IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Marie off California coast - Seal Beach flooded

DoomsDave

We don't get them out here. I actually said that, earlier today.

Well, maybe we do.

http://news.msn.com/us/hurricane-marie-and-the-pacific-coast#image=4

These were taken in Seal Beach.

Hope our Palmtalkers are okay down there.

_h353_w628_m6_ofalse_lfalse.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oddly enough while paddling outrigger canoe out in the ocean last night off San Diego, you'd never have guessed there was high surf anywhere. There wasn't much wind chop and the swells were low and gentle, just enough to give the canoe a little juice on the way back to the bay. The swell is coming from directly south, and the little Coronado Islands blocked it from parts of the San Diego coastline, while other areas felt the full impact with big surf.

post-216-0-84658000-1409245415_thumb.png

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Harbors are lovely things!

Seal Beach lacks one.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was expecting to see surf photos too. Our news stations up here have been running video of some good waves down there. That water looked pretty deep in the affected area.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

I was a bit shocked, though in retrospect I shouldn't have been.

Seal Beach is, unlike most other places along the CA coast, very low-lying and unprotected by barrier islands or a natural or manmade harbor. Tsunami warning signs are everywhere. So are nice houses, many in the $1 million and above price range, some way above.

A place like Huntington Beach has higher ground behind the beaches which can provide at least a little protection that Seal Beach lacks. It's just a big giant sandbar from what I can see, very much like those islands along the Jersey Shore that were so devastated by Sandy.

According to the "OC Grand Jury":

"State agencies estimate that Orange County is at “moderate” risk of a tsunami.1 In 1855, two large waves surged up San Juan Creek. In 1877, an earthquake in Chile sent a three-foot high wave into Anaheim Bay in Seal Beach. In 1934, Newport Beach reported a wave 9.8-feet high that injured four persons, destroyed several cottages on Balboa Peninsula and washed away pavement, isolating some residents. In 1964, a tsunami caused by a 9.3 earthquake in Alaska sent a four- to five-foot high surge into Anaheim Bay-Huntington Harbour."

Oddly enough while paddling outrigger canoe out in the ocean last night off San Diego, you'd never have guessed there was high surf anywhere. There wasn't much wind chop and the swells were low and gentle, just enough to give the canoe a little juice on the way back to the bay. The swell is coming from directly south, and the little Coronado Islands blocked it from parts of the San Diego coastline, while other areas felt the full impact with big surf.

attachicon.gifsocal_now8_28.png

Interesting graphic Kim. You can really see the "swell shadow" from the islands.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Leo Carrillo and Point Dume were great that last few days. Gotta love a well timed camping trip coinciding with some hurricane swell.

Laird on SUP shoots the pier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPO1zpDqQ8I

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim Cyr