IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neophloga advice

sashaeffer

Have small potted Neophloga "Pink crownshaft palm"

Palm indoors, in bright lit room, 45% humidity, very short duration morning sunlight. Soil well draining and kept damp, but not wet.

Just looking for what other members here that have these indoors and their growing experience.

I wonder by looking at it if I kept it too wet.

post-9928-0-04638100-1409577631_thumb.jp

post-9928-0-69655500-1409577667_thumb.jp

I don't grow plants indoors but my first thought is your humidity might be low, esp. if 45% is your maximum. These tropical palms love high humidity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks.

I did strongly suspect too wet so took it out of it's soil and it was soaked/saturated so re planted it in new, better draining dry soil.

I bought one of these for my daugther who lives in San Diego, from a hobbyist that grew it in Carlsbad, CA outside in shade. We have much more humidity here, than they do there. If all else fails, will just get another one if this one doesn't make it.

Thanks again for the reply.

If the pot had some lava rock, chances are that this was actually grown in Hawaii (probably Jeff) and resold by someone in Carlsbad. I bought one as well.

I bought mine(this one) from Ebay seller after buying the one in Carlsbad for daughter.

When I took it out of it's saturated pot I was happy to see a very well developed root system that had been growing since I bought the palm. If it doesn't make it, lesson learned for my next one.

Don't confuse ambient air humidity with wet/soggy potting mix. Mist leaves regularly and/or set pot on a tray of rocks and water.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Oh, that is so sad. I hope it recovers and we can look forward to a healthy picture of it soon.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

I have four and find that the trunk color varies considerably. Two are BRIGHT red and two look like pinnatifrons. They are about two years old. Does this variability diminish with age?