IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The west coast is experiencing record heat and drought!

yachtingone

I found this link that is riveting about our record high temps and drought the whole west coast states are dealing with!

http://www.weatherwest.com/

It is totally possible that very large cities could run out of water! The Colorado River system, which So Cal depends on is critically low. All dams are at least bellow 50% of capacity.

Because of record heat water for our lawns is being used in record amounts. It's time to start thinking that lawns in a desert environment that we live should be outlawed all together. Schools, parks & golf course should be where the only grass is grown here.

The farmers who are hurting for a lack of water would benefit from lawns going away! I personally hate the sounds of lawns being maintained.

Do you take this condition seriously?

Randy

test

Yet, it is the opposite in the South. Coolest summer I ever remember. Now as much rain as our record year last year, but more than normal. This being just 3 years away from an all time record drought. I want to say, for whatever reason, what an odd world we live in, but I am really not sure it it is that, or that fact that we are so much more aware on a micro scale of what is happening.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The only good news on the drought in California is they are catching tuna off the coast of Santa Barbara, much further north than normal due to warmer water. This suggests we are setting up for a significant El Nino next winter in which case we should see a warmer but much, much wetter winter here in California. I certainly hope so.

patrick

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

I'm a fan of my small lawn, but continue to shrink it in favor of more drought tolerant landscaping. 90% of my 1/3 acre is mulched. I have been thinking of going artificial given how nice looking those options are getting. However, there's a ton of water waste going on, and families should not be the first to suffer IMO. Golf courses, for example, should be the first place irrigation is either shut down or used to fund source development. What a vast expanse of wastefulness that is, just so rich old guys can smack a little white ball around. Let's get real and really jack up rates on gratuitous wastefulness like that, and hopefully we can channel those funds into more water sources/de-salination plants/etc.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

EL NINO

TO THE RESCUE!

Super Kid!

Flooding dried lakes in a single, er, well, you know . . .

I hope.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You should rephrase that; Serious? Yes. Worried? No. Weather's like the stock market.

Agree, extensive lawns in dry climates are a massive waste of both money and water resources. Explained by a teacher years ago, if the lawn area of any given residence is mostly un-used on a regular basis, it is wasted space.

As for El Nino, don't count on what might occur this winter to break the drought.. a weak to marginally moderate event is currently being forecasted.. The odds for the "Super" event touted earlier this year are next to none. Plus, after 3 years of negative rainfall, it will take at least 2 back to back ++ winters to get things back to relative normal. Saw a report stating that the drought may continue through 2015. Not Good..

It is time to tap the sea..

-Nathan-

I've been hearing it's

You should rephrase that; Serious? Yes. Worried? No. Weather's like the stock market.

I am not worried, but I sure get annoyed when the City of Glendora fines people for not watering their lawns.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/17/to-water-or-not-to-water-glendora-couple-getting-mixed-messages-about-brown-lawn/

Right on man. Precisely why there is an average. Some above and some below.

I love my lawns. I think golf courses are a waste , also huge polluters, imagine all, the NTG leaching into the ground from the expansive lawns...

I love my lawns. I think golf courses are a waste , also huge polluters, imagine all, the NTG leaching into the ground from the expansive lawns...

Netafim drip lines under the turf makes it possible to grow a lawn with very little water. Those things don't clog even if they're buried. I am actually planning on putting my lawn back now that I've familiarized myself with how those things work. They can even take gray water.

Wow

Netafim drip lines under the turf makes it possible to grow a lawn with very little water. Those things don't clog even if they're buried. I am actually planning on putting my lawn back now that I've familiarized myself with how those things work. They can even take gray water.

Wow

So are they buried under sod? Never seen those?

Right on man. Precisely why there is an average. Some above and some below.

The big fear is that the average will lower over time. What's drought today could be the normal of tomorrow. If that happens, alas. I might have to be Brahea Dave as opposed to Dave of the Archontophoenix.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've been hearing it's

I am not worried, but I sure get annoyed when the City of Glendora fines people for not watering their lawns.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/07/17/to-water-or-not-to-water-glendora-couple-getting-mixed-messages-about-brown-lawn/

hoo, hoo baby.

This isn't the first time a city and the State of Cali have locked horns. Sort of, albeit indirectly. I remember back during the Malathion Wars against the Medfly when one set of copters sprayed malathion and the cops told them to stop. They didn't.

If the Ag Commisioner of a county wants to declare martial (not marital) law, s/he can, and maybe it might come to that in this case, though the citizenry will be PO'd.

Yes, you put them right under the turf. The 12mm 0.4GPH every 12 inches do the trick.

http://www.netafimusa.com/files/applications/landscape/case-studies/solutions-by-netafim-DeltaBluegrass.pdf

I would use MP Rotators for a large rectangular lawn like the pictured one in your link. In my opinion, subsurface Netafim is most applicable for very narrow or very irregular shaped beds.