IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca alba Addition to Our Garden

LilikoiLee

Mike and I love the color of Areca alba and we were recently very happy to acquire two more. We just planted them next to our older pair.

If you have any in your garden, we'd love to see a picture.

Lee

post-3412-0-28448300-1409650687_thumb.jp

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

OMG!!!!

I am dreaming about Areca alba since long time and we don't have it in Doranakanda garden :) it's difficult to find this species in Sri Lanka.

Congratulation for your new splendid Areca

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Colorful palms add such a punch to a garden and the A. alba is the brightest and most colorful we've ever seen. Think I'll do a post about colorful crownshafts.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

G'day Lee,Your var albas are SPECTACULAR :drool: Kennybenjamin & myslef have just recently returned from Cairns, here are afew pics we took of the var alba whilst we were there.

These were taken at Flecker botanical gardens

post-7381-0-74724000-1409653139_thumb.jppost-7381-0-00520300-1409653160_thumb.jp

And these were taken from a nursery growers garden just north of Cairns

post-7381-0-48070400-1409653219_thumb.jppost-7381-0-30407500-1409653242_thumb.jp

very nice Lee! I have bought 2 of these over the years and they both turned out to be the regular green catechu form. seed was apparently from alba parent aswell?

very nice Lee! I have bought 2 of these over the years and they both turned out to be the regular green catechu form. seed was apparently from alba parent aswell?

That's very interesting!! Vestiaria seeds can go either way, catechu dwarf seeds can go either way and now var alba seeds can go either way?

I'd love to see a dwarf var alba!!

G'day Lee,Your var albas are SPECTACULAR :drool: Kennybenjamin & myslef have just recently returned from Cairns, here are afew pics we took of the var alba whilst we were there.

These were taken at Flecker botanical gardens

attachicon.gifDSCN0136.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0140.JPG

And these were taken from a nursery growers garden just north of Cairns

attachicon.gifDSCN0340.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0341.JPG

Paul, Interesting that the alba in Cairns are much thinner than the ones that grow here is Hawaii. Ours are actually more slender than the best specimens here. Tim Brian (realarch) has some fantastic robust ones. (They make me cringe whenever I see them........)

Lee

Lee

Ben,

"I'd love to see a dwarf var alba!! Whoa, what an idea!

Lee

Lee

Those look great and unique. I have one planted from a cone and it is coming along nicely, next to two big Areca macrocarpa.

Lee, I am so happy for your garden!

Wow Lee/Mike, you scored! I haven't seen those for sale in a long time. That grouping looks extra nice and maybe one of these days I'll get to see them in person!!!!!

I'll post a pic from my garden today.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A pair of A. alba's flowering and seeding. The seed has been on these for what seems forever, so time will tell if they are viable or not.

Crown shaft has to be one of the most beautiful shades of yellow.

Tim

post-1300-0-38453700-1409771720_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great palms there Tim!!!

I don't know if you read my post above? Obviously you have flowering alba and I'm pretty sure you have some very nice dwarf catechu there as well?? I seriously think someone should try and hybridise the 2 of them and try and create a " dwarf var. alba ".... I think you might be the man for the job??

Ahhh Ben, you are an inspiration. My dwarf Catechu still hasn't flowered, but when it does, that might be an interesting exercise.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii