IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea armata in flower

ghar41

There are many of these in my neighborhood but this one in particular is probably my favorite. I don't have one planted in my yard but there are many I can see just a short distance away. post-376-0-51321500-1408813757_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

A brahea armata in full bloom is one of the most spectacular sights there is! Since I have bigger acreage, I use brahea armata rather liberally, I have 4 pure armatas and several claras and other armata hybrids, but I understand how it's not a good fit for regular city lots.

That's one of the nice things about late summer. Brahea armata in bloom are spectacular.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

A Brahea armata in full flower is hard to beat for beauty. Can you think of any other palm that might rival this?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

A Brahea armata in full flower is hard to beat for beauty. Can you think of any other palm that might rival this?

It's a good question Al. I was at Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu once when the Corypha umbraculifera was in bloom and it was very impressive. But more like a crown...B armata more like jeweled skirt.

Here are some better photos..unfortunately all are from my Iphone.

An IMG

IMG_1941_zpsc36825fc.jpg

IMG_1942_zpsfe518c39.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

That's one of the nice things about late summer. Brahea armata in bloom are spectacular.

Really? Does armata bloom there in late summer? In my place it blooms earlier (about early to mid summer) and now it has already set tiny green fruits. Since my garden lies a parallel or two more to the north than most of the californian gardens, may I assume that warmth rather than sunlight triggers blooming of armata?

Actually the photo was tAken a few weeks back and mid summer is more accurate here also.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b