IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which palms are dinosaur resistant?

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

We are ordering a Velociraptor from dinosaurbreeders.com and we were wondering which palms would be dinosaur resistant. So far, the Velociraptor is the only one of the new paleogenetically engineered revived creatures that has been approved as a domestic pet in the County of Santa Cruz, but only on parcels of 1/2 acre or more. Unfortunately, the guys at dinosaurbreeders.com tell us that the Velociraptor turns out to no be entirely carnivorous, and will eat certain garden plants. Our neighbor already has a male, and so far, it appears it feeds primarily on deciduous plants and seems to avoid citrus and avocado altogether. We're asking to get a female so that we can get ours to breed with our neighbor's.

But my neighbor doesn't grow any palms, and we wanted to keep the Velociraptor in a part of the garden with a lot of palms and cycads since they'd go well together. We're thinking palms like livistona that have a lot of thorns on the petioles might be a better bet. But we wanted to be able to grow more than just livistona. Any ideas? Unfortunately dinosaurbreeders.com is in Maryland and no palms grow there, so they have no clue what palms these things will eat.

Isn't that a cute fellow?

ethel.jpg

Funny you should post this. My graduate degree is in dino studies and I have been working in the field of dinosaur breeding for 19 years.

Thus I am THE authority on PalmTalk on dinosaur behavior, biology and dietary needs. If anyone else has a different perspective or opinion...they are a stupid moron.

As long as you provide supplemental alfalfa hay you should be ok. Dinosaurs, given an easy alternative to palms, will take it. Although, I would recommend the addition of carrots too from time to time. Hand feeding of carrots is best, especially for velociraptors.

Congrats on the addition! I have NO doubt you will be very happy. And once they have babies...honestly, no better way to teach the kids responsibility than to put them in charge of the care of the new mother and young.

Again, good choice and congrats!!

dang you are really reaching

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Funny you should post this. My graduate degree is in dino studies and I have been working in the field of dinosaur breeding for 19 years.

Thus I am THE authority on PalmTalk on dinosaur behavior, biology and dietary needs. If anyone else has a different perspective or opinion...they are a stupid moron.

As long as you provide supplemental alfalfa hay you should be ok. Dinosaurs, given an easy alternative to palms, will take it. Although, I would recommend the addition of carrots too from time to time. Hand feeding of carrots is best, especially for velociraptors.

Congrats on the addition! I have NO doubt you will be very happy. And once they have babies...honestly, no better way to teach the kids responsibility than to put them in charge of the care of the new mother and young.

Again, good choice and congrats!!

I knew i could count on PalmTalk to get all answers related to palms! I'll make sure to keep a good alfalfa supply on hand. Well, since these things are about the size of turkeys, it might be safer to let my kids get a little older before I put them in charge. I hear the Velociraptors will eat terriers and other small dogs, so better keep the kids at a safe distance.

These things are supposed to be better than chickens because you get eggs AND they keep the rodent population under control. Since you have 19 years experience, any good tips on how to increase the egg production? Velociraptor egg omelets are supposed to be super tasty!

Interestingly, I have tried a number of things over the years. They really appreciate a nice dinner, some candle light and some mood music. A bottle of their favorite red wine is usually pretty helpful.

When this method is applied, rabbits have nothing on them.

Axel, it sounds like you would be right at home on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland Australia. One of our billionaire miners..... Who now has his own political party.....has a fascination for dinosaurs ( among other things ).

Clive Palmer owns this resort.... http://palmercoolumresort.com.au/dinosaurs/

As a side note..... I was thinking about Palmer as a name for my soon to be born son ( I thought it was very appropriate ) but due to Clive Palmer being a devisive figure in Australia my name choice was shot down by my wife..... Looks like he will be called Dypsis instead??

There may be more answers closer to home.

The IPS board seems to be heavily populated by dinos and I fear headed toward extinction.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Sago palms. Gives em the runs.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Be sure to have some Acrocomia planted - they need something to rub their backs against to get rid of that irritating old skin.

Thanks for indulging this little joke. Perhaps some day these things will be brought back. Not sure it's a good idea, but it's an interesting concept.