IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is wrong with my Euterpe edulis

dimitris

Hello everyone ,

I have this palm for some years now grown from seed , its was a fairly easy palm to grow but the last two years every new leaf that opens get brown spotted no matter the season and temperature . I checked it many times for pests but I can't find anything .

It was placed in a spot without direct sunlight , I thought that might the light was too intense and I moved it under a tree in dense shade , the result was the new leaf got crisped like it was sunburned !?!

So what do you think is the problem ? Some sort of nutrient deficiency or some pest problem ? Any thoughts ?

post-6446-0-75222500-1408718083_thumb.jp

post-6446-0-68317300-1408718115_thumb.jp

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

My experience with euterpe is that they need low pH soil, otherwise they show typical K deficiencies.

When they get larger, they should be able to grow in full sun in humid climates. I have one in full sun in east Hawaii.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Thank you both for your replies , I ll try to add some espresso and pine needles to the soil to made the ph lower , for faster results I will give my Euterpe a homemade lemonade .

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

My plan was leaving it in the pot to gain some size before planting in the ground !

Seedlings don't survive easily in my garden , recently I lost all pinanga coronata planted in various places .

I wish I had left one in pot .

Western Greece zone 9b

I have a bunch of 1gal plants that see 6+ hours of direct full sun and they still look flawless, it's pretty dry out here too, i have 2 that didn't make it though

Edited by KennyRE317

Best thing you could do is plant it.

Agree..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Agree..

Plant it. Add lot of organics to the soil and better to suplent it with some Potassium.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I don't want to hijack a thread, but you all might know if this is normal Euterpe edulis behaviour or not. One of my early seeds sprouted (14 months later), and there are two shoots out of the one seed. Is this natural? (and Yay! to E. Edulis for surprising me at such a late date; I hope all my other defunct seeds show equal vigor!)

JT

post-7712-0-35519400-1408784199_thumb.jppost-7712-0-92866400-1408784211_thumb.jp

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Dimitris,I find this is always root related,not sun related. Some kind of root rot or damage from high salt levels in the pot. Placing it in more shade will only make the problem worse as you saw. The best remedy is what already proposed,to ground plant it. They always fix after that. Seems big enough to handle anything just fine and if you are worried about dog damage,etc,fence it till bigger. Just make sure you amend it's planting area heavily with well draining organics as your sand will not hold enough water for its likings alone. And add a good mulch around it.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Agree..

Plant it. Add lot of organics to the soil and better to suplent it with some Potassium.

Yes, some plants/palms just aren't suited to pot culture and thrive when in ground.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa