IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trees Cut Down In Hawaii To Fight Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle

Dr. George

Just rec'd from a friend in HI - 150 Coconut trees going down at Pearl Harbor in the effort to stop the rhinocerous beetle - big problem they have been struggling to control before it spreads throughout the islands: Trees Down

gmp

Hopefully it is localized and they have contained it. Once established, it is extremely difficult to eradicate an insect population.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

They need to use the microwave system they use in Europe. They can save the coconuts and kill tne beetles.

Not good news. The removal of the trees acknowledges establishment and breeding of the beetles. I sure hope that the interviewee in the video is correct in his assessment that the insect can in fact be contained and ultimately eradicated.

But what if it isn't? Is there still room for optimism? These beetles are native to SE Asia where palms, of course, continue to thrive. Even other Pacific islands where the insect has established itself continue to support native palm populations. Hafta be hopeful.

There is a natural enemy.

This is as nasty as the Red Palm Weevil.

praying . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It makes me mad these beetles are sold as pets here!!! Yes a completely insane craze for Rhino beetles amongst teenage males. Just a question of time before they become a major pest. You can walk into pet shops and see an entire range of them, various species from all over the globe.

In places like Malaysia they seem to be in balance with nature, predators and palms. The Chinese love them crushed up too which is a good thing, though Im not betting on any erections any time soon. Many are sold dead and mounted artlessly in various displays or encased in resin as they are meant to bring potency and luck to the buyer.

Thats a pity about the palms, though.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 2 months later...

A beetle was captured just recently in a Diamond Head trap. That is only a few miles from out neighborhood. There is

a trap hanging in the street just a few houses away from mine. Hope it stays empty. The beetles would appear to be

spreading.

Rhino beetles, like all of the scarabs, are very fast, powerful fliers, like mini tanker planes. My understanding is they're much better fliers than weevils are.

I hope the bug police are acting and planning accordingly.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just read an article and they have captured around 2100 adults and larvae !!!. Yes, they do go after many other palms, besides

coco. There is a list on a Purdue university website. Rats, mongoose and birds are supposed to be predators. Maybe the invasive

rodents can now go after the invasive beetles.

aloha

Very frightening! Thanks for the 'heads up" Dr. George.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Thankfully this started on Oahu - it at least has a chance of being squelched. If it were like the Fire Ants, the Coqui Frogs, or any number of the other invasive species that started on the outer islands, it is not a problem unless or until it reaches Oahu.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Just went by Diamond Head and there are many of these CRB traps now hanging along the road. This one

is by my house. "Please stay empty!!"

post-4990-0-43356000-1414023967_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to cut down cocos in waikiki by aquarium. Kaimana beach.

There are a few palms with ribbon tied around them and their fronds look as though they are

cut in half, tale tale signs they have beetle in them.

post-4990-0-40940400-1416083516_thumb.jp

Didnt meen to sound as there is CRB on north shore, just traps, the palm above is at Kaimana beech by Aquarium.

Like Justin said, if this were happening on any island other than Oahu, the effort to eradicate would probably not be as vigorous. Let's hope for the best.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii