IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis minuta outdoors?

Matt in OC

I have a beautiful new minuta, but I haven't found much info on growing conditions aside from "warm, sheltered, and moist." How cold hardy are these little guys? Safe sheltered, outdoors, in SoCal? Thanks.

Hi there, that's cool that you have Dypsis Minuta. I just bought 2 Dypsis Minuta a couple months ago. This is a good question, I'm curious about their outdoor hardiness also. I decided to grow mine indoors for now. So far they are doing good.

I was thinking about trying them outside and moving them in during the winter. I'm guessing they will be a zone 10a/10b palm, but I'm not sure. I say that because they come from the rainforest of Madagascar in the Masoala National Park area.

Hopefully someone with more experience growing them will post here. They are really cool little palms. Good luck with your Dypsis Minuta.

Edited by Small palm

I have a row of 11 for a border. I am planning on getting 12 more from floribunda. I know our conditions are different than CA, but it has

been a tough little palm. Usually the small understory stuff has been a learning experiance for me and have killed quite a few, but the only

minuta that died on me, was one that got stepped on. Just filtered Oahu light and thick mulch and water and they are happy. Might have to

be kept in a pot, and brought in during the colder winter months over there

aloha

Ditto on the request for pictures. Colin, would love to see your row of eleven. We have a number of dwarf Dypsis which I have been afraid to put in the ground so I would love to hear more about how long yours have been there and how they're doing.

Lee

PS: I will post some pictures of ours soon.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Here's my little guy from Floribunda. They do such a magnificent job.

Looking forward to seeing the row of 11!

post-9980-0-61203900-1409411889_thumb.jp

post-9980-0-01507600-1409411901_thumb.jp

Nice looking palm scion, I got my Dypsis Minuta from Floribunda too. Their palms look nice and healthy. One of mine started pushing new growth a couple weeks ago.

Here's a couple pics of my palms, the second pic shows the new spear growing.

post-7631-0-65265200-1409442388_thumb.jp

post-7631-0-78055700-1409442639_thumb.jp

Lee, here are mine, they have been in the ground for maybe 10mths. For how small they are they are pretty durable.

aloha

post-4990-0-20865200-1409464005_thumb.jp