IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bentinckia condapanna

dp92651

Curious to see how the Bentinckia condapanna's of so cal are doing. I had one die (roots were too wet), but the original is still going strong.

I have a bunch under shade cloth I am going to sell soon, I think these are winners to parts of so cal.

post-4360-0-84058800-1408339560_thumb.jp

Curious to see how the Bentinckia condapanna's of so cal are doing. I had one die (roots were too wet), but the original is still going strong.

I have a bunch under shade cloth I am going to sell soon, I think these are winners to parts of so cal.

Looks great :greenthumb: take some pics down low to show its fantastic colours, glad they are winners for all the keen Californians, your available Condapannas will be "snapped up very very quickly"..

Pete :)

Please PM me when you plan to sell. I'm in the market.

I had one die. I suspect from too much sun, too soon. I am trying again with shade cloth.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Please PM me when you plan to sell. I'm in the market.

Same here , I would be interested in trying one aswell.

Thx

Nickolas

That looks pretty darn good Derek and the trunk looks like it's got some nice color too.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I want to try this palm this year.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I want to try this palm this year.

Wal, you "will" be growing this palm whenever you want it. It will grow great for you!!

Here's my one Wal that's been thru it first winter, and no probs with it, finally things are warming up and the new spear is starting to open

post-7381-0-25352000-1408578942_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-87311600-1408578963_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-19624900-1408578986_thumb.jp

I just shifted some tall 1g into 5g, and I was surprised how thick and wiry and vigorous the roots where for just a month worth of growth in the tall 1g. This seems like an incredibly vigorous and aggressive palm, I would really be surprised if this species doesn't become common in a large spectrum of climates sort of like king palms.

I just shifted some tall 1g into 5g, and I was surprised how thick and wiry and vigorous the roots where for just a month worth of growth in the tall 1g. This seems like an incredibly vigorous and aggressive palm, I would really be surprised if this species doesn't become common in a large spectrum of climates sort of like king palms.

Hey Axel I have no doubt doubt this palm is certainly gonna take off, not wanting to sound like a broken record, but we got down to 2.8 degrees (30F) and it didn't miss a beat. and for such a cold tolerant palm I can see this palm being planted in great numbers here and over in the states, good luck with yours

Hey Axel I have no doubt doubt this palm is certainly gonna take off, not wanting to sound like a broken record, but we got down to 2.8 degrees (30F) and it didn't miss a beat. and for such a cold tolerant palm I can see this palm being planted in great numbers here and over in the states, good luck with yours

Paul, 0C is 32F so was it 2.8Cfor sure or 30F for sure? 30F would be pretty impressive, especially with frost.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Axel, You know how averse I am to pots so you won't be surprised at the two Bentinkia condapanna I have in the ground. They've only been in the ground about two months but haven't shown an ounce of stress in their new home. Could these be as hardy as King palms?

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Paul, 0C is 32F so was it 2.8Cfor sure or 30F for sure? 30F would be pretty impressive, especially with frost.

Sorry Jim, yep it was 2.8c here, so that would be 37.04 in the states

Sorry Jim, yep it was 2.8c here, so that would be 37.04 in the states

Two one leaf seedlings saw 32F below canopy, no damage at all.

Axel, You know how averse I am to pots so you won't be surprised at the two Bentinkia condapanna I have in the ground. They've only been in the ground about two months but haven't shown an ounce of stress in their new home. Could these be as hardy as King palms?

Given how aggressive the roots are, I'd say that was a good move. I am 100% sure those will do fine at your place with all the canopy you have. I think they can take some cold, I am going to go out on a limb and guess they're about as hardy as a dypsis baronii both in terms of cold and sun tolerance. I think I will probably plant one of mine in the ground.

No way on a par with baronii or Archontophoenix in cool climates. They might not burn readily but they do chuck out small fronds after cool weather much like Hyophorbes for example can do. Magnets for sucking insects when stressed too.

I don't have any experience with this palm so I will defer to Rich's knowledge. Too bad, this looked promising.

Jastins has a few that are looking great. I'll ask him to post a few pics.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Here is a pic of mine. I got this from FB last year (Maybe two years) as a one gal and two 4" pots. I made a triple out of them and planted it where it gets sun after 12pm. It started to bend right away reaching for more sun which isn't gonna make it the prettiest triple but it has really grown fast, especially the one gal. Some of the leaves got burnt during the hot weather and fires this year but it's been a great looking palm for me.

post-5836-0-89764500-1408656558_thumb.jp

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Jastin, that's really fattening up fast. Axel, it may still be okay up here if we don't mind some winter stunting.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Jastin, that's really fattening up fast. Axel, it may still be okay up here if we don't mind some winter stunting.

Rich has been a good barometer for success for me, everything he's ever recommended to me thrives for me. Although there are things he's counseled against that turn out to be great, but more often than not he's right. We'll just have to see. I am putting my hopes on larger plants. I am growing mine to fat 15 gallons before I put them in.

Rich has been a good barometer for success for me, everything he's ever recommended to me thrives for me. Although there are things he's counseled against that turn out to be great, but more often than not he's right. We'll just have to see. I am putting my hopes on larger plants. I am growing mine to fat 15 gallons before I put them in.

Not saying don't , just be prepared for the long haul. The extra heat you get might make all the difference. That Licuala ramsayi of yours is doing better than mine so far...

Not saying don't , just be prepared for the long haul. The extra heat you get might make all the difference. That Licuala ramsayi of yours is doing better than mine so far...

Licuala ramsayi is a pretty easy grow up here. I have several of them in the ground. None have been in the ground more than three years however.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Here is mine, getting quite big now and steady, an easy grow for so cal so far.

post-151-0-75748000-1408918009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Beautiful gtlevinne! Thats one healthy looking specimen.

Thanks, it really grows well for me.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

No, Jim--I can grow King palms... I have killed quite a few of these.

Yes I have one in the ground and alive(a couple years now) however, it is anything but happy. Doesn't look to be heat tolerant--would say the same for Heterospathe barfodii.

No, Jim--I can grow King palms...

How about Roystonea or Wodyetia? Andrew, are those comparable hardiness wise to Bentinkia condapanna? If so, mine have a chance.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Heat sun and water.

Don't know how cold they'll take. If you want to shelter one, make sure not to shade it too much.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How about Roystonea or Wodyetia? Andrew, are those comparable hardiness wise to Bentinkia condapanna? If so, mine have a chance.

Andrew's climate is suited to lowland tropical species, so it could be that it's too hot to grow this palm. I've heard of them doing well in Central Florida though, so it might actually need a cool period to do well.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Not that I grow those two, but no--the others are more hardy(at least to heat--which is my limiting factor, I am assuming).

Bentinckia is a highland palm from 1000-1800 meters elevation and it does not grow in Southern India below 1000 meters. There's no reason these wouldn't have the same requirements that the pritchardia from Hawaii have that grow in the same elevation range. Intuitively, it seems this would be a cool weather USDA 10a palm and become 9b capable as it gets older. I have no proof for this other than anecdotal evidence from others on how it's performed in various climates so far.

Dave, I don't believe the "heat" requirement on these, I've seen these grow superbly well in the highlands of Kona where it's considerably cooler than your La Habra Shangri La (72F and cooler during the day). What I've seen is that it's not a canopy palm, it wants to be in part to full sun. Shade in clay is probably a death sentence for this palm. One probably has to be willing to put up with some burn until they adapt to full sun. But I bet they're like the pritchardia in that once they're acclimated to full sun, they can take more frost too.

I think Axel nailed it on the head--I had one die in the shade. They definitely need full sun, just not a lot of heat.

Here is one I planted in June, from Floribunda. So far it is growing well here in central FL.

2014-08-27007_zps7ebee704.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Bentinckia is a highland palm from 1000-1800 meters elevation and it does not grow in Southern India below 1000 meters. There's no reason these wouldn't have the same requirements that the pritchardia from Hawaii have that grow in the same elevation range. Intuitively, it seems this would be a cool weather USDA 10a palm and become 9b capable as it gets older. I have no proof for this other than anecdotal evidence from others on how it's performed in various climates so far.

Dave, I don't believe the "heat" requirement on these, I've seen these grow superbly well in the highlands of Kona where it's considerably cooler than your La Habra Shangri La (72F and cooler during the day). What I've seen is that it's not a canopy palm, it wants to be in part to full sun. Shade in clay is probably a death sentence for this palm. One probably has to be willing to put up with some burn until they adapt to full sun. But I bet they're like the pritchardia in that once they're acclimated to full sun, they can take more frost too.

We'll try to plant Bentinckia condapanna where Loxococus grows, I know they don't meet in the wild, but south-indian mountains may be compared to srilankan mountains, where tea, coffee and cocoa grow…

We'll see :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Just took these pics this arvo, new leave has finally open up, such a great looking palm, one of my favourites

post-7381-0-46835800-1409389902_thumb.jppost-7381-0-20867400-1409389930_thumb.jppost-7381-0-01021200-1409389951_thumb.jppost-7381-0-91164500-1409389966_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 2/2/2021 at 11:24 AM, TropicalGardenSpain said:

Has anyone got any seeds or seedlings or can point me in the right direction? Thank you

Floribunda currently has seedlings up to 1 gallon pots for sale. Might be expensive for phytosanitary certificate and international shipping. 

https://www.floribunda.xyz/pricelist/