IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Traffic trap gets zapped

DoomsDave

Looks like this town of traffic bullies finally gets its comeuppance.

Now, I can direct the t-busters to a lot of towns in Ohio . . .

http://news.msn.com/us/infamous-speed-trap-town-investigated-over-tickets

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

150px-Character.Waldo.jpg

Two police chiefs removed but no charges against the mayor or city manager who were obviously complicit.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

So far.

I hope to see more digging. One thing we did right in Cali was to outlaw speed traps, back in the 1920s. I wish Ohio had done that.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Am I missing something ? Are people upset because they are getting tickets for speeding ? I mean - think about it. How hard is it to follow the speed limit? Again - am I missing something?

Am I missing something ? Are people upset because they are getting tickets for speeding ? I mean - think about it. How hard is it to follow the speed limit? Again - am I missing something?

Honest limits are one thing.

Trickery, and, worst of all quotas are something else. They turn the police into a dishonest revenue agency. Not good.

Alas, this type of thing is widespread; it certainly was in Ohio.

Examples include: hiding speed limit signs behind trees and bushes, or around corners where they're hard to see, making artificially low limits in places where they're inappropriate. Ohio was full of that.

What a hoot. Waldo (pop. 1,022) and Lawtey (pop. 724) hit the speed trap jackpot! Ranked 1 & 2 in the US. I know them and their speed trap billboards well. They are only miles apart on Rt. 301, which is a well-traveled 4-lane shortcut between I-95 & I-10 and I-75. We go through them on our way up and down the east coast at least once a year. Thanks to the AAA billboards we watch our speed carefully. Finally the FDLE is forced to pay attention to these looters.

Which brings back a childhood memory of a family vacation to the Outer Banks many decades ago. My father was driving the '53 Mercury Monterey down a stetch of road in Nansemond County, VA at the posted speed of 60 mph. About 100 yds further the speed limit dropped to 30. By the time Dad saw the tiny sign he had no time to slow and sailed right past a billboard concealing a squad car. Result: speeding ticket. My Dad was apoplectic because he knew he'd fallen into a speed trap.

You see, he was an FBI agent and J. Edgar Hoover frowned on his agents running afoul of any law enforcement, even crooked cops in a speed trap. So, after we got home from vacation, he quietly mailed in his fine. We never spoke of the incident again.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

What a hoot. Waldo (pop. 1,022) and Lawtey (pop. 724) hit the speed trap jackpot! Ranked 1 & 2 in the US. I know them and their speed trap billboards well. They are only miles apart on Rt. 301, which is a well-traveled 4-lane shortcut between I-95 & I-10 and I-75. We go through them on our way up and down the east coast at least once a year. Thanks to the AAA billboards we watch our speed carefully. Finally the FDLE is forced to pay attention to these looters.

Which brings back a childhood memory of a family vacation to the Outer Banks many decades ago. My father was driving the '53 Mercury Monterey down a stetch of road in Nansemond County, VA at the posted speed of 60 mph. About 100 yds further the speed limit dropped to 30. By the time Dad saw the tiny sign he had no time to slow and sailed right past a billboard concealing a squad car. Result: speeding ticket. My Dad was apoplectic because he knew he'd fallen into a speed trap.

You see, he was an FBI agent and J. Edgar Hoover frowned on his agents running afoul of any law enforcement, even crooked cops in a speed trap. So, after we got home from vacation, he quietly mailed in his fine. We never spoke of the incident again.

Wonder what J. Edgar did when he got caught in a speed trap?

The same, I suspect.

The same, I suspect.

Dave, Hoover had drivers to take him places. Keep an eye out for the book "No Left Turns" written by a former FBI agent in the 1970s. I bought it, read it, then gave it to my Dad. He thought the book was hysterical and kept it till he had to move out of his home in 1998. The title refers to an incident when Hoover was in Texas for some kind of formal dinner. His limo driver made a legal left turn on a green arrow. Another driver ran a red light and slammed into the limo. Hoover wasn't injured but for the rest of his life he forbade any of his drivers to make a left turn. Which resulted in Hoover and his car traveling in circles and loops of right turns to get lined up with their destination.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

The same, I suspect.

Dave, Hoover had drivers to take him places. Keep an eye out for the book "No Left Turns" written by a former FBI agent in the 1970s. I bought it, read it, then gave it to my Dad. He thought the book was hysterical and kept it till he had to move out of his home in 1998. The title refers to an incident when Hoover was in Texas for some kind of formal dinner. His limo driver made a legal left turn on a green arrow. Another driver ran a red light and slammed into the limo. Hoover wasn't injured but for the rest of his life he forbade any of his drivers to make a left turn. Which resulted in Hoover and his car traveling in circles and loops of right turns to get lined up with their destination.

Sounds like J. Edgar was loopy.