IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World's best zoo...

Hammer

The Miami Zoo is pretty impressive as well, especially when it comes to the huge palm collection planted on the property. Thanks and all the credit to Lenny Goldstein who's been a palm society member for over 20 years.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Boo for Zoos :beat_deadhorse:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Get over it.....

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

How about Tree Zoos?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

One of the best Zoos I have been in is the Tuxtla Gutierrez zoo in Chiapas all native animals not a huge one but wraped around a hill and forests all the native Chiapas animals the snakes queztal jaguars macraws caimens and crocodiles . the National zoo has the amazonia exhibit that is great --- it is a 3 story green house and it transitions from pools all the way up to the forest tops . I went to the Transvaal snake park many years ago and this was pretty interesting just reptiles tho.

How about Tree Zoos?

They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum

And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you got till it's gone

They paved paradise, and put up a parking l

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

San Diego is quite good, as is Singapore. I also found Sydney interesting, but a notch below Singapore and San Diego.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Matt you may "boo the zoo" but realize that as more & more species near extinction the zoo will be the only place they can still exist.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Great point Paul. Important not to throw out the baby with the bath water here. Zoos that utilize sub standard practices like killing their "excess stock" should suffer the consequences. But there are many that do good work and contribute to preservation.

Reality is many palms from Madagascar, cichlids from Lake Victoria and other animals are facing extinction. Responsible private collectors, aquariums and zoos can be part of the solution. But simply reacting in a blanket fashion eliminates the positives zoos offer. And with reality dictating that the "evils" in this world that negatively impact species are not going away, we have solve problems thoughtfully.

How about that Southern/Appalachian connection for Aquariums? 3 of the top ten within a few hours drive of each other:

Atlanta, Chattanooga and Gatlinburg.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

And don't blame the animals....blame man.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Important not to throw out the baby with the bath water here. Zoos that utilize sub standard practices like killing their "excess stock" should suffer the consequences. But there are many that do good work and contribute to preservation.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but what is a zoo to do with animals that reproduce freely and they are not endangered in the wild and no other zoo wants them? Wouldn't it be reasonable to youth-an-eyes them and feed the lions?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Important not to throw out the baby with the bath water here. Zoos that utilize sub standard practices like killing their "excess stock" should suffer the consequences. But there are many that do good work and contribute to preservation.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but what is a zoo to do with animals that reproduce freely and they are not endangered in the wild and no other zoo wants them? Wouldn't it be reasonable to youth-an-eyes them and feed the lions?

That is a fair question. We pet owners are well aware of dogs' and cats' ability to breed. And there are steps we can take to prevent breeding.

So if us common folk know better, what excuse does a zoo have? If they truly have animal experts and they know there is no demand for offspring of a species yet they let them breed? Poor planning and management. Shame on them. If you want the privilege of being a zoo and working with aniimals, then be responsible too.

Went to Henry Doorly again during my vacation last week. (zoo member) Still awesome, lots of construction for the new Savana project to be completed in 2017. I understand the ethical concerns of some, but with the breeding and conservation plans for many endangered species I feel the scales are more than balanced.

my $0.02

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

While not a zoo exactly.

Noon nook botanical garden also has animals .

That's where I got molested by a couple of orangs.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f