneric hybrids from the Coccoid group (Syagrus crossed with Butia especially), Dr Wilcox was a pioneer in this area. An appropriate tribute would be to plant a Mule Palm in his name!

I suppose we'll put this thread in the memorials category at some point?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I planted a few for him. I knew him for almost 30 years --- we worked together a bit on the FCCJ garden and other projects. We took several trips together.

Biennial in Hawaii in 1990, a 1994 road trip through Mexico and finally a pollen collecting trip in 2001 --- . I learned so much from him on these trips but didnt get interested in the palm hybrids until a bit latter ---

I salute his passing and always will admire his memory.

Best regards

Ed

During my years in central Florida, I always found him to be a real gentleman who treated everyone with the greatest respect. When he spoke on scientific matters, it was with genuine authority, and he conveyed his enthusiasm for his projects, which continued into his retirement. He developed hybrid palms that could survive in his region (Gainesville). Some were really impressive in their stature and beauty.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

He was always considerate and patient in our communications. And he was fortunate enough to start early and stay with it long enough to see many of his works reach full maturity. He will be missed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I was saddened to learn of Dr. Wilcox's passing. I first me Dr. Wilcox when he attended the June 2003 CFPACS meeting held at my place in Lake Placid, Florida. I saw he took an interest in my butia and butiagrus palms. I was surprised to learn that at one time he lived in my hometown, just blocks from me.

I think the one thing I will always remember about Dr. Wilcox was his kindness and sincerity and helpfulness in his communications with me about palms

My condolences to the Wilcox family.

Mad about palms

Sorry to hear. I've seen his name mentioned many times here on the forum. It's sad to loose a palm person with so much knowledge and one who has given so much of his life to furthering the understanding of palms. Being an owner of three mules and two butia I especially feel saddened, but thankful too.

Thanks for sharing the obit. I loved the comment about not being fond of suits so dress casually if attending.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

He left a true legacy to the palm world through his various contributions and work with hybridization. He assisted me in my endeavors and was an inspiration. God bless Dr. Wilcox!

JD